Hillsborough County New Hampshire - History & Genealogy
 


TOWN - CITY LIST
This page contains a brief history of every town in Hillsborough NH, along with genealogy resources that are town specific. To learn how to research your family tree in NH go to "Genealogical Resources"

Visit NH.GOV
Seal of New Hampshire - Live Free or Die
VISIT NH Genealogy & History web site
 
Town/City
Description
First granted in 1728 as Narragansett #3, the town was named after Lord Jeffrey Amherst, commander-in-chief of the colonials in the French and Indian War. Settled c1733, incorporated 1760. Amherst was the birthplace of Horace Greeley, founder of the New York Tribune. Amherst was the county seat of Hillsborough Co NH from 1769 to 1864.
This town was settled prior to the American Revolution, but did not receive its incorporated name until 1777. It was named for County Antrim in Ireland, which was the native home of the land’s owner, Philip Riley.
Established in 1730 as Narragansett #5 for the benefit of soldiers who fought against the Narragansett Indians in RI. It was regranted first as Souhegan East, then incorporated as Bedford in 1750. The town was named for Lord John Russell, fourth Duke of Bedford, a close friend of Governor Benning Wentworth.
This area was settled prior to 1800. The town was part of Society Land and was comprised of former portions of Hancock, Greenfield, Deering, and Francestown, the town was named in commemoration of the Battle of Bennington, fought on August 14-16, 1777, near Bennington, VT. Vermont's Bennington was named for Governor Benning Wentworth.
First a part of Dunstable, then settled as West Hollis, the town was granted in 1769 as Raby. Governor John Wentworth named the town in honor of his cousin, fourth Earl of Strafford and Baron of Raby Castle, in County Durham, England. The town was renamed in 1798 at the suggestion of one of the town's leading citizens, who hailed from Brookline, MA.
Formed from area earlier known as Cumberland. Incorporated in 1774 from Society Land by Governor John Wentworth, the town was named Deering, the family name of his wife, Frances Deering Wentworth. At the time of the Revolution, John and Frances Wentworth left for Nova Scotia, then went to England, where Frances became a lady-in-waiting to Queen Charlotte, wife of George III.
Incorporated: 1772. Formed from New Boston, and a portion of Society Land. Named for Frances Deering Wentworth, wife of Governor John Wentworth. Situated on the Second New Hampshire Turnpike, the sole route between Boston and Vermont, the town once collected a toll of one cent per mile from travelling coaches and wagons.
This town, as part of Massachusetts, used the names Narragansett Number 4, Piscataquog Village, and Shovestown before installation of the NH provincial government. In 1748, the area was regranted to new settlers, including Colonel John Goffe, for whom the town was officially named. Incorporated in 1761. The town includes the village of Grasmere, named for the English home of poets Wordsworth and Coleridge.
First settled in 1753 by the Lynde family, the town was known as Lyndeborough Addition. The Monadnock hills cut residents off from church and school, so in 1791 they petitioned for the right to form their own town. The name was chosen to indicate the town's location on a level, fertile ground between the hills.
Once a part of Mason, Greenville is one of the state's newest and smallest towns, incorporated in 1872. The town is located at the High Falls on the Souhegan River. Former village names include Mason Harbor, Mason Village, and sometimes Souhegan Village.
Hancock started as an unidentified settlement on the Contoocook River, in lands known as "Society Land" or Cumberland, which had been reserved for the proprietors of the lands which became New Hampshire. First settled in 1764, the town was named Hancock in 1779 in honor of John Hancock, first governor of Massachusetts, president of the Continental Congress, and signer of the Declaration of Independence.
First granted in 1735 by Governor Jonathan Belcher of MA as #7, one in a line of 9 towns set up as defense barriers against Indian attacks. The towns were renamed following the 1741 establishment of New Hampshire as a separate province. In 1748, the town was named for Wills Hill, Earl of Hillsborough, (as was Hillsborough County), created in 1769 by Governor John Wentworth. Incorporated in 1772. Hillsborough is the birthplace of Franklin Pierce, 14th President of the United States, the only President from NH. This town is sometimes spelled "Hillsboro" in records.
Incorporated in 1746 (and known as "Holles") by Governor Benning Wentworth, the town takes its name from a very old English family. Governor Wentworth's ancestor, Thomas Wentworth, first Earl of Strafford, was married to Arabella Holles, daughter of John Holles, Earl of Clare. [A second source states it was named for Thomas Pelham Holles, Duke of New Castle, who was colonial secretary.] Hollis was first called West Dunstable, or Nittisset, which at one time was part of Groton, Massachusetts, and is now Nashua. Also called Nottingham West.
Once a part of Nottingham, MA, the town was separated in 1741, and named Nottingham West. Owing to confusion with the town of Nottingham in the north, voters petitioned to have the town renamed in 1830. The name Hudson was chosen because of its position near the Merrimack River, once supposed to flow east from the Hudson River, creating the boundary line between MA and NH.
Known as Naticook until 1729 when the land was granted as Brenton's Farm to William Brenton, Governor of RI. Following Brenton's death in 1749, the land was granted to new settlers, and named in honor of George Henry Lee, Earl of Litchfield. Litchfield was the opposite landing-site of Thornton's Ferry, originating across the Merrimack River in the town of Merrimack.
First known as Salem-Canada, this land was granted to soldiers from Salem, Massachusetts, who had fought in New England's first war with Canada about 1690. When the new provincial government in New Hampshire came into being in 1763, a portion of Salem-Canada was regranted to Benjamin Lynde. Mr. Lynde was a chief justice of Massachusetts and presided over the trial involving the Boston Massacre. In the latter part of the 1800's, Lyndeborough was known as a glass-making center.
First known as Harrytown and Tyng's Town, the town was granted as Derryfield in 1751. The name Manchester was suggested by Samuel Blodgett, a businessman who found that the Amoskeag Falls impeded shipping on the Merrimack River. After visiting Manchester, England, he was determined to build a canal like those in England. The canal was first opened in May 1807. Mr. Blodgett’s goal was to make the town a great city, and although he died in September 1807, it was renamed Manchester in 1810, and incorporated as a city in 1846.
First known as Number 1, the first in a line of border towns including area allotted to this state by MA upon establishment of NH as a separate state in 1741. The town's charter was granted in 1749, and in 1768, Governor John Wentworth named it in honor of New Hampshire's founder, Captain John Mason. Captain Mason was the holder of patent with title to the land that became New Hampshire. Mason is the boyhood home of "Uncle Sam," Samuel Wilson.
Although first occupied about 1665, permanent settlement did not begin until 1722, when the establishment of Brenton's Farm (Litchfield) presented the need of a ferry across the river to reach new settlements. The ferry concession was owned by Edward Lutwyche. When the town was separated from Nashua (then Dunstable) in 1746, it was given the name of the river, Merrimack. In 1774, Lutwyche's Ferry was sold to Revolutionary War patriot Matthew Thornton, giving it the current name of Thornton's Ferry.
Incorporated in 1794, the town was probably named for its location near a shallow water crossing on the Souhegan River by an early mill site known as the Mill Ford. It was separated from the town of Monson, which ended up on the Massachusetts side of the border. Milford is also known as the Granite Town, because of extensive high-quality granite quarries.
Named in honor of George Washington's Virginia estate, which got its name from Admiral Edward Vernon. George Washington's brother, Lawrence, the original owner of the estate, served under Admiral Vernon as an officer. Although probably not the reason for selecting this name, Admiral Vernon was also a close friend of Governor Wentworth.

Settled c1655, incorporated. as a city 1853. Originally part of a grant to Edward Tyng of Dunstable, England, the 200 square mile area, called Dunstable, included Nashua, Tyngsboro MA, and other border towns. In 1741 the town was cut in half when the Massachusetts-New Hampshire border was established. The northern half kept the name Dunstable. In 1836 the town took the Nashua River’s name, a Nashaway Indian word for “beautiful river with a pebbly bottom.” Nashua became a manufacturing center, powered by the Middlesex Canal which connected the Merrimack River to Boston.

First granted by Governor Jonathan Belcher of Massachusetts in 1736 to several Boston families. The town was to have been called Lanestown or Piscataquog Township. Not all the grantees took up their claims, and the land was regranted ten years later to colonizers from Londonderry, New Hampshire. In 1763, Governor Benning Wentworth formally adopted the long-used name of New Boston.
Granted in 1735, this town was named by settlers from Ipswich, MA. New Hampshire's provincial government incorporated the town as Ipswich in 1762 and as New Ipswich in 1766. New Hampshire’s first cotton mill was built here in 1804, ancestor to the cotton-producing centers of Waltham and Lawrence, MA, and Manchester, NH.

