History and Genealogy of Merrimack, Hillsborough County NH
 
Main Page
Main Page
History
History
Genealogical Research
Genealogy
Maps and Statistics
Maps & Statistics
Historic Places
Historic Places
Resources
Resources
Photographs
Photographs
Public Buildings
Buildings
Organizations
Organizations
NEWSTownship NEWS
Useful LinksUseful Links
Family Trees
Family Trees & Biographies
About Us - Contact Me
About Us/Contact
Site MapSite Map
   
VISIT the New Hampshire Genealogy & History web site!
 
 


Visit the Cow Hampsha Shop!

P H O T O G R A P H S of Merrimack NH


NOTE: Most of these photographs are the personal property of Janice Brown, the webmaster of this site. They may not be used for any public purposes [which includes do not post to Facebook or any other web site] without her express written permission. They may NOT be used in any publication or document, electronic or otherwise, that is offered for sale -- this includes newspapers, magazines, internet web sites, genealogies, family histories, etc.. They MAY be copied or printed by individuals who have a genealogical interest, for their own personal use. Doing otherwise violates copyright law.

Click on the thumbnail photograph below to see a larger view of these Merrimack NH buildings and places of interest.

Town Hall in Merrimack NH
Veteran's Memorial across from Merrimack Town Hall
Detail of Veterans Memorial
View of Merrimack - at Library looking south
First Congregational Church Sign
First Congregational Church from Library
First Congregational Church - front
Detail view of First Congregational Church
Faith Episcopal Church sign
Faith Episcopal Church - full view
Doorway Faith Episcopal Church
Tower Faith Episcopal Church
Front facade of Merrimack Library
Stairway view of Merrimack Library
Road scene in front of Library
Current main entrance to the Library
Pynenburg's Service Station & Baboosic Brook Lunch Room circa 1943
Baboosic Brook Lunch Room
Mary (Manning) Webster standing in front of Baboosic Brook Lunch Room, April 1943

In Front of the Pynenburg Service Station, circa 1943. From left to right, Joseph L. "Pynie" Pynenburg, Mert Beauregard, Robert Manning, Helen (Manning) Pynenburg, Virginia Pynenburg, Addie (Ryan) Manning.
.
Aerial photographs (taken by airplane) of Merrimack, N.H., before the 1936 flood by Berwin Webster
Various tombstones in Merrimack NH (for transcriptions see CEMETERY page)
Last Rest Cemetery  facing the Congregational Church Last Rest Cemetery - facing the far interior end Another view of Last Rest Cemetery
Reeds Ferry Cemetery tombstones
Single stone at Reeds Ferry Cemetery
View of Reeds Ferry Cemetery facing Route 3
Webster tombstone in Last Rest Cemetery
Broad view of Reeds Ferry Cemetery
Reeds Ferry Cemetery taken from back end
Thornton's Ferry Cemetery
More tombstone in Thorton's Ferry Cemetery in Merrimack NH
Covered Bridges, Bridges in Merrimack NH
Contributed by Dave Trench
Turkey Hill Covered Bridge that burned down
Turkey Hill Covered Bridge
Fields Covered Bridge - Merrimack - burned down in
Fields Covered Bridge
Fields Covered Bridge in Merrimack that burned down
Fields Covered Bridge
Covered Bridges by web site owner

Turkey Hill Covered Bridge (2)
. .

Matthew Thornton Memorials
[see more Thornton family tombstones]

The ACTUAL grave site of Matthew Thornton who signed the Declaration of Independence
Historic site marker at Thorntons Ferry Cemetery
Memorial to Matthew Thornton
Matthew Thornton Likenesses coming soon . .
Various photographs of Merrimack places and people, mostly 1930s-1940s
Reeds Ferry B&M Railroad Station
Reeds Ferry (Merrimack NH) B&M Railroad Station with Clarence Webster in front
1926-30 Merrimack Grammar School class
1926-30 Merrimack Grammar School (see list of names below)
House of Matthew Thornton, later the Hannah Jack Restaurant in Merrimack
House of Matthew Thornton (was Hannah Jacks Tavern, now The Common Man Restaurant)

Merrimack Telephone Exchange in the Flood of 1936
1938 Flood photograph in Merrimack NH showing  the block by the Souhegan River
Souhegan Village in the Flood of 1936
1946 BICENTENNIAL PHOTOGRAPHS - GOVERNOR AND COMMITTEE HEADS
1946 Bicentennial
(see description
below)
Bicentennial - Gov. Dale
NH Governor
Charles M. Dale
speaking at
Merrimack NH's
Bicentennial Celebration
on June 30, 1946

Anna Webster Watkins, Ruth Hilton, Helen Kiestlinger, Theresa Beard Houle,  Circa 1930s
Anna Webster Watkins, Ruth Hilton, Helen Kiestlinger, Theresa Beard Houle,
circa 1930s

