History and Genealogy of Manchester, Hillsborough County NH
 
Main Page
Main Page
History
History
Genealogical Research
Genealogy
Maps and Statistics
Maps & Statistics
Historic Places
Stories & Tales
Resources
Resources
Photographs
Photographs
Public Buildings
Historic Places
Organizations
Organizations
NEWSCity NEWS
Useful LinksUseful Links
Family Trees
Family Trees
About Us - Contact Me
About Us/Contact
Site MapSite Map

Adobe Acrobat Reader
(a free program)
is needed to view some of the documents on
this web site

CLICK HERE to get Adobe Acrobat Reader - a free program
 
H I S T O R I C   P L A C E S   - Manchester NH


Visit the Cow Hampsha Shop!

HISTORIC BUILDINGS/HOUSES in Manchester, N.H.
from
NATIONAL REGISTER INFORMATION SYSTEM
or
New Hampshire Register of Historic Places

Addition Information about the architects
for these buildings may be found here.

Take a great walking tour of Manchester NH [see brochure in PDF]

Building name
location
date listed in register (National unless otherwise stated)
notes/comments
Ash Street School Bounded by Ash, Bridge, Maple, and Pearl Sts. Second Empire Architecture. Built in 1874, the Ash Street School served as an elementary school, then as school administrative offices until 2005.

Athens Building aka Palace Theatre |
Photo #2

76--96 Hanover St. note: adjacent to the Palace Theatre; Architects (from NRIS): Stevens,George W. Multiple
Building at 418--420 Notre Dame Ave

2nd St. Mary's Bank (now demolished)
418--420 Notre Dame Ave. First Credit Union in the USA, building that originally housed St. Mary’s Bank Credit Union in 1909. [Now the America's Credit Union Museum]
Carpenter and Bean Block | Photo #2 1382-1414 Elm St. Nehemiah Bean & Josiah Carpenter built this Italianate
style building between 1875-1899.
Carpenter, Frank Pierce House | Photo #2 1800 Elm St. The home of the Carpenter family on North Elm Street was bequeathed to the local Red Cross who had its offices there.
192 Orange Street
Opening in October of 1929, it was founded from a bequest of former New Hampshire Governor Moody Currier and his third wife, Hannah Slade Currier.
District A Bounded by Pleasant, State, Granite, and Bedford Sts
see descriptions on left
Amoskeag Manufacturing Company Housing Districts
District B
Roughly bounded by Canal, Mechanic, Franklin, and Pleasant Sts.
see descriptions on left
District C Roughly bounded by N. Hampshire Lane, Hollis, Canal, and Bridge Sts.
see descriptions on left
District D Roughly bounded by Canal, Langdon, Elm, and W. Brook Sts.
see descriptions on left
District E 258--322 McGregor St.
see descriptions on left
Dunlap Building | multiple photographs 967 Elm St.

2004-06-09
[National Register Info]

Initially built in 1879, the structure was substantially redesigned in 1908 by Chase Roy Witcher; it is the earliest known work of this prominent NH architect. Photograph from "The Old Stone Wall" newsletter, Summer 2004 (PDF file)
Gay, Alpheus, House

Architecture of this house
184 Myrtle St.
Grace Episcopal Church 106 Lowell St.
State Register
2001-10-25

Consecrated on December 4, 1860, by Bishop Chase. During the next 25 years the structure and ornamentation of the church underwent many changes.

Harrington--Smith Block

Older Photographs
aka Opera Block
18--52 Hanover St. Built by businessmen Harrington and Smith, has housed a variety of businesses over the years.
H.E. Netsch & Sons Blacksmithing (scroll down) 344 Second Street
State Register
2006-10-30
A rare example of a 20th century, and Manchester's last operating, blacksmith shop.
Hill--Lassonde House | Photo #2

aka Burgess-Hill House
269 Hanover St. Built in 1850 for Amoskeag machinist Alpheus Burgess. It is typical of the middle-class homes build in Manchester in the middle 1800s.
Hoyt Shoe Factory | Photo #2 477 Silver and 170 Lincoln Sts. This is one of two large shoe factories built by Francis M. Hoyt in Manchester, New Hampshire (opened in 1892)
Hubbard, Thomas Russell, House | Photo #2