"Old" Dunstable

(not a current township)

The town of Dunstable was created by the colony of Massachusetts, but in 1741 transferred to the colony of New Hampshire. Nearly all the territory embraced within the bounds of the present Hillsborough County, New Hampshire, originally comprised a portion of the old town of Dunstable, which was granted by Massachusetts October 16, 1673 (O.S.), and embraced the prent town of Tyngsborough, the east part of Dunstable, a narrow gore on the east side of Pepperell and a tract in the northeast part of Townsent, Mass., and the towns of Litchfield, Hudson, portions of Londonderry, Pelham and nearly all the present towns of Nashua and Hollis and parts of Amherst, Milford and Brooklin, in New Hampshire.
Chartered in 1746, this town takes its name from Henry Pelham, Prime Minister of England, a relation of Governor Benning Wentworth, and younger brother of Thomas Pelham Holles. The town was originally a part of Old Dunstable, which was split when the New Hampshire-Massachusetts boundary line was changed in 1741.
Although not known for certain, this town was probably named from Charles Mordaunt, third Earl of Peterborough. Other possibilities include it having been named Peter's Borough for Peter Prescott, clerk of the Masonian Proprietors, or for St. Petersburg in Russia. Peterborough was among the soldier's towns named during the term of Governor Jonathan Belcher when New Hampshire was still a province of Massachusetts. The town had the first free public library supported by taxation, and the first mill in the state that wove cloth mechanically. It is home to the MacDowell Colony, a retreat for writers, artists, and composers. Guests have included Edward Arlington Robinson, Leonard Bernstein, and Thornton Wilder, whose play "Our Town" was inspired by Peterborough.
Sharon was first settled in 1738 as part of Peterborough, known as Peterborough Slip or Sliptown. It was incorporated as Sharon in 1791 following the readjustment of a number of town lines. The name was that of a Connecticut town from which many settlers had come.
Like Sharon, this town was originally known as Peterborough Slip when first granted in 1750. Temple was incorporated in 1768 in honor of John Temple, lieutenant governor under John Wentworth. Temple was son-in-law to James Bowdoin, for whom Bowdoin College is named. Temple was home to the Temple Glass Works, founded in 1780. The short life of the business makes Temple glass rare and sought after today.
Starting as a 1735 grant to soldiers in the Canadian wars, this town was named Beverly-Canada, for the soldiers' home town of Beverly, Massachusetts. It then went through the names Halestown, Robiestown, and Wearestown. In 1764 it was incorporated as Weare, in honor of Colonel Meshech Weare, who served as the town's first clerk. Colonel Weare served New Hampshire as its first "president" from 1776 until 1785.
This tract, including Lyndeborough and the north part of Wilton, received the name of Salem-Canada.Wilton started as Number 2, one of the towns on the state's border laid out in the 1730's, intended to provide protection against Indian attacks. The town was first granted in 1749, and was regranted in 1762 as Wilton. It was probably named for Sir Joseph Wilton, a famous English sculptor. Wilton's coach design for King George III's coronation was later used as a model for the Concord Coach.
Originally known as Campbell's Gore, this town was incorporated as Windsor, after Windsor, Connecticut, the hometown of James Campbell, an early grant recipient. Windsor is the smallest town in New Hampshire south of the White Mountains.Incorporated 1798.
 
HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, NEW HAMPSHIRE -- TOWNS/CITIES

AMHERST

PHOTOGRAPHS

  • Historic Photographs, searchable at the Amherst Historical Society web site
  • Birthplace of Horace Greeley - About five miles north of Amherst is the birthplace of Horace Greeley (1811-1872), founder of the New York Tribune, member of Congress, and candidate for President in 1872. Location of NH Historic Marker: About 9 miles west of Manchester, New Hampshire at the intersection of NH 101 and Horace Greeley Road.

MAPS


     ANTRIM

     BEDFORD
  • Official Town of Bedford NH Web Site
  • Town of Bedford
    24 N. Amherst Rd. Bedford, NH 03110
    Phone: 472-5242 Fax: 472-4573
  • Bedford Public Library
    3 Meetinghouse Rd, Bedford, NH 03110
    603-472-2300
    Email: sbarron@bedford.lib.nh.us Include Subject:Bedford Library WebPage
  • Bedford Historical Society
    24 North Amherst Road, Bedford, NH 03110

    Kendall Shop Museum -
    museum of Bedford History; provides programs for Bedford Schools and cultural programs for the public; acquires and preserves historical artifacts.
    Email:
    kayklein@comcast.net
  • FREE History Books Online:
  • GENEALOGY:
    • History & Genealogy of Bedford NH - TXT file (this site) Geography of Bedford, original grant and first settlements, names of early pioneers, the French & Indian War, Colonel John Coffee, War of the Revolution and names of Soldiers, Signers of the Association Test; history of the Presbyterian church in Bedford and early ministers; description of the Centennial Celebration May 19, 1850; early town clerks and representatives, early physicians and lawyers; population; extracts from Matthew Patten's journal, the old militia; Military in the War of 1812; Participants in the War of the Rebellion [Civil War] [from History of Hillsborough County, New Hampshire; Philadelphia: J.W. Lewis & Co., 1885]
    • Old Cemetery, Bedford NH - tombstone inscriptions, photographs - USGennet
    • Old Cemetery, Bedford NH - additional tombstone photographs - this site
    • HISTORY: 1817 Gazeteer of New Hampshire: BEDFORD (online-free)
    • History of Bedford NH - Rays-place.com
    • Marriages in Bedford NH, 1737-1903 - Ray's Place (free)
    • Bedford NH History and Photographs (brief) - Rudymayer.com
    • Bedford Town Records - NH State Library
    • John Goffe's Mill - NH Historic Marker- This is considered the site of Squire John Goffe's log homestead on Bowman's Brook. John Goffe's Mill, now part of the motel complex across the road, was built in 1744 by his grandson, Major John, rebuilt in 1834 by his great grandson, Theodore, following a fire, and again in 1939 by another descendant, Dr. George Woodbury. Prominent in Bedford history, the family name was given to neighboring Goffstown and Goffe's Falls. Four generations of Goffes, with their wives, rest side by side in Bedford's Old Burying Ground. Other descendants rest in the Bedford Center Cemetery.
      Located on US 3, about .2 mile north of its junction with NH 101.
  • SEE Bedford NH Reference for maps and profiles
  • SEE Bedford NH Photographs

     BENNINGTON
  • Official Town of Bennington NH Web Site
  • Town of Bennington
    7 School Street, Unit 101, Bennington, NH 03442
    Phone: 603-588-2189 - Fax: 603-588-8005
  • G.E.P. DODGE LIBRARY
    2 Main Street, PO Box 129, Bennington, NH 03442
    Phone & FAX : (603) 588-6585
    Email: dodgelibrary@adelphia.net
  • GENEALOGY
    • History & Genealogy of Bennington NH - TXT file (this site) -- Description of town of Bennington NH, incorporation, early settlers, early businesses and manufactures, town hall and schools, early history of churches including baptist and congregational, biographical sketches and some genealogical material of early settlers and prominent citizens including: Samuel Abbott, Samuel Baldwin, Hugh Bell, George W. Burns, Arnold Burtt, Josie Caldwell, John and Betsey Carkin, Robert Dinsmore, Horace Fuller Dinsmore, Betsey Dinsmore, Gideon Dodge, John Dodge, John F. Dodge, Moses and Susanna Favor, Emerson Favor, James E. Favor, John W. Flagg, B.F. George, Charles Gray, William Gillis, Caleb Jewett Kimball, Frederick H. Kimball, Andrew Taylor, Nathan Whitney, Samuel Whitney, Frank E. Whitney, Hon. Amos Whittmore, George Alfred Whittemore, John J. Whittmore, George Andrew Whittemore, Wesley Wilson, W.D. Woods, E.F. Woods. [from History of Hillsborough County, New Hampshire; Philadelphia: J.W. Lewis & Co., 1885]
    • Annual Reports of the Town of Bennington NH (with Vital records); Years 1891-1892, 1895, 1925-1926, 1928-1929, 1934-1951, 1953-2003
    • History of Bennington - from official town web site
    • Brief History of Bennington NH - from Keenenh.com
    • Bennington Town Records - NH State Library
    • Factory Village - NH Historical Marker - Directly east was the "Great Falls of the Contoocook," where the river dropped 75 feet in less than a mile. Mills have been located here since 1783. In 1810, one of New England's first cotton mills started here. There has been a paper mill at the site of Monadnock Paper Mills since early in the 19th century. Five dams also powered a cutlery factory, a fulling mill, a powder mill, and a tannery. By the turn of the 20th century, the oldest dam generated electricity for Antrim and Bennington. Now the dams are used by the paper mill for power and flow control. Located on the east side of US 202, near its junction with NH 31.
  • SEE Bennington NH Reference for maps and profiles
  • SEE Bennington NH Photographs