Merrimack Residents c1930: Frank Flanders, Clarence Webster, Bob Schillenger, Ernest Johnson, and Louis Hoffman
Hunting Trip "Up North", circa 1930
(Back row) --?-- Frank Flanders --?-- Clarence Webster
(Middle Row) Harold Flanders Bob Schellenger
(Front Row) Ernest Johnson, Louis Hoffman (all residents of Merrimack NH, who lived near each other)

.Dot Fernald & Margaret Webster in costume for "Old Fashioned Concert"
Dot Fernald & Margaret Webster in costume for "Old Fashioned Concert" circa 1930s

 

Thornton's Inn
Thornton's Inn
from old postcard
McGaw Institute Classmates 1931
McGaw Institute - Classmates of 1931 (see names below)
Dave Coburn and Esther Russ of McGaw Institute circa early 1930s
Dave Coburn and Esther Russ, students of McGaw Institute circa early 1930s

Juliette LeBel, Anna Webster Watkins and Alice Schneiderhunze circa 1930s

Betty Hoffman & Vera McCalvey on steps of McGaw Institute circa 1930s
Former location of the "Merrymac"Turkey Hill Covered Bridge
Former location of the "Merrymac"Turkey Hill Covered Bridge
.
The "Merrymac"Turkey Hill Covered Bridge plaque at Weston Park
The "Merrymac"Turkey Hill Covered Bridge plaque at Weston Park
Fessenden & Lowell Store Merrimack NH circa 1910
Fessenden & Lowell Store in Reeds Ferry (Merrimack) NH circa 1910
Camp Crowell on Horsehoe Pond in Merrimack NH 1903
Camp Crowell on Horseshoe Pond, Merrimack NH 1903
Island in Merrimack River in Reeds Ferry
Island in Merrimack River in Reeds Ferry NH circa 1930s - one of the islands granted to Passaconaway.
Thorntons Ferry Railroad Station
Thornton Ferry Railroad Station, photograph donated by David Trench
Atherton Falls, Merrimack, NH
Atherton Falls, Merrimack, NH
Reeds Ferry (Merrimack) NH in 1906
Bird's Eye View of Reeds Ferry (Merrimack) NH in 1906

The following photographs taken on the first (see her Flickr Photographs), in Merrimack, New Hampshire, 1918 Courtsey of Kimberly A. Coutts

Please do NOT use without her express written permission


Armistice Day 1918, Merrimack NH, picnic on law in front of Congregational Church, Photo #1


Armistice Day 1918, Merrimack NH, picnic on law in front of Congregational Church, Photo #2

Armistice Day 1918, Merrimack NH, soldiers and child in front of War Memorial on Baboosic Lake Road


Merrimack NH Congregational Church circa 1918 (called "Merrimack Community Church" in the photo album)

.
Greetings from Reeds Ferry, N.H. - postcard postmarked 1907

Eat and Get Gas - Roys Variety on 101A in Merrimack NH

Merrimack NH Brewery - Anheuser Busch
.
The following 19 photographs from "Granite State Magazine," Vol II, No. 4, October 1906, a copy of which I own.
Anson D. Fessenden
Anson D. Fessenden
See his family tree
Benjamin F. Fessenden
Benjamin F. Fessenden
See his family tree
Kit Shop, Reeds Ferry (Merrimack) NH
Kit Shop, Reeds Ferry (Merrimack) NH
Levi Lowell
Levi Lowell
See his family tree
Class of 1906 - McGaw Institute, Merrimack NH
Class of 1906 - McGaw Institute, Merrimack NH
McGaw Institute (building) Merrimack NH
McGaw Institute (building) Merrimack NH
Nesmith Residence, Merrimack NH
Nesmith Residence, Merrimack NH
Charles S. Nesmith
Charles S. Nesmith
Parker Homestead, Merrimack NH
Parker Homestead, Merrimack NH
Mr. & Mrs. Ward Parker
Mr. & Mrs. Ward Parker
Robert McGaw
Robert McGaw - See McGaw Institute under "History"
Soldier's Monument as it looked in 1906
Soldier's Monument as it looked in 1906
George F. Spalding
George F. Spalding
Spalding Residence in 1906 - Merrimack NH
Spalding Residence in 1906 - Merrimack NH
Old Town House - Merrimack NH
Old Town House - Merrimack NH
Twin Bridges in 1906
Twin Bridges in 1906
Walter Kittredge House in 1906
Walter Kittredge House in 1906
Professor David F. Carpenter
Professor David F. Carpenter - See McGaw Institute under "History
See photographs of site of first church and meeting house
See photographs (and inscriptions) of Turkey Hill Cemetery tombstones
See more photographs (and inscriptions) of
Thornton's Cemetery gravestones
See more photographs
1936 Bicentennial Celebration

Merrimack NH Locations - from Merrimack Town's web site
Wheeler House, 28 Tinker Road, Merrimack - American Memory/HABS
Alexander McCauley Wilkins
Alexander McCauley Wilkins

William T. Parker
~Parker, William T. — of Merrimack, Hillsborough County, N.H. Member of New Hampshire state senate 3rd District, 1866-68.