aka Hubbard-Varney House
220 Myrtle St. Thomas Russell Hubbard built this house in 1867 in the Italian Villa style.
Kimball Brothers Shoe Factory | Photo #2 335 Cypress St. Built by 1885. Recently renovated for use as apartments; O.I. & N.W Kimball of Lynn MA. wings added in 1885 (boiler house and coal), 1890 and 1900.
Manchester City Hall 908 Elm St. Built in 1844-45 to replace a previous building that was destroyed by fire.
New Hampshire State Union Armory 60 Pleasant St. Also known as Hermsdorf Manufacturing Building (a plastics manufactory); designed as a variation of the Romanesque architecture it was built as the first state armory in NH.
Eugene & Marie Quirin House 250 Coolidge Avenue
State
2006-05-01
The Queen Ann-style building was constructed in 1906 by Eugene and Marie Quirin as their private residence. Now owned and operated as a business by Phaneuf Funeral Homes.
Old Post Office Block 54-72 Hanover St.
1986-12-01
[See National Register Info]
Daily Mirror Building
District #2 Schoolhouse/Old High School 88 Lowell Street District
State
2003-01-27
In 2007 the NH Institute of Art purchased this historic two-story brick structure, built in 1841 and known as Manchester's first high school.
Smith and Dow Block | Photo #2


1426-1470 Elm St.

Built in 1881, constructed of red pressed brick, limestone, granite and terracotta.
2002-12-13
A commercial building designed by John T. Flanning in the Queen Anne style. The building once housed the Manchester Opera House, later the Strand movie theatre (which burned in 1985).
Smyth Tower 718 Smyth Rd.
1978-07-24
The gothic stone Smyth Tower at the Manchester, NH VA Medical Center dates back to 1888. It was former NH Governor Fredrick Smyth’s hideaway retreat. Smyth later served on the Board of the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers. This was an agency taking care of veterans before VA was created.
St. George's School and Convent 12 Orange St. This Romanesque building dating from the late 19th century has now been converted to multiple apartments
Stark, Gen. John, House 2000 Elm St.
1973-06-29
Stark Park Bounded by N. River Rd., Park Ave., and the Merrimack River

1995-06-14

[See National Register Info]

Stark Park is built around the original Stark Burial Plot, on land that was once part of the Stark family farm. In 1896, this plot of land was expanded to 30 acres and became a neighborhood park and a historic treasure.
Straw, William Parker, House 282 N. River Rd. Built in 1923 while Straw was agent of the Amoskeag Company, designed by Hutchins and French of Boston. It is the finest example of Tudor style, Period Revival residential architecture in Manchester. In 1955 converted to doctors offices, but was corrected in 1986 for law offices.
Sullivan, Roger G, House | 2nd Photo

See an older photograph of this house and more about Roger G. Sullivan
168 Walnut St.
2004-03-10
The Roger G. Sullivan House is a fine example of the Queen Anne style. In 1889 Roger Sullivan built his first factory. In 1892 he built this as a new home in the Queen Anne style, on the corner of Walnut and Prospect Streets. The designer was William M. Butterfield.
The 1937 (Airport) Terminal (scroll down to see photo and description) 13 East Perimeter Road (Londonderry)
State
2004-07-26
Moved across two runways to a new location to preserve it, it is now the home of the NH Aviation Historical Society.
Varney School | 2nd Photo | 3rd photo 84 Varney St. Nineteenth century schoolhouse, built in 1890 in the victorian style; now being used for elderly apartments.
Victory Park Historic District
(generally bounded by Chestnut, Pine, Amherst & Concord Streets)
405 Pine, 148 Concord, 111 and 129 Amherst Sts. Victory Park itself is on Chestnut St., between Concord and Amherst St.
Weston Observatory
photograph | photograph #2
Oak Hill, Derryfield Park.

The granite came from the Vailey quarry in Allenstown NH. It was built by the City of Manchester with funds provided by native-born, ex-Governor James Weston for that purpose.
The cornerstone for this granite tower was laid in 1896 during the semi-centennial celebration of the city. It was dedicated and opened to the public on 6 Sep 1897.
Zimmerman House 223 Heather St.
Owned by Currier Gallery of Art multiple photos

Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1951.
More Historic Places and Buildings
Auburn, Pine, Valley & Willow Streets
09/10/04
State
04/28/2003

[See National Historic Register Info]
Hallsville School 293 Jewett St. Built in 1891. Still used as an elementary school for the city.
More Buildings and Places of Interest, although not as yet deemed "Historic"
Olzendam House 118 Ash St. Built in 1885 for Abraham Olzendam, Now the Ash Street Inn (also see Photographs page)
Masonic Home | Photo #2 813 Beech St.   The Masonic Home was built about 1903.

History and Genealogy of Manchester, Hillsborough County, New Hampshire
at SEARCHROOTS
Copyright 2001-2014 |All Rights Reserved
Send email to the webmaster