     BROOKLINE

     DEERING
  • Official Town of Deering NH Web Site
  • Villages and Place Names: Cork (West Deering), East Deering
  • Deering NH Town Hall/Town Clerk
    762 Deering Center Road
    Deering, NH 03244
    603 464-3224
  • Deering NH Public Library
    762 Deering Center Road
    Deering, NH 03244
    603 464-3248

  • GENEALOGY & HISTORY:
    • History and Genealogy of Deering NH - TXT file (this site) Geography, geology and description of the town of Deering NH; early documents and roads, library and school-houses; early weather of note; early crimes (murders); early meeting-houses; burying-grounds (cemeteries) in Deering; early town history and settlers (including the following families: Alexander Robinson, William Forsaith, Robert Mills, Samuel Patten, John Shearer, Alexander Hogg, Nenian Aiken; names of soldiers from the town who served during the American Revolution; church history and pastors; early town clerks, selectman and representatives;Genealogical Notices (and descendants) of the families of: Alexander Robinson, William Forsaith, Samuel Patten, William McKeen, William and Thomas Aiken, David Wilson, Reuben Loveren, Abram Gove, John Shearer, Ebenezer Loveren, Alexander Gregg, Robert Fulton, Ebenezer Lock, Stephen Locke, James Whitaker, William Chase, Robert and William McFerson, John Bartlett, John Simons (Symons), Samuel Chase, Jonathan and Stephen Goodale, Joshua Downing, Thomas Merrill, Benjamin Brown, Samuel Brown, Hezekiah Hadlock, Levi Hadlock, Robert Gove, Herod Chase, Joshua Folsom, Thomas Whittle, Amos Chase, Humphrey Peasley [Peaslee], Bray Wilkins, Adam Manahan, Andrew Aiken, Samuel and William Anderson, William Codman, Alexander Hogg, Parker Nois (Noyes), Robert Alcock, Caleb Whitaker, John Morrill, Isaac Smith, Nathaniel Colby, Joseph Kimball, Silas Parker Barnes [Barron], Moses Codman, Evan Dow, Elias Hassel [Hassell], James White, Nathan White, Luther Travis, Adam Dickey, Rolandson Ellinwood, Joseph Dow, Parker Morse, Francis Graham [Grimes], Timothy Wyman, Charles Buttrick, William Waugh, Ezra Fisher, Jacob Bartlett, Hezekiah Wilkins, Phineas Wilkins, James Eaton, Carleton Clement, Benjamin Bullard, George Sumner, Asa Goodnow, Russell Tubbs, Dr. Mical Tubbs, Nathaniel Gove, Isaac Currier, Robert Mills, and others. Biographical Sketches of James Gregg and James Fulton. [ SOURCE: History of Hillsborough County, New Hampshire; Philadelphia: J.W. Lewis & Co., 1885]
    • Inscriptions on some tombstones in an old cemetery in Deering NH [death dates range from 1790 to 1833] - Txt file - this site
    • 1817 Gazeteer of New Hampshire: DEERING
    • Annual Reports of the Town of Deering, New Hampshire (With Vital Statistics -- Births, Marriages & Deaths) for Years: 1891, 1893, 1896, 1901-1907, 1921-1922, 1926-1930, 1932-2008
    • Deering NH Cemeteries, info and slide show
    • List of Deering NH Cemeteries and their location - TXT file
    • Brief History of Deering NH & History Timeline - from the town web site
    • Deering Town Records - NH State Library
  • SEE Deering NH Reference for maps and profiles
  • SEE Deering NH Photographs

"OLD" DUNSTABLE


     FRANCESTOWN
  • Official Town of Francestown NH Web Site: not available
  • Official Town of Francestown NH Web Site
  • Francestown Town Offices
    Mailing Address: P.O. Box 5, Francestown, NH 03043
  • Town Clerk & Tax Collector
    Town Office Building,
    Main Street
    Francestown NH 03043
    Phone: (603) 547-6251
  • George Holmes Bixby Memorial Library
    52 Main Street, PO Box 69
    Francestown, NH 03043-0069
    603- 547-2730
    Email: library@francestown.info
  • Francestown Improvement & Historical Society
    15 New Boston Rd
    Francestown, NH 03043
    (603) 547-3600
  • Francestown: A Walking Tour of the Village of Francestown. Prepared by the Francestown Improvement and Historical Society (2000). Contact: Francestown Improvement and Historical Society, SEE ABOVE.
  • HISTORY BOOKS ONLINE (FREE)
  • GENEALOGY & HISTORY
    • History and Genealogy of Francestown NH - TXT file (this site) - Description of Francestown; the first settlement; Francestown in the American Revolution, and War of 1812; population of town in 1775; church history; Francestown Academy; description of leading citizens; transportation; Biographical Sketches of the families and descendants of Mark Balch and George Kingsbury. [SOURCE: History of Hillsborough County, New Hampshire; Philadelphia: J.W. Lewis & Co., 1885]
    • History of Francestown NH - book online, free, searchable
    • Francestown Town Records - NH State Library
    • Dodge Family Graves - Dodge Family Association
    • Soapstone - NH Historical Marker- A large deposit of highest quality was discovered early in the 19th century at northerly section of Francestown by Daniel Fuller. During the heyday of its popularity, various common uses of this non-metallic mineral (steatite), when quarried, were for sinks, water pipes, stoves, hearths, warming stones, mantels, and industrial purposes. Located about .5 mile east of the center of Francestown village on NH 136
    • Article: Francestown New Hampshire Motorcycle Inventor: Sylvester Howard Roper (1823-1896) - from blog: "Cow Hampshire"
    • Article: Francestown New Hampshire: Is Haunted Lake Haunted? - blog: Cow Hampshire
    • Levi Woodbury - NH Historical Marker - Born in Francestown, this ardent Jacksonian rose to hold some of the nation's highest offices. After serving his state as legislator, judge, and Governor, he became a U.S. Senator, Secretary of the Navy, Secretary of the Treasury, and U.S. Supreme Court Justice. His record of public service has been unmatched by any other New Hampshire citizen. Located near the First Unitarian Church ("The Old Meeting House"-1773) at the junction of NH 136 and NH 47.
    • Article: Francestown New Hampshire Attorney, Governor, Secretary of the U.S. Treasury and Navy, and U.S. Supreme Court Justice: Levi Woodbury (1798-1851) - Blog: Cow Hampshire
    • 1817 Gazeteer of New Hampshire: FRANCESTOWN
    • Sylvester Howard Roper, Inventor b. 1823, Francestown, NH
  • SEE Francestown NH Reference for maps and profiles
  • SEE Francestown NH Photographs

     GOFFSTOWN

GREENFIELD
  • Official Town of Greenfield NH Web Site
  • Town of Greenfield - Town Clerk
    Mailing Address:
    P.O. Box 256
    Greenfield, NH 03047
    Tel. 547-2782 | Fax 547-3004
  • Stephenson Memorial Library
    Forest Road
    Greenfield, NH 03047
    Tel. (603) 547-2790

