Meeting House - Built on a rocky ledge, 1000 feet above sea level, and visible
for scores of miles in all directions, this is the ancient church, erected in
1781, whose first settled minister was Rev. John Bruce, whose wife was Lois Wilkins,
great, great grand-daughter of Bray Wilkins. Rev. Mr. Bruce was the pastor from
1784 until his death in 1809, and among his parishoners were many members of the
Wilkins family. The church building was moved across the street to its present
site in 1837 and a tower and new front added. It is now used as a town hall.
hundred years ago, Mont Vernon was known for its summer hotels.
Hotel, one-hundred feet square and four stories high, was located on a hill
above the village. It was struck by lightning on Labor Day, 1930, and burned down.
Three Queen Anne-style "cottages" belonging to the hotel are now private
homes. [See photograph in "Photographs"
hotels in the village were the Bellevue, Hillsborough House and the Mount Vernon
House. The site of the Mount Vernon House is now a park in the center of the village.
and Genealogy of Mont Vernon, Hillsborough County, New Hampshire
Copyright 2001-2018 |All Rights Reserved
email to the webmaster