See more photographs
of Hillsborough County NH
and New Hampshire

NOTES:
House of Matthew Thornton was later a restaurant called the "Hannah Jack Tavern" (named after Matthew's wife, Hannah Jack), and more recently "The Common Man." It is located across the street from the Thornton's Ferry Cemetery in Merrimack, New Hampshire. The photograph above was taken by Mike Reed (used with permission). Matthew Thornton was one of the New Hampshire signers of the Declaration of Independence.

The three uncopyrighted postcards of two Covered Bridges (Fields & Turkey Hill) that burned down in the 1950/60s were generously contributed by David A. Trench Sr.

Reeds Ferry Train Station - shows Clarence L. Webster standing in front of the Reeds Ferry Railroad Station in Merrimack, New Hampshire, taken in the early 1900's. He was the telegraph operator and station agent for many years, retiring after 51 years of service to the Boston & Maine Railroad.


The photograph of the 1926-30 Grammar school photo is the property of Janice Brown.
1st row front, left to right:
Ruth Webster (my aunt, dau of Clarence L. & Mattie K. Webster) -- Bill Hall [possibly Fred William Hall, son of Fred & Mabel Hall] -- Aubrey Moody [son of Charles E. & Elsie Moody] -- Ralph Beard [son of Morris C. & Elsie Beard] -- Elizabeth Flanders [dau of Frank R. & Flora Flanders] -- Beatrice Corliss [dau of Arthur W. & Elizabeth Corliss] -- Curtis Bell [son of Arthur C. & Olive E. Bell] -- Evelyn Center/Canter [ dau of Leon & Mabel Center/Canter] -- Virginia Coburn/Colburn [dau of Carroll C. & Mary M. Coburn/Colburn] -- Ethel Hock [dau of Frank P. & Barbara A. Hock] -- Pat Corliss [possibly "Pat" is a nickname for Richard, son of Arthur W. & Elizabeth Corliss] -- Harold Flanders [son of Frank R. & Flora Flanders] -- Arthur McCalvey [son of Widow L. M. McCalvey].
2nd row: Gertie Black [dau of Walter A. & Emily Black] -- Mabel Corliss [dau of Arthur W. & Elizabeth Corliss] -- Mike Pirog [son of Dorian? & Anna Pirog] -- Anna Pirog [dau of Harry & Bertha Piro(u)g] -- Electa Bell [dau of Arthur C. & Olive E. Bell] -- Ruth Maker [dau of Claude M. & Flora Maker] -- Louise Goodale [dau of Walt M. & Elsie M. Goodale] -- Kenneth Adams -- Ruby Hall [dau of Fred E. & Mabel E. Hall] -- myself [Margaret Webster, my aunt, dau of Clarence & Mattie K. Webster]]
3rd row: Dave Coburn/Colburn [son of Carroll C. & Mary Colburn] -- John Pirog [son of Harry and Bertha Piro(u)g -- Buddie Moody -- Lillian Hock [dau of Frank P. & Barbara Hock] -- Gilbert Beard [son of Morris C. & Elsie Beard] -- Berwin Webster (my father, son of Clarence & Mattie K. Webster)
4th row: Maynard Squire -- Merton Moody [son of Charles & Elsie Moody] -- Norman Hall [son of Fred E. & Mabel E. Hall] -- Bill Clifford -- Stella Black [dau of Walter A. & Emily Black] -- Myrtle Lamphere
Back row: (Teachers): Miss Royce [possibly Bertha], Miss McLain
The names of these students were copied from handwritten notes on the back of the photograph. Parentage was obtained from the 1920 & 1930 U.S. Censuses of Merrimack, NH

1946 BICENTENNIAL PHOTOGRAPHS - GOVERNOR AND COMMITTEE HEADS (above) -- Governor Charles M. Dale (fourth from left), who spoke briefly to the townspeople of Merrimack in the celebration of the town's 200th anniversary, is pictured with committee heads. They are left to right: Rev. John W. Wright, Augusta Bean, Mrs. Mattie K. Webster, Governor Dale, Rev. Charles S. Haynes.

McGaw Institute Classmates of 1931 (see photo above) is the property of Janice Brown.
Photographs include those of:
Stella Black Prince (dau of Walter A. & Emily C. Black of Merrimack)
Estelle Dupelle Houle
Lillian Hock Henderson (dau of Frank P. and Barbara Hock of Merrimack)
Betty Hoffman Getz
Mary Bean Richards
Elizabeth Pecker
"Dimmie" Henderson Cameron
Dot Fernald
Ida Stimson Allard (dau of Henry & Hattie A. Stimson of Merrimack)
Paul Dupelle/Dupel (son of Fred & Rose Dupel of Merrimack)


History and Genealogy of Merrimack, Hillsborough County, New Hampshire
at SEARCHROOTS
Copyright 2001-2017 |All Rights Reserved
Send email to the webmaster