    Email: stephensonlib@earthlink.net
  • Greenfield Historical Society
    828 Forest Road, Greenfield, NH 03047
    (603) 547-2759
  • HISTORY BOOKS ONLINE (FREE)
  • GENEALOGY & HISTORY
    • History and Genealogy of Greenfield NH - TXT file (this site) - Early organization and incorporation of the town [from Society Land, Lyndeborough Slip, etc]; description of the town of Greenfield; First and early roads; first crops; first mills; animals, wild and domestic; early church history; early ministers; early home life of settlers; school history; military history; cemeteries in Greenfield; school history; early recreation; manufactures, post offices and postmasters; physicians and lawyers; stores and traders; taverns and hotels; Oak Park Association; temperance in Greefield; Greenfield Grange; the Organ Festival; Biographical notices of Major Amos Whittemore and family; Captain Hugh Ramsey; William Abbott; Deacon Joshua Holt; Major Peter Peavey; Thomas Peavey; Jacob Richardson Esq.; early town officers; Biographical Sketches of Dr. John Ramsey, Rev. Samuel Hudson Partridge MD, Charles D. Finch, Deacon Peter Peavey. Many other names mentioned throughout this history. [Source- History of Hillsborough County, New Hampshire; Philadelphia: J.W. Lewis & Co., 1885]
    • HISTORY: 1817 Gazeteer of New Hampshire: GREENFIELD
    • Greenfield Town Records - NH State Library
  • Town Meeting House - NH Historical Marker - The oldest original meeting house in New Hampshire serving both church and state. The frame, built from local timber by resident Hugh Gregg, was raised by one hundred volunteers from the village and surrounding towns on September 16, 1795. This fine old structure has served the people of Greenfield continuously since that time as a gathering place for them to worship their God, to legislate their town's civil affairs and to enjoy the company of their neighbors. Located at the junction of NH 136 and NH 31.
  • Greenfield Congregation Church web site
  • SEE Greenfield NH Reference for maps and profiles
  • SEE Greenfield NH Photographs

GREENVILLE
  • Official Town of Greenville NH Web Site
  • Greenville Town Hall
    PO Box 343, Main Street
    Greenville NH 03048
    Tel 603-878-2084
    Fax 603-878-5038
    Email: greenvillebos@adelphia.net
  • Chamberlin Free Public Library
    46 Main Street
    Greenville, NH 03048
    Phone: (603) 878-1105
  • HISTORY BOOKS ONLINE (FREE)
  • GENEALOGY & HISTORY:
    • History and Genealogy of Greenville NH - TXT file (this site) - Description of the town of Greenville NH; early settlers; early houses, roads and bridges; town officers; business history including dams and water-power, manufactures, stores, post-office, the Peterborough and Shirley Railroad; the Savings Bank, educational history; library; newspapers, college graduates from Greenville; military history; social history (social societies); ecclesiastical (church) history including early preachers/pastors; physicans and lawyers; personal history and prominent people; Biographical Sketch of James Langdon Chamberlain [sic Chamberlin]; For history of this area prior to 1872 (when Greenville separated from the town of Mason) see history of MASON, [Source- History of Hillsborough County, New Hampshire; Philadelphia: J.W. Lewis & Co., 1885]
    • Greenville Town Records - NH State Library
  • SEE Greenville NH Reference for maps and profiles
  • SEE Greenville NH Photographs

HANCOCK
  • Official Town of Hancock NH Web Site
  • Town Office Building
    8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
    50 Main Street, P. O. Box 6, Hancock, NH 03449
    603.525.4441
    Email: office@hancocknh.org
  • Hancock Town Library
    P.O. Box 130 - 25 Main Street,
    Hancock, NH 03449
    Telephone 603.525.4411
    e-mail: fhtl@hancocknh.mv.com
    or library@hancocknh.org
  • Hancock Historical Society
    P.O. Box 138
    7 Main Street
    Hancock, NH 03449
    (603) 525-9379
    Email: hancockhistsoc@webryders.net
  • HISTORY BOOKS ONLINE (FREE):
  • GENEALOGY & HISTORY:
    • Former & Village Names: Putnam's Mills, Hancock Factory Village, Hancock Junction, Elmwood
    • History and Genealogy of Hancock NH - TXT file (this site) - Description of the town of Hancock, NH; incorporation and first settlers; mills and manufactures; village, Hancock Factory; highways, railroads and telegraph; schools and churches; minister biographies; lawyer biographies; prominent individuals and families including those of John Grimes, William Morrison, Robert Duncan & Family, Symonds Family, James Hosley, Ebenezer Ware; Physicians including Dr. Thomas Peabody, Dr. Stephen Kittridge, Dr. Jonas Hutchinson, Dr. Jacob A. Wood, Dr. James M. Stickney, Dr. Levi W. Wilkins, Dr. DeWitt C. Handley, Dr. I. Craigue, Dr. R.G. Mather, Dr. Albert H. Taft, Dr. Horatio McIntire, Dr. A.A. Haig, Dr. Jabez B. Priest, Dr. John Boutelle, Dr. David K. Boutelle, Dr. William H. Weston, Dr. George Bowers, Dr. Cyrus H. Hayward, and many others; Military history of the town including participants in the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, and the Civil War; history of meeting-houses; town officers; biographical sketches of Joseph Davis. Many other brief biographies of Hancock NH people included. [SOURCE: History of Hillsborough County, New Hampshire; Philadelphia: J.W. Lewis & Co., 1885]
    • Hancock Town Records - NH State Library
    • HISTORY: 1817 Gazeteer of New Hampshire: HANCOCK
    • A Brief History of Hancock NH - Keenenh.com
    • Hancock NH History - from a personal web site, not recently updated, but worth seeing
    • Hancock ALIVE - selection of photographs
    • Hancock NH Cemeteries: A copy of inscriptions on the gravestones in the old cemetery, or Pine Ridge cemetery, so called, in Hancock, New Hampshire (1910)
    • The oldest cemetery, Pine Ridge, is located at the intersection of Old Dublin Road and Main Street. Norway Plain Cemetery is behind the Congregational Church and is the second cemetery built in Hancock, on what was known as “the plains”. Hillside cemetery is located on NH Route 137N about 1 mile out of town.
  • SEE Hancock NH Reference for maps and profiles
  • SEE Hancock NH Photographs

HILLSBORO / HILLSBOROUGH (TOWN)
  • Official Hillsborough NH (town) web site
  • Hillsborough NH Town Clerk
    Location: basement of 29 School Street, Hillsborough NH
    Mailing: PO Box 1699, Hillsborough, NH 0324
    Telephone:603.464.5571 | FAX: 603.464.4270
    Email: debbie@hillsboroughnh.net
  • Fuller Public Library - Website #1 | Website #2
    29 School Street, Hillsborough NH 03244
    Mailing: P.O. Box 43, Hillsborough, NH 03244-0043
    Telephone: 603.464.3595 | FAX: 603.464.4572
    Email: fuller_lib@conknet.com
  • The Hillsborough Historical Society
    P.O. Box 896, Hillsborough, NH 03244
    (603) 478-3165
    Email: c_chadwick@conknet.com
  • Hillsborough Chamber of Commerce
  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY:
    • History and Genealogy of Hillsborough / Hillsboro (town) NH - TXT file (this site) - Description of the town of Hillsborough NH including topgraphy, rivers and lakes, the soil, and trees. The first settlements and settlers including James McColley, John McColley, Francis Graham (Grimes), and others; participation of early settlers in the Cape Breton War (Philip Riley), and the French and Indian War. Resettlement of the town in 1763; incorporation of the town, boundaries of the town, naming of the town for Colonel John Hill; the first town meeting and officers, the first meeting-house; The town during the American Revolution including those from Hillsborough who participated, and some brief bios including those of Ammi Andrews, Capt Samuel Bradford, Benjamin Pierce, and Robert B. Wilkins, among others; the Contoocook Bridge; Witches in Hillsborough; Legends of Beasts of Prey and wild game; The town during the War of 1812 and some of its participants; The McNeil family of Hillsborough NH; the War of the Rebellion (Civil War) including a list of those from town who served; early industries in Hillsborough NH; About desertion of the hill farms; forestry and pine timber; Contoocook Mills and "The New Mill," Hillsborough (or Valley) Academy; the Scotch-Irish Element; The professions in town--lawyers, attorney, physicians, and dentists with MANY brief biographies of same; The ministry and the history of the churches in Hillsborough NH, with brief biographies of many of the preachers; secret and social organizations; history of the school system; college graduates including brief biographies; the Fuller Town Library history; history of Valley Bank, later the First National Bank of Hillsborough; the press and early newspapers in Hillsborough NH; early stage routes and stage-drivers; early shops, stores and hotels (Valley Hotel); Early town officers from 1772- including town clerks, moderators of the town meetings, and selectmen; EXTENSIVE biographies of the following AND their genealogies: Francis Grimes, Colonel James Forsaith Grimes, John Gibson Fuller, Abel Conant Burnham, MD, the JONES family of Hillsborough NH, The Goodell, Goodale, Goodall family, and Thomas Newton Goodale, John Butler Smith, and John Gilbert. [SOURCE: History of Hillsborough County, New Hampshire; Philadelphia: J.W. Lewis & Co., 1885]
    • Births, Marriages and Deaths in Hillsborough NH, copied from the First Vol. of Town Records 1772-95 - ALHN-NH
  • Hillsborough Pride - Main Street Program
  • SEE Hillsborough NH Reference for maps and profiles
  • SEE Hillsborough NH Photographs

