to: 1896 Description of Cemeteries in Manchester NH
semi-centennial book of Manchester, 1846-1896, by George F. Willey; Manchester,
N.H.: G.F. Willey, 1896
"The city owns two large cemeteries,
beautiful now and growing in beauty with age. The older of the two, known as the
"Valley Cemetery," is situated on the southern verge of the compact
part of the city, and the industry of business is encircling it with manufactories,
though in 1840, when the Amoskeag Company gave it to the city, it was considered
far out of town. It contains nineteen and seventenths acres, and is bounded by
Auburn, Pine, Valley and Willow Streets. The conditions of the deed are such that
the land can be used for no other purposes than for a burying-ground and the Company
reserved the right to flow the valley in it through which the Cemetery brook passes.
The lots are now all taken up, and as early as 1855 the need for another resting-place
for the dead became so apparent as to cause the purchase by the city in that year,
from John S. Kidder and George M. Flanders, of two adjacent tracts of land about
two miles and a half south of the city hall, between the Calef road and the River
road. These contained about forty acres and were called the "Pine Grove Cemetery."
accordance with the provisions of the deed of the Valley a committee
was appointed in 1841 to assume its charge and has been annually
appointed since, the Pine Grove being also placed under its
care. The formal dedication occurred on the fifth of July, 1841,
when the Sunday schools of the city, accompanied by many citizens
and escorted by the Stark Guards, marched in procession to the
Street cemetery sits on 20 acres donated by the Amoskeag Manufacturing
Company in 1840. As this lot had a deep ravine or "valley"
running through the middle of it, it was called Valley Cemetery
(not Valley "St." cemetery). It was to be modeled
after Mount Auburn Cemetery in Mass, and be landscaped and serve
as a showplace for carriage rides and strolls, even picnics!
It did for a while.
SEE Article: Sleep
Sweetly: Manchester New Hampshire's Connection to Marchiness
Margaret (Fuller) Ossoli - Blog: Cow Hampshire [How
the son of Margaret Fuller Ossoli happened to have been buried
in Valley Cemetery for a while]
NOTE: All of the photographs
on this web page are the personal property and copyrighted ©
by Kathi Webster. She may be contacted through the webmaster.
All rights reserved. These photographs should not be reused
in any manner without the owner's consent except outlined below.
These photographs may NOT be used for any public purposes
(including publication or exhibition) without her express written
permission. They may NOT be used in any publication or document,
electronic or otherwise, that is offered for sale. They MAY
be copied or printed by individuals who have a genealogical
interest, for their own personal use. Doing otherwise violates
CLICK on the thumbnail
photographs to see a larger view.
Cemetery Manchester NH - this impressive tomb in style of Greek temple -- of Frederick
Smythe (died 1899), twice Governor. Abraham Lincoln spoke at his home in March
1860 and Smythe introduced the pre-president Lincoln to NH citizens. One can see
this stone has quite a bit of graffiti on it.
Chapel door, dedicated 1932, gothic style, no longer in use.
for Mary Elliot - founder of Elliot Hospital
door on the "Harrington" tomb. Done in the form of an Egyptian temple.
Was twice Mayor of Manchester. This photo (as have others) has been computer-enhanced
to show more details.
"city tomb" was built into the hillside to store coffins in the frozen
on the side of the City Tomb
of one of the fine and mature trees in the cemetery
for Moody Currier (died 1898), once state senator and governor. Uncanoonuc Mtns
of the long and overgrown staircases that lead from the "top" landscape
to the "valley"
picture taken in the "valley" of one of the mausoleums. At one time
this was a beautifully landscaped area with flowers, small bridges, etc.
leading back up the other side of the valley.
door of the chapel, very color enhanced. Not sure why, but I like this door.
long shot of the small chapel. Perhaps had stained glass windows, long gone.
planted down this road "like columns"
of gravestones. Many stones in poor shape, hard to read dates or names.
beneath the yew, a stone -- and grave of one of the Blood family
of early settlers were moved from the earlier Christian Brook Cemetery, along
with their stones, to this site. This is on the left, Samual Stark (1727-1800),
brother of Revolutionary War hero "Gen John Stark" (aka "Live Free
or Die" motto) and Samuel's wife Elizabeth Stark (1739-1818).
more wide angled shot of the cemetery with path to the right.
tree over an interesting stone.
bark on a tree in Valley Cemetery
and Genealogy of Manchester, Hillsborough County, New Hampshire
Copyright 2001-2015 |All Rights Reserved
email to the webmaster