HOLLIS
  • Official Town of Hollis NH Web Site
  • Hollis Town Clerk
    Office: 3G Market Place
    Mail: 7 Monument Square
    Phone: (603) 465-2064
    FAX: (603) 465-2964

  • Hollis Social Library
    Monument Square
    P. O. Box 659
    Hollis, NH 03049-0659
    603-465-7721
    Email: hollis@hollis.lib.nh.us
  • Hollis Historical Society
    PO BOX 754
    Wheeler House
    Hollis, NH 03079
    Phone: 603-465-3935
    Email: questions@hollis-history.org
  • Windows on Hollis - Photographs, Historic Places, History, People, Architecture
  • Former & Village Names: Dunstable, West Dunstable, Nissitissit, Monson, Holles
  • BOOKS ONLINE (FREE):
  • GENEALOGY & HISTORY:
    • History and Genealogy of Hollis NH - TXT file (this site) - Geographical description of the town of Hollis; early boundary changes and documents; brief descriptions of early settlers including Eleazar Flagg, Capt. Benjamin Abbot, William Adams, Ensign Stephen Ames, Ebenzer Ball, Daniel Bailey, Henry Barton, Benjamin Blanchard, Elnathan Blood, Josiah Blood, Nathaniel Blood, Deacon John Boynton, John Boynton Jr., Joshua Boynton, Ensign Josiah Brown, John Brown, Ephraim Burge, Josiah Conant, Lieut. Robert Colburn, Samuel Cumings Esq. [Cummings], Jerahmael Cumings, Dea. William Cumings, Jonathan Danforth, Thomas Dinsmore, Zedekiah Drury, Lieut Samuel Farley, Lieut Benjamin Farley, Joseph Farley, Eleazer Flagg, Phineas Hardy, Stephen Harris, Deacon Stephen Jewett, Zerubbabel Kemp, James McDonald, William Nevins, David Nevins, Dea. Enoch Noyes, Dea. Thomas Patch, William Pool, Capt. Peter Peter Powers, Moses Proctor, Abraham Taylor, William Tenny [Tenney], Peter Wheeler, John WIlloughby, Rev. Francis Worcester, Dea. Francis Worcester, and Capt. Joshua Wright; description of early farms and homesteads; Family trees of Samuel Leeman, and the Colburn family; Moses Saunders, and Daniel Bailey Sr.; early rules and regulations in Holles; Church and Library history; physicians and college graduates; early deacons; the building of the first meeting-house; postmasters; population 1746-1880; civil history: first town meeting, early town officers; Military History including names of citizens who were members of military companies during the French [King Philips] War; extensive detail on participants in the American Revolution from Holles, including an alphabetical list along with their enlistment date(s) and locations of participation; biographical sketches of some Hollis revolutionary officers and soldiers, including: Nathan Blook, Lieut. William Brooks, Dea. Josiah Conant, Dea. Abel Conant, Ensign John Cumings, Capt. Jotham Cumings, William Cumings, Capt. Reuben Dow, Lieut. Amos Eastman, Capt. Daniel Emerson, Dr. Peter Emerson, Lieut. Ralph Emerson; Capt. Caleb Farley, Minot Farmer, Capt. John Goss, Colonel John Hale, Dr. William Hale, Colonel David Hobart [aka Hubbard]; Col. Samuel Hobart, Lieut Ebenezer Jewett, Dea. Stephen Jewett, Capt. Daniel Kendrick, Ensign Samuel Leeman, Jr., Ensign Thomas Nevins Jr., Dr. Jonathan Pool, Capt. Robert Seaver, Capt. William Tenney; a list of participants from Hollis in the War of 1812; A list (with some detail) of the participants in the War of the Rebellion [Civil War] from Hollis; description of the Soldier's Monument in Hollis; Biographical Sketch of Joseph E. Worcester, LL.D. Many more brief bios and descriptions of early settlers and professionals included here. [SOURCE: History of Hillsborough County, New Hampshire; Philadelphia: J.W. Lewis & Co., 1885]
    • 1817 Gazeteer of New Hampshire: HOLLIS
    • A Brief Early History of Hollis NH - from town's web site
    • Ann's Hollis NH History & Genealogy - a bit outdated, but some good info
    • Marriages in Hollis NH 1743-1877 (surnames: Baldwin, Cook, Parker, Pierce and Proctor ONLY)
    • Some unpublished Hollis NH marriages - from The Granite Monthly (internet archive)
    • Blood Cemetery, Hollis NH; Is it Haunted?
    • Hollis Town Records - NH State Library
  • Silver Lake State Park - Hollis NH
  • SEE Hollis NH Reference for maps and profiles
  • SEE Hollis NH Photographs

HUDSON
  • Official Town of Hudson NH Web Site
  • Town of Hudson
    12 School St. Hudson, NH 03051
    Phone: 603-886-6005 Fax: 594-1142
  • Hills Memorial Library
    18 Library Street
    Hudson, NH 03051-4244
    Phone: 603-886-6030
    | Fax: 603-595-2850
  • Rogers Memorial Library
  • HUDSON NH CEMETERIES - PDF Information on location of all cemeteries with map (pdf)
  • HISTORY BOOKS ONLINE (FREE):
  • GENEALOGY & HISTORY:
    • History and Genealogy of Hudson (and Nottingham West) NH - TXT file (this site) - Boundaries, Topography, Geography and Natural Resources of Hudson NH, including a description of the early town as Dunstable, "Londonderry Claim," Nottingham, Nottingham West, and Hudson NH; early documents ot the town and earlier settlements; tax list of 1733; Brief biographies and genealogies of earliest residents including Joseph Hills, Samuel Hills, Joseph Blodgett and family, John Taylor, Thomas Colburn, Thomas Pollard, Joseph and John Snow, Joseph Winn, Nathan Cross, Eleazer Cummings and the Cummings Family, Zaccheus Spalding and other Spaldings of the area; Zaccheus Lovewell, Jabez Davis, Rev. Nathaniel Merrill; settlement of the province line (boundary changes); the first town meeting and officers; the earliest meeting-houses; bridges and ferries; post offices and postmasters; social library; schools; population statistics; physicians; Nashua and Rochester Railroad; Church History including early preachers (ministers) and deacons, includes Congregational, Baptist, Methodist Episcopal, etc.; Soldiers from Nottingham West in 1748; Soldiers in the French and Indian War of 1754-60; Nottingham West (Hudson) in the American Revolution and residents who participated including committees of safety and bounties paid by the town; Hudson residents who participated in the War of the Rebellion (Civil War) including their companies and dates of muster, etc; list of first town officers in 1733 up to 1884 (for most of the following), moderators, town clerks, selectmen, delegates to the General Court and other positions; Lengthy Biographical Sketches (including ancestry) of Kimball Webster; James B. Merrill, and Eli Hamblet. Many of the early town residents mentioned in this document. [SOURCE: History of Hillsborough County, New Hampshire; Philadelphia: J.W. Lewis & Co., 1885]
    • Hudson Town Records - NH State Library
    • HISTORY: 1817 Gazeteer of New Hampshire: NOTTINGHAM WEST (now Hudson)
  • Hudson NH History and Photographs (brief) - Rudymayer.com
  • SEE Hudson NH Reference for maps and profiles
  • SEE Hudson NH Photographs

LITCHFIELD
  • Official Town of Litchfield NH Web Site
  • Town Clerk/Tax Collector
    2 Liberty Way
    Litchfield NH
    Phone: 603-424-4045
  • Aaron Cutler Memorial Library
    Location 269 Charles Bancroft Highway
    Litchfield New Hampshire 03052
    Phone 603-424-4044
    Email:
    cutlerlibrary@adelphia.net
  • HISTORY BOOKS ONLINE (FREE):
  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY:
    • History and Genealogy of Litchfield NH - TXT file (this site) - Physical description of the town of Litchfield NH; census reports of 1767 and 1775; population reports 1800-1885; history and information about the town's brooks and ferries (including documents / petitions regarding same); early trades and manufactures; brief history of the school system; church history and early clergy and deacons; pioneer history including early settlers; civil history of the town including a list of the proprietors and their tax assessments; incorporation and the first town meetings; resident taxpayers in 1736; duties of the town officers previous to the [American] revolution; About Warnings (Out); Town clerks from 1734-1885; Selectmen and Assessors from 1743-1885; Town Treasurers from 1735-1885; representatives to the General Court from Litchfield from 1775 to 1885; delegates to the Constitutional Convention; Military History including the French and Indian War, the American Revolution, and the Civil War (including names and area of participation if known); lawyers and physicians who practiced in Litchfield; Biographical Sketches of these individuals (and their families in many cases): Captain James F. McQuesten, Wyzeman [sic Wiseman] Claggett [Clagett], James U. Parker, Dr. Jonathan Parker, William McQuesten, Dr. Joseph Barnes, George Griffin.[SOURCE: History of Hillsborough County, New Hampshire; Philadelphia: J.W. Lewis & Co., 1885]
    • HISTORY: 1817 Gazeteer of New Hampshire: LITCHFIELD
    • Litchfield New Hampshire Gold Prospector, Adventurer, and Father of Alaska, Leroy Napoleon "Jack" McQuesten (1836-1900) - Blog: Cow Hampshire
    • Memoir of Judge Wyseman (Wiseman) Clagett, born in Bristol, England, and who d. 4 Dec 1784 in Litchfield NH. He married Lettice Mitchel of Portsmouth NH in 1759. After Wyseman's death, she married 2nd Simon McQuesten and died 2 April 1827 at Bedford NH, age 85 years. Wyseman Clagett conducted the prosectuion against Ruth Blay of South Hampton, who was indicted for concealing the death of a bastard child and executed, from Collections of the New Hampshire Historical Society, Volume III (1832).
    • Litchfield Town Records - NH State Library
  • Litchfield NH History and Photographs (brief) - Rudymayer.com
  • SEE Litchfield NH Reference for maps and profiles
  • SEE Litchfield NH Photographs

LYNDEBOROUGH

MANCHESTER

MASON


MERRIMACK
(Town)
  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY OF MERRIMACK NH (this site) - SEE FIRST
  • Official Town of Merrimack NH Web Site
    Town of Merrimack
    P.O. Box 940 Merrimack, NH 03054-0940
    Phone: 424-3531 Fax: 424-1408
    E-Mail: cddir@ci.merrimack.nh.us
  • Merrimack NH Heritage Committee
  • Merrimack Public Library
    470 D.W. Highway, Merrimack, NH 03054
    Phone: 603-424-5021
    Email: mmkpl@merrimack.lib.nh.us
  • Merrimack Historical Society - meetings, history, biographies, cemetery records and more. . .
  • GENEALOGY & HISTORY
    • ANNUAL REPORTS of the Town of Merrimack NH (WITH Vital Records) -- 1950, 1952, 1954, 1956-1977, 1980-1981, 1983-1994
    • History and Genealogy of Merrimack NH - TXT file (this site) - Description of the town of Merrimack NH, including natural landmarks; the early native American residents, and early settlements; civil history, 1746-74; Revolutionary War 1775-83, including Revolutionary Soldiers from Merrimack (a list); Merrimack Civil History, 1784-1846; the Centennial Anniversary of 1846; Merrimack During the Civil War, 1860-65, and a list of volunteers from Merrimack NH; Merrimack Civil History from 1866 to 1885, including the history of the town house; the condition of the town in 1885 including description of town, manufactures and merchants, hotels, and professional men; public schools; Merrimack church history; The Merrimack Normal Institute (aka the McGaw Normal Institute) and schools in Merrimack NH; Merrimack Civil List--Selectmen, Representatives from 1746 to 1885; Justices of the Peace; Merrimack Secret Societies (Social or Fraternal Organizations); Brief Merrimack Genealogies of the following Families: Barnes, Chamberlain, Fields, Gage, Ingalls, Jones, McGaw, McGilveray, Parker, Spalding, Matthew Thornton's Family and Descendants, Wilkins; Biographical Sketches of Harrison Eaton, M.D., Hon. William T. Parker, and Alexander McCauley Wilkins.. [SOURCE: History of Hillsborough County, New Hampshire; Philadelphia: J.W. Lewis & Co., 1885]
    • Merrimack Town Records - NH State Library
    • Reeds Ferry Town Records (part of Merrimack) - NH State Library
    • HISTORY: 1817 Gazeteer of New Hampshire: MERRIMACK
    • Old Dunstable - NH Historical Marker - Was the original town, chartered by Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1763, which embraced parts of New Hampshire and Massachusetts. The New Hampshire portion of this area, following the determination of the province boundary in 1741, was subsequently divided into Hollis, Hudson, Litchfield, Merrimack, and Nashua. Located south of the Merrimack toll plaza in a service area adjacent to the southbound lanes of the F.E. Everett Turnpike.
    • Matthew Thornton - NH Historical Marker - One of the three New Hampshire men to sign the Declaration of Independence, Matthew Thornton, physician, soldier, patriot, agitated against the Stamp Act of 1765, presided over the Provincial Congress in 1775, served in the State Senate and as an associate justice of the Superior Court. The neaby monument honors his memory. He is buried in the adjacent cemetery. His homestead stands directly across the highway. Located adjacent to the northbound lane of NH 3 in the Village of Thorton's Ferry.
    • Merrimack People: Merrimack New Hampshire Educator and Actress: Marjorie “Maggi” Blanche Parker (1927-still living) - blog: Cow Hampshire
    • Merrimack People: Merrimack New Hampshire International Athlete, Activist for the Disabled: Marilyn Warren Woods (1914-1998)
    • People of Note from Merrimack (biographies on the web site of the Merrimack Historical Society): The Burnap Sisters, Emma Cross, Frank French, Abbie Griffin, Brigadier General Edward J. Haseltine, Martha (Marsh) Jones aka "Nettie Vernon", Mattie (Kilborn) Webster, Walter Kittredge, James Mastricola, Maggi Parker, Betty (Mason) Raymond, Passaconaway, Forrest Percival Sherman, Louis Sperry, James Sheppard Thornton, Matthew Thornton (only buried in Merrimack), Marilyn (Warren) Woods
  • SEE Merrimack NH Reference
  • SEE Merrimack NH Maps & Statistics
  • SEE Merrimack NH Photographs


    MILFORD


  • Official Town of Milford NH Web Site
  • Milford Town Clerk's Office
    Town Hall
    1 Union Square
    Milford, NH 03055
  • Wadleigh Memorial Library
    49 Nashua Street, Milford, NH 03055
    603-673-2408

    Email: refdesk@wadleigh.lib.nh.us
  • Milford Historical Society | Web Site #2
    6 Union Street
    Milford NH 03055
    Phone 603-673-3385
  • GENEALOGY & HISTORY
    • History and Genealogy of Milford NH - TXT file (this site) - Geographical description of Milford, N.H.; separation from the town of Amherst; charter of incorporation of Milford NH; list of the resident tax-payers in Milford, April 1, 1794; settlment of the town; the Kings' Highway; The Milford Academy; The Milford Lyceum; the Library; History of Churches; first town officers; school history; Mills, Businesses, Taverns; Burying-grounds; Temperance and the Anti-Slavery Movement; The Poor Farm; The old and new Town Halls; Milford NH during the Civil War, along with a list of participants; The Hutchinson Family; Civil List of the town from 1795-1850; brief biographies include (but not limited to): Humphrey Moore; (Lawyers) Solomon Kidder Livermore, Gilbert Wadleigh, John J. Bell, Lawrence Dudley Bailey, Bainbridge Wadleigh, Lieut-Col. Oliver W. Lull, John L. Spring, George A. Ramsell, Albert E. Pillsbury, Jonas Hutchinson, Alvaro Hutchinson, Robert M. Wallace, Carl E. Knight; (Physicians) Simeon Smith Stickney, Samuel G. Dearborn, Henry G. Dearborn, Thomas Benton Dearborn, William H.W. Hinds, Darius Stearns Dearborn, Herbert S. Hutchinson (and others); Larger biographical sketches of Clinton Spalding Averill, David Heald, and John W. Hutchinson. [SOURCE: History of Hillsborough County, New Hampshire; Philadelphia: J.W. Lewis & Co., 1885]
    • ONLINE BOOK: The History of Milford NH, Volume 1, By George Allen Ramsdell, William P. Colburn
    • 1896 Vital Statistics (Births, Marriages, and Deaths - Town of Milford NH - TXT file (this site)
    • HISTORY: 1817 Gazeteer of New Hampshire: MILFORD
    • History of Parker's Maple Barn
    • Monson Village
    • Milford Town Records - NH State Library
    • The Edbridge Gould family of Milford NH (in Newton Genealogy)
    • Capt. Josiah Crosby & Lieut. Thompson Maxwell - NH Historic Marker - These two Revolutionary soldiers were settlers near here in the Town of Monson (afterward Amherst, now Milford). Captain Crosby served with distinction at Bunker Hill and marched in defense of Ticonderoga in 1777 and of Rhode Island in 1778. He also served in Amherst as moderator, selectman, and representative to the General Court. Lieutenant Maxwell had the unusual record for a New Hampshire resident of participating in the Boston Tea Party, Battle of Lexington-Concord, and Battle of Bunker Hill. He returned to Massachusetts and later migrated west and served in the War of 1812. Located on the north side of Federal Hill Road, off NH 13, south of NH 101.
    • Online Book: Milford in the great war. Memorial book .. - Milford, N.H. Memorial book committee. World War, 1914-1918; -- Internet Archive
    • Article: New Hampshire Newspaper: "The Farmer's Cabinet" & the Boylston Family - Blog, Cow Hampshire
  • MULTI-MEDIA (PHOTOGRAPHS and more)
  • Milford NH Community Web Site (news)
  • SEE Milford NH Reference for maps and profiles
  • SEE Milford NH Photographs

    MONSON - "Ghost Town"
  • ALSO SEE MILFORD and/or HOLLIS NH (above)
  • Monson NH (from Hollis NH web site)


    MONT VERNON


  • **Mont Vernon History & Genealogy - SEE FIRST**
  • Official Town of Mont Vernon NH Web Site
  • Mont Vernon Town Clerk
    Mailing Address:
    One South Main Street
    P.O. Box 444
    Mont Vernon, NH 03057
    603- 673-9126
  • Daland Memorial Library
    P.O. Box 335
    Mont Vernon, NH 03057
    603-673-7888
    Email: staff@daland.mv.com
  • Mont Vernon Historical Society
    P.O. Box 15
    Mont Vernon, NH 03057
    Email: mvkent@earthlink.net
  • BOOKS ONLINE (FREE)
  • Mont Vernon Town Records - NH State Library
  • HISTORY: 1817 Gazeteer of New Hampshire: MONT VERNON
  • GENEALOGY
  • SEE Mont Vernon NH Reference
  • SEE Mont Vernon Maps & Statistics
  • SEE Mont Vernon NH Photographs

    NASHUA


  • Official City of Nashua NH Web Site
  • Nashua City Clerk's Office
    Administrative Services Division
    229 Main Street P.O. Box 2019 Nashua, NH 03061-2019
    Phone: 603-589-3010 Fax: 603-589-3029
    Email: cityclerk@ci.nashua.nh.us
  • Nashua Public Library
    2 Court Street, Nashua, NH 03060-3475
    Phone: 603-589-4607
    Email: charlie.matthews@nashua.lib.nh.us
  • Nashua Historical Society
    5 Abbott St
    Nashua, NH 03060
    (603) 883-0015
  • NASHUA NH - USGenWeb Site
  • Nashua City Records - NH State Library
  • HISTORY BOOKS ONLINE (FREE):
  • GENEALOGY & HISTORY:
    • History & Genealogy of Nashua NH; SOURCE: History of Hillsborough County, New Hampshire; Philadelphia: J.W. Lewis & Co., 1885.- TXT files (this site)
      • Part I - Geography, Topography, General Description, Wildlife, etc. & Early Aborigines - TXT file
      • Part II - [From the First Settlement to 1702; The Indians Wars up to Lovewell's War with the Pequawkets in 1725]. Includes a list of the original proprietors, and a list of of Proprietors in 1699 - TXT file
      • Part III - 1730 and Beyond; Hardships; Several towns separate from Dunstable and incorporate including Nottingham/Nottingham West/Hudson; Rumford/Merrimack; Litchfield; West Dunstable/Holles/Hollis. 1740 Boundary Line Changes; Life of the Early Settlers, Bridges, etc. - TXT file
      • Part IV - Dunstable (Nashua) NH during the American Revolution, including a list of Dunstable residents who participated; The Years frollowing the Revolution (to about 1800) - Txt File
      • Part V - Dunstable from 1800 to 1860; includes the building of the 2nd townhouse; the coming of the mills (early histories of the Nashua Company, and the Jackson Manufacturing Company and others); the Nashua and Lowell Railroad; the Nashua Bank; early newspapers; Dunstable's name changed to NASHUA; the separation of the town of NASHVILLE; Nashua and Nashville join to form the City of Nashua; the first mayor; manufactures, businesses and churches of the time, the Anthenaeum- TXT file
      • Part VI - Nashua and the War of the Rebellion [Civil War]; includes a list of Nashua citizens who participated in the Civil war along with their regiment - TXt file
      • Part VII - Nashua from 1870 to 1885 including the Irish and Canadian immigration; schools and library; the Nashua Fire Department, Railroads; Banking; Newspapers; Benevolent and Literary Organizations, and Clubs; The Ecclesiastical (Church) History of Nashua; the Manufacturing and Industries of Nashua; Statistics of Nashua (list of mayors from 1853-1885); attorneys and physicians in 1885; City officers in 1885; school teachers in 1885 (list) - TXT file
      • Part VIII- Biographies of Some Notable Citizens: including Hon. Isaac Spalding, Dr. Josiah G. Graves, Dr. Samuel G. Dearborn, Hon. Charles Holman, Dr. Norman John MacLeod Moore, Orlando Dana Murray, Jeremiah W. White, Cornelius Van Ness Deaborn, Horace Way Gilman, Virgil Chase Gilman, Hon. Archibald H. Dunlap, The Howard Family, Reuben Godfrey, Elliot Whitford, James H. Hall, Charles Lund, Stillman Swallow, General John G. Foster - TXT file.
    • History of the City of Nashua, N.H., Edited by Edward Everett Parker, Published in 1895 by H. Reinheimer & Co. - online book, Nashua Library
    • History of Nashua NH to Present - from official City of Nashua web site
    • BIOGRAPHY & GENEALOGY OF Leona/Leonora Evelina (Simonds) Piper (1859-1953) - clairvoyant, b. in Nashua NH - TXT file (this site)
    • "Missing Places: Nashville New Hampshire 1842-1853" - article from Cow Hampshire blog
    • History of Nashua NH web site
    • History and Graphics: Nashua NH; 1897 online article with sketches, of the history of this city, from The New England magazine - Cornell University
  • SEE Nashua NH Reference for maps and profiles
  • SEE Nashua NH Photographs

    NEW BOSTON


  • NEW BOSTON NH - USGenWeb site (see first)
  • Official Town of New Boston NH Web Site
  • New Boston Town Clerk
    5 Meetinghouse Hill Road
    New Boston, NH 03070
    603-487-5571 X 106
  • Whipple Free Library
    Central Square
    New Boston, NH 03070
    Email: wfl@wfl.mv.com
    Phone: (603) 487-3391
    Fax: (603) 487-2886
  • New Boston Historical Society
    Central Square
    New Boston, New Hampshire 03070
    (603) 487-5504 x114
  • BOOKS ONLINE (FREE)
    • About the Farm; An Illustrated Description of the New Boston Dairy and Other Industries at Valley View, Muzzey, and Hutchinson Farms, [J.R. Whipple COmpany owned Young's Hotel, Parker House and Hotel Touraine, Boston, and also was the owner of New Boston Dairy, Valley View, Muzzey, and Hutchingson Farms, New Boston, New Hampshire] 1919
    • History of New Boston NH, by Elliot Cogswell
    • New Boston - Gazetteer of New Hampshire (1817)
  • GENEALOGY & HISTORY:
    • History and Genealogy of New Boston NH - TXT file (this site) - the grantees and grants of New Boston NH (1735); Incorporation of the town (1763) and the first town meeting; Early settlers including Thomas Smith, James Hunter, James Caldwell, William Blair, John McAllister, and George Cristy; description of early pioneer life; history of the churches, both buildings (meeting-houses) and pastors; history and description of New Boston grave yards (cemeteries); description of soil, forest growth and productions; Joe English Hill and the tale of Joe English; history of roads and bridges; early mills; early businesses and manufactures; Soldiers of the French and Indian Wars (John Livingston); New Boston during the American Revolution (including Abner Hogg, James Hogg, William Beard, Deacon Archibald McMillen, Robert Campbell, Josiah Warren, James Caldwell, and Caleb Howe; The War of 1812; Names of Volunteers from New Boston in the Civil War; Lawyers who came from New Boston or resided there, including William Wilson, Josiah Fairfield, Clark B. Cochrane, James Crombie, Lorenzo Fairbanks, Christopher Langdell, Perley Dodge, JOhn Gove, Charles F. Gove, Robert C. Cochran, Jesse McCurdy, Seth Fairfield, Ninian C. Cochrane, Charles S. McLane, and others; Doctors who came from or lived in New Boston, including Dr. Jonathan Gove, Dr. Hugh McMillen and many others; Traders and merchandisers in New Boston; Brief Bios/Genealogies of Rev. John Atwood, Captain Daniel Campbell, and Hon Robert B. Cochrane; Casualties, Suicides and Other Odd Deaths; a list of Selectmen, Town Clerks, and Representatives from New Boston from 1763 to about 1850; College Graduates from New Boston; history of schools; Biographical Sketches of Elbridge Wason, Rev. Ephraim P. Bradford, Luke Smith, Hon. George L. Smith, and Ninian Clark Crombie..[SOURCE: History of Hillsborough County, New Hampshire; Philadelphia: J.W. Lewis & Co., 1885]
    • Davidson Family of New Boston NH
    • Dodge/Balch Cemetery, New Boston - inscriptions/photographs - USGennet
    • New Boston Cemetery, New Boston - inscriptions/photographs
    • New Boston Town Records - NH State Library
    • HISTORY: 1817 Gazeteer of New Hampshire: NEW BOSTON
    • Molly Stark Cannon - NH Historic Site - This brass four-pounder, cast in 1743, was captured August 15, 1777 at the Battle of Bennington by Gen. John Stark's troops. Gen. Stark presented "Old Molly" to the New Boston Artillery Company of the 9th Regiment of New Hampshire Militia, for its part in the battle. The artillery company was reorganized in 1938 and maintains a permanent home for "Molly Stark" in New Boston. Located on the common, at the intersection of River Road (NH 13) and Meetinghouse Hill Road.
    • Article: "New Boston, New Hampshire's Roger Ward Babson, Statistician, Eccentric Businessman, College Founder (1875-1967) " - Blog: Cow Hampshire
  • SEE New Boston NH Reference for maps and profiles
  • SEE New Boston NH Photographs

    NEW IPSWICH

  • Official Town of New Ipswich NH Web Site: not available
  • Unofficial Town of New Ipswich NH Web Site
  • New Ipswich Town Hall/Town Clerk
    661 Turnpike Road
    New Ipswich, NH 03071
    603-878-2772
    Fax 603-878-3855 OR 603-878-3567
    Email: newipswich@mctelecom.com
  • New Ipswich Library
    Main Street, PO Box 320
    New Ipswich, NH 03071-0320
    603-878-4644

    Email: nilibrary@adelphia.net
  • New Ipswich Historical Society
    23 Main Street, New Ipswich, NH 03071
    Phone: Susan Williams at 603.878.4450
    Email: webmaster@newipswich.org
  • HISTORY BOOKS ONLINE (FREE):
  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY:
    • History and Genealogy of New Ipswich NH - TXT file (this site) - Geography of New Ipswich, description of the original grant; incorporation of the town and the first settlements; early pioneers including Abijah Foster, Jonas Woolson, Benjamin Hoar, Captain Moses Tucker, Ebenezer and John Bullard, Joseph Stevens, and others; the first town meeting; early buildings and industry, early cemeteries; tax list (names and payments) in 1763; Town Tax list for 1774; Military History, including several rolls of New Ipswich men who participated in the Revolutionary War; participants in the War of 1812; Church History and pastors; the early meeting-house history; early church members; New Ipswich Appleton Academy history; history of several banks; printing / newspaper history; physicians; post-office history; the first cotton-mill; slavery in New Ipswich; Social Clubs (Odd Fellows and Masons); list of town clerks and representatives from 1762-1850; Biographical Sketches of John Preston and Leavitt Lincoln.[SOURCE: History of Hillsborough County, New Hampshire; Philadelphia: J.W. Lewis & Co., 1885]
    • HISTORY: 1817 Gazeteer of New Hampshire: NEW IPSWICH
    • Online Book: The history of New Ipswich, New Hampshire, 1735-1914 : with genealogical records of the principal families - Chandler, Charles H., 1914
    • New Ipswich Town Records - NH State Library
    • Barrett House and Forest Hall
      Main Street
      New Ipswich, NH
      Phone: 603-878-2517
      This Gothic Revival summer home was built in 1800. Inside visitors will find interesting artwork, decor and furnishings. The ballroom is of particular interest. Open June - October. Tours are available.
    • New Ipswich New Hampshire Artist: Benjamin Crackbone Champney (1817-1907) - from my blog: Cow Hampshire
    • First Textile Mill - NH Historic Marker - Established in New Hampshire at New Ipswich in the early 1800's for the carding, spinning and weaving of cotton and wool. This manufacture of fabrics spread throughout the state and contributed prominently to its economic and social growth and the development of the textile industry nationally.
      Located on the south side of NH 123 and 124, about 500 feet west of the junction of the two roads.
    • Barrett House - Barrett House, also known as Forest Hall, was built c. 1800 by Charles Barrett Sr. for his son Charles Jr. and daughter-in-law Martha Minot on the occasion of their marriage. A historic property.
    • Wilder's Chair Factory - NH Historic Marker - In 1810, Peter Wilder, with his son-in-law Abijah Wetherbee, established the Wilder Chair Shop here in Wilder Village. Josiah P. Wilder and some of his brothers, sons of Peter, made over 25,000 spindle-back wooden seated chairs in forty or more designs. Stools, settees and rockers were also made here until the freshet of 1869 when the dam went out. Located on NH 124, near its junction with Old Nashua Road, about 4 miles east of the Sharon-New Ipswich town line
  • SEE New Ipswich NH Reference for maps and profiles
  • SEE New Ipswich NH Photographs
    PELHAM

  • Official Town of Pelham NH Web Site
  • Town of Pelham
    6 Village Green, Pelham NH 03076
    Phone: 603-635-8233
  • Town Clerk of Pelham
    Same address as above
    Phone: 603-635-2040
  • Pelham Historical Society
    5 Main Street
    Pelham, NH 03076
    603-635-2465
    Email: info@PelhamNHHistory.org
    (updated 12 Dec 2006)
  • PELHAM PUBLIC LIBRARY | Friends of the Library
    24 Village Green, Pelham NH 03076
    Phone: 603-635-7581 Fax:603-635-6952
    Email: director@pelhamweb.com
  • HISTORY BOOKS ONLINE (FREE)
  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY
    • History and Genealogy of Pelham NH - TXT file (this site) Location and settlement of the town of Pelham, early settlers and incorporation; proceedings of the first town meeting; Ecclesiastical (church) history; pastors with brief biographies; description and history of the meeting-houses; the parsonage; education in Pelham; men of note including Deacon Amos Gage, Deacon Barnabas Gibson, James and Jesse Gibson, Capt. Henry Baldwin, Dr. John Mussey, James and Samuel Hobbs, General Samuel M. Richardson, David Cutter, General Joshua Atwood, Colonel Enoch Marsh, Misses Eliza and Caroline Hastings, physicians; music; college graduates; teachers; female teachers; Civil Government including a list fo town clerks, delegates of constitutional and other conventions, representatives ; military history including participants in the French & Indian War, American Revolution and the War of the Rebellion [Civil War]; growth, development and change in Pelham, early industries and businesses; town roads; anecdotes; Biographies of Rev. Augustus Berry, and John Woodbury. Many early settlers mentioned in this document. [SOURCE: History of Hillsborough County, New Hampshire; Philadelphia: J.W. Lewis & Co., 1885]
    • Hayes-Genoter History & Genealogy On-Line Library, Presented by the Pelham Historical Society - A MUST SEE, Vital Records, Genealogies, etc.
    • HISTORY: 1817 Gazeteer of New Hampshire: PELHAM
    • Pelham Town Records - NH State Library
    • Pelham NH History (brief) - Rudymayer.com
  • SEE Pelham NH Reference for maps and profiles
  • SEE Pelham NH Photographs

PETERBOROUGH
 

Links to external web sites are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or approval of any of the products, services or opinions contained in any external web site.
Copyright © 2004-2013 | Hillsborough County NH History & Genealogy at Searchroots
| All rights reserved
Contact the Webmaster: