Grafton County New Hampshire - Genealogy and History
 


New Hampshire Genealogy and History is a web site for family tree and history researchers of people and places in the State of NH.
and history in GRAFTON COUNTY, New Hampshire.

HISTORY | DOCUMENTS | OTHER AREAS OF RESEARCH
MAP OF GRAFTON COUNTY | TOWNS/CITIES IN GRAFTON COUNTY

For Help with Researching your family tree,
see HISTORY & GENEALOGY OF NH
(Main Site)

Visit The Cow Hampsha Shop

SEARCH THIS SITE
Google
www nh.searchroots.com (this site)



BRIEF HISTORY OF GRAFTON CO., NEW HAMPSHIRE
Grafton County is one of 10 counties in New Hampshire. The county is in the Lebanon metro area. Extending far into its northern limits lies the famous White Mountain region, while in its southern and central parts, and all along the Connecticut, are a thousand scenes of storied or of unsung loveliness. Grafton County was originally known as "The Fifth," established by an act of the Colonial legislature passed March 19, 1771, in which it was made to contain "all the lands in the Province not comprehended in the other counties," (viz: Hillsborough, Rockingham, Cheshire and Strafford) its name being given in honor of Augustus Henry Fitzroy, Duke of Grafton. This act created a county which was an immense tract of land, extending south from what is now the Canada line for a distance of nearly 150 miles. This territory was divided as early as November 27, 1800, when the township of Burton [whose name was changed to Albany] was annexed to Strafford county. Three years later, December 24, 1803, the whole of the northern half of Grafton county was set off to form the new county of Coos, and finally on June 18, 1805, the area was reduced once again by the annexation of the whole of a tract known as "Nash and Sawyer's Location" to Coos County. After all these reductions, by an act of the legislature, passed January 2, 1829, the boundaries of the county were fixed, from which since there has been made no material change. This place's the county's 1,463 square miles of territory between 43 degrees 27' and 44 degrees 22' north latitude, and between 71 degrees 20' and 72 degrees 20' longitude west from Greenwich, bounded north by Coos county, east by Coos, Carroll and Belknap counties, south by Merrimack and Sullivan Counties, and west by the west bank of the Connecticut river, its greatest length being fifty-eight miles and its greatest breadth thirty miles. It is divided into thirty-nine towns, twenty-nine of which were granted under King George II -- eleven in the second year of his unfortunate reign, in 1761 -- and ten under the State government. In the northern section are mountains belonging to the White Mountain range, Franconia mountains and Carrigain mountain; a little to the southwest, in Benton, is Moosilauke, towering to an altitude of 4,811 feet... while at the east and southeast is a part of the Whiteface, in Waterville, and the Campton mountains in Campton and vicinity. The southern section, though rough and broken, partkes more of a hilly than a mountainous nature. In the western section it is watered by the Connecticut and its tributaries, the largest of which are the Lower and Wild Ammonoosuc rivers, and in the norther part, and Mascoma in the southern section. The Pemigewasset and its branches water the central portion. The principal bodies of water are part of Squam Lake in the southeastern section, Newfound Lake in the southern, and Mascoma in the southwestern portion. [From "Gazetteer of Grafton Co NH, by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, 1886]. The county seat is Haverhill NH.

Learn more about Grafton County's History
Learn more about Grafton County's geography and current condition


DOCUMENTS (this site) for genealogical research

OTHER AREAS OF RESEARCH FOR GRAFTON COUNTY (this site)
Visit NH.GOV
Seal of New Hampshire - Live Free or Die
VISIT New Hampshire GENEALOGY and HISTORY
 
 
 



If you are looking for town/city specific resources, click on the town's name link above the map.

For other resources within Grafton County

If you want to know about general genealogy resources (such as how to find vital records, deeds and other documents), visit the "Genealogical Research" section.

 

TOWNS / CITIES IN GRAFTON COUNTY, New Hampshire

ALEXANDRIA


ASHLAND
  • Brief History: Once the southwest section of Holderness, Ashland was not incorporated until 1868. It was named in honor of Henry Clay, for his birthplace in Ashland, Virginia, and his estate in Kentucky. Ashland includes the geographic center of the state, located just west of Lake Winnipesaukee.
  • Villages and Place Names:
  • Profile & Statistics:
  • GOVERNMENT:
  • OTHER WEB SITES:
  • History & Genealogy: Ashland N.H.
    • History & Genealogy of Ashland NH - TXT file (this site) - Geography and description of the town of Ashland NH; refer to town of Holderness for earliest history; description of town and villages in 1885; business and manufactures circa 1885 with some earlier ownership; churches in Ashland NH; biographies and some genealogy of (then) current residents including Robert Huckins, Simon Harris, James Ames, Capt. Thomas Cox, Barnett Hughes, Stephen Chase Baker, William Corliss, David Carr, William Currier, Levi Drew, Enoch Rogers, Nathaniel Cummings, Elias Ladd, Hon. Samuel Livermore, Jacob Peaslee, Horatio N. Smythe, David Calley, John Shepard, Benning M. Plaisted, Robert Deane, Jonathan Smith, Nathan Pierce, Cyrus C. Plaisted, Samuel Brown, Reuben B. Rollins, Samuel Dustin, Stephen N. Morse, John Hughes (and son Barnett Hughes), Leonard Moore, Paul Abbott (son of Darius), Edwin Dearborn, Nathan Goss, Simeon Batchelder, Samuel Scribner, Ambrose Scribner, Jonathan F. Keyes. [Source: Gazetteer of Grafton County NH, 1709-1886, compiled and published by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, June 1886]
    • George Hoyt Whipple was born on August 28, 1878, in Ashland, New Hampshire, the son of Dr. Ashley Cooper Whipple and his wife Frances Hoyt. His paternal grandfather and his father, both physicians, were born and bred in New Hampshire.For this work on the therapeutic value of liver in the treatment of pernicious anaemia he was awarded, together with George R. Minot and William P. Murphy, the Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine in 1934.Whipples Disease is named after him.
    • Some Early Settlers and Important People of Ashland NH including Ora Alden Brown, Person Colby Cheney, George B. Cox, Hon. Hiram Hodgedon, George Hoyt Whipple - PDF.
  • BUSINESS:
  • PHOTOGRAPHS & POSTCARDS:
  • MAPS:

BATH
BENTON


BETHLEHEM
BRIDGEWATER
  • Brief History: Bridgewater received its charter in 1788, when it was part of the town of New Chester. New Chester was separated into Bridgewater, Hill, Bristol, Danbury, and Wilmot. Early settlers of the area were from Bridgewater, Massachusetts, thus giving the town its name. The town line follows the eastern shore of Newfound Lake.
  • Villages and Place Names: Bridgewater (only)
  • Profile & Statistics:
  • GOVERNMENT:
    • Bridgewater NH Town Web Site
    • Bridgewater Town Clerk
      297 Mayhew Turnpike
      Bridgewater NH 03222
      Telephone: 603-744-5055
      Fax: 603-744-5971
    • River Road Library
      Bridgewater 955 River Road
      Plymouth, NH 03264-5705
      Telephone: (603) 968-7911.
  • GENEALOGY & HISTORY:
    • History & Genealogy of Bridgewater NH - TXT file (this site) -- Geography and description of the town of Bridgewater NH [separated from the town of Hill, so see HILL for earlier history]; description of town in 1885; early manufacture; churches; early history and first settlers; first town meeting and officers; brief biographies and some genealogy on early settlers and prominent citizens include: Daniel Mitchel, Capt. Caleb Pillsbury, Thomas Eastman, Abel Fletcher, Joshua Fletcher, Moses Fifield, David B. Clement, John Brown, Thomas Hammond (and Nathan and Rodney Hammond), John W. Goss, Alonzo F. Wheeler, Orrin L. Dolloff, Alba H. Carpenter, and Charles Woodman. [Source: Gazetteer of Grafton County NH, 1709-1886, compiled and published by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, June 1886]
    • Biography: Attorney Albert P. Worthen, son of Samuel K. and Sarah F. (Parker) Worthen, and was born at Bridgewater NH on the 8th day of September 1861. Attorney. He married 18 Aug 1892 Harriet L. Reed, dau of Quincy L. Reed. -- Ebooks, Google
    • Biography: Joseph Addison Pearson, b. Bridgewater NH in 1824; well known Concord (NH) Printer. - Ebooks, Google
    • Biography: Arthur Webster Prescott, b. 4 May 1861 at Bridgewater NH, auditor and cashier Boston, Concord & Montreal Railroad.-- Ebooks, Google
    • Biography: Edmund Towle Brown, b. 18 July 1871, son of Josiah & Sarah (Towle) Brown, physician; m. Mollie J. Shriner. - Ebooks, Google
    • Tombstone Photographs: Tobine-Tobyne Brown Cemetery, Bridgewater NH
    • Tombstone Photographs: Turnpike Cemetery, Bridgewater NH
    • Tombstone Photographs: Webster-Cross Cemetery, Bridgewater NH
  • PHOTOGRAPHS/POSTCARDS:

  • MAPS:

BRISTOL
  • History: Extensive deposits of fine sand or clay similar to the Bristol sand used in Bristol, England, to make fine china and pottery gave the town its name. Here the sand was used to make a superior quality brick, marketed as Bristol brick. The town was center of manufacturing in the early days for goods such as paper, leather, woolens, flannel, bedsteads, and piano stools. Bristol includes the lower two-thirds of Newfound Lake. On Feburary 11, 1788, that part of New Chester (later named Hill) north of Newfound river was set off to form a new town by the name of Bridgewater. Finally, on the 24th of June, 1819 the legislature passed an act incorporating the southern part of Bridgewater and the northern part of New Chester into a new township, a small town containing only about nine thousand acres, which was given the name of Bristol.
  • History: BOOK ONLINE: The History of the Town of Bristol, Grafton Co. NH; Printed by R. W. Musgrove, 1904
  • Villages and Place Names: Moore's Mill, Bristol Village
  • Profile & Statistics:
  • GOVERNMENT:
    • Official Town of Bristol web site
    • Minot-Sleeper Library
      14 Pleasant Street
      Bristol 03222-1407
      744-3352
      Librarian - Doreen Powden (HT 744-8238)
      Assistant Librarian/Children's Librarian - Virginia Merrill
    • Bristol Town Clerk
      71 Lake Street
      Bristol, NH 03222-1106
      Phone: (603) 744-8478
    • Bristol Historical Society
      PO Box 400
      Bristol NH 03222
  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY:
    • History & Genealogy of Bristol, NH - TXT file (this site) -- Geography of Bristol NH; description of the village, and of the town in 1885; businesses and manufactures; church history; early settlers and prominent families of Bristol NH (partial genealogies) including those of Jonathan Merrill, Benjamin Locke, Samuel Sleeper, John Kidder, Stephen T. Brown, John Fellows, Benjamin Hall, Abraham Dolloff [Doloff], Ichabod Colby Bartlett, Sam Follansbee, Isaac Swett, Amos Dickinson, Joseph Rollins, Elbridge Tilton, Lowell Robie, Dr. James M. Bishop, Hon. Samuel K. Mason, Enos Ferrin, Hon. Cyrus Taylor, Hon. Benjamin F. Perkins, Daniel Cummings, Oliver Ballou, Rev. Josiah Norris, Levi Nelson, Hon. Solomon S. Sleeper, Daniel S. Mason, Hon. Lewis W. Fling, Solomon Cavis, Rev. Walter Sleeper, Asa Hastings, David Mason, Hon. Nathaniel Berry (Gov), James Musgrove, Richard W. Musgrove, Dr. Hadley B. Fowler, Dr. Ira S. Chase, Warren White. [Source: Gazetteer of Grafton County NH, 1709-1886, compiled and published by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, June 1886]
    • Biography: Luther Atwood, inventor and chemist was born at Bristol NH Nov 7, 1826 eldest son of Jonathan & Huldah (Gurdy) Atwood.- Google Ebooks
    • Biography: Benjamin Franklin Flanders, b. Bristol NH Jan 26, 1816; attorney, alumni Dartmouth College, resided New Orleans, LA. - Google Ebooks
    • Biography: Fred Lewis Pattee, son of Lewis Franklin & Mary Philbrick (Ingalls) Patte, educator, author, was born March 22, 1863 in Bristol NH - Google Ebooks
    • Tombstone Photographs: Heath Yard, Bristol NH
    • Tombstone Photographs: Keyser Cemetery, Bristol NH
    • Tombstone Photographs, Sanborn Cemetery, Bristol NH
    • Tombstone Photographs, Worthen Cemetery, Bristol NH
  • PHOTOGRAPHS/POSTCARDS:
  • MAPS

CAMPTON
  • History: First granted in 1761, the town was probably named Campton by Governor Benning Wentworth in honor of his friend Spencer Compton, Earl of Wilmington. Compton was influential in Wentworth's becoming governor in 1741. Campton was the boyhood home of Sylvester Marsh, builder of Mount Washington's Cog Railway.
  • Villages and Place Names: Beebe River, Blair, Campton Hollow, Campton Lower Village, Campton Station, Campton Upper Village, West Campton
  • Profile & Statistics:
  • Government:
  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY:
    • History & Genealogy of Campton NH - TXT File (this site) - Geography and description of the town of Campton NH; boundaries of the town and geology; description of villages, and of the town in 1885; business and manufactures; church history; the early settlement of Campton NH, and a list of earliest settlers from 1762 to 1820; the first town meeting and officers elected; "firsts" in Campton; the War of the Revolution, and participants from Campton NH; the war of the Rebellion [Civil War]; Biographies and Genealogies of early residents and prominent citizens of Campton, including: Ebenezer Taylor, Diodate WIlley, Hon. Moody Merrill, Hon. Moses Baker, William Baker, Benjamin Baker, Col. Moses Baker, Col. Davis Baker, George Washington Keniston, Joseph Pulsifer, Darius Willey, Ephrain [or Ephraim] Cook, Moody Cook, Edmond Marsh, Ansel Mitchell, Frederich [Frederick] Mithcell, Timothy W. Mitchell, John Spokesfield, Benjamin Johnson, Thomas Elliot [Elliott], Elijah Smart, David Webster, John Elliott, Ebenezer Morrison, Thomas J. Sanborn, Daniel Brown, Daniel Page, Pelatiah C. Blaisdell, Joel Pierce, Benjamin Stickney [two], Alonzo D. Muchmore, Henry Dole, George Robinson, Richard Plummer, Daniel Damon, John Cutter, Dr. John Kinsman, Simeon Knowles, Stephen Smith, Shubael Sanborn, Horace L. Thurston, Ebenezer Foss, David Philbrick, Dodavah Ham, Simeon Sanborn, Thomas Robie, Joseph C. BLair, Addison P. Barker, Timothy Davis, Ebenezer Mitchell, Benjamin Morrell, John S. Hanaford, Hezekiah Smith, William Wallace, Moses Shaw, James Bump, Edson P. Hart, David Bartlett, Jeremiah Dow, William Preston, Thomas Jefferson Sanborn, Gideon A. Wallace. [Source: Gazetteer of Grafton County NH, 1709-1886, compiled and published by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, June 1886]
    • Genealogy: Sylvester Marsh family (resided Campton NH) - from 1885 article in the Bay State Monthly magazine - Cornell University Library Online
    • Detailed Biography & Genealogy of Sylvester Marsh, b. Campton NH, creator of the Mount Washington Cog Railway System - Blog: Cow Hampshire (includes photographs)
    • CAMPTON, Grafton Co., NH - Public Notice - taxes due, # lots, division range, etc. Mentions the names of Moses George, John Little, Elijah Smart Jr., Moody Bartlett, Giles Merrill, William Thornton, Ebenezer Burbank, Walter Willey, Timothy Chases, Eben T. Whitney, John Smith, William Moses, E. Kinneston, William Home, George Avery. Ad posted by David Webster, collector. (this site, original page found here)
  • BUSINESSES:
  • PHOTOGRAPHS & POSTCARDS:
    • Photograph: William N. Blair aka Henry William (1834-1920) — born in Campton NH 6 Dec 1834, son of Joseph C & Dolly P Blair. He studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1859, commencing practice in Plymouth NH. Was of Laconia, Belknap County, N.H. Republican. Alternate delegate to Republican National Convention from New Hampshire, 1868; member of New Hampshire state senate 6th District, 1870-71. lieut. Col. of the 15th NH Volunteers during the Civil war;. Blair was a strong advocate of national support for public education and suffrage for women. In 1850 living in Campton, Grafton Co NH; In 1870 living in Laconia, Belknap Co NH with wife Josephine G and daughter Mary F. In 1900 living in Manchester NH; had a son, Henry B.. He is buried in Campton Cemetery, Campton NH. SEE his Biography. [archived version]
    • Historic Building: CAMPTON: Pioneer Cabin - American Memory/HABS
    • Historic Structure: CAMPTON: Osgood Bridge, Spanning Beebe River, Perch Pond Road - American Memory/HABS
    • Pinterest: Photographs of Campton NH
    • St. John of the Mountain Chapel
  • MAPS

CANAAN

DORCHESTER
  • History: First chartered in 1761, the town was probably given its name in honor of ancestors of Governor Benning Wentworth, who held the titles Marquis of Dorchester and Earl of Kingston. Due to the failure of grantees to take up their claims, the town was granted twice more, once in 1766 and again in 1772, retaining the name Dorchester throughout.
  • Villages and Place Names: Bucks Corner, Cheever, North Dorchester, Fittsville
  • Profile & Statistics:
  • GOVERNMENT:
    • Dorchester Town Clerk
      804 River Road
      Dorchester NH 03266
      Telephone: 603-523-7119
    • Dorchester Historical Society
      c/o Patricia E. Franz
      2048 NH Route 118
      Dorchester NH 03266
      Phone: 603-523-7136
      Email: pefranz@hotmail.com
  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY
    • History & Genealogy of Dorchester NH - TXT file (this site) - General history, geography and description of the town of Dorchester NH; early settlement; manufactures and businesses; church history; biographies and partial genealogiest of the following people (and their families): Benjamin R. Norris, Charles C. Merrill, John M. Fitts, Walter R. Hall, Pettingill Blaisdell (son of Sanborn Blaisdell); ALSO 1790 Census of Dorchester, Grafton Co. NH, showing heads of families. [Source: Gazetteer of Grafton County NH, 1709-1886, compiled and published by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, June 1886]
  • PHOTOGRAPHS & POSTCARDS
  • MAPS:

EASTON
[not to be confused with "Eaton" which is in Carroll County NH]
  • History: Once a part of Landaff known as Eastern Landaff, the town's name seems to be a corruption of the word Eastern and it was incorporated as Easton. Asa Kinsman was a pioneer settler of the town, and it is for him that Mount Kinsman, the Kinsman Range, and Kinsman Notch are named. Incorporated July 20, 1876.
  • Villages and Place Names: Wildwood
  • Profile & Statistics:
  • GOVERNMENT
    • Easton Town Clerk
      1060 Easton Valley Rd
      Easton NH 03580
      Telephone: 603-823-8017
      Fax: 603-823-7780
    • Easton Free Library
      P.O. Box 841 - 1070 Easton Valley Road
      Franconia 03580-0841
  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY:
    • History & Genealogy of Easton NH - TXT File (this site) - Geography of the town of Easton NH [for early history SEE LANDAFF]; description of the town in 1885; manufactures and businesses; village descriptions; early settlers including Nathan Kinsman, Stephen Shattuck, and others. [Source: Gazetteer of Grafton County NH, 1709-1886, compiled and published by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, June 1886]
  • PHOTOGRAPHS & POSTCARDS:
  • MAPS:

ELLSWORTH
  • History: Incorporated in 1769, this town was originally named Trecothick, in honor of Barlow Trecothick, Lord Mayor of London and head of the East India Company. Still only sparsely populated, the town was incorporated as Ellsworth in 1802, after Chief Justice Oliver Ellsworth of Connecticut. Justice Ellsworth was known for having negotiated the peace treaty with France that resulted in the Louisiana Purchase. In 1990 the town had a population of 74. The town is located in the White Mountain National Forest, and landmarks include Mt. Kineo (3,320 ft/1,012 m) and W. Ellsworth Pond.
  • Villages and Place Names: Trecothick, Ellsworth
  • Profile & Statistics:
  • GOVERNMENT:
    • Ellsworth Town Clerk
      3 Ellsworth Pond Rd
      Ellsworth NH 03223
      Telephone: 603-726-3551
  • PLACES & THINGS:
  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY
    • History & Genealogy of Ellsworth NH - TXT file (this site) - description and geography of Ellsworth NH; boundaries of the town; church history; description of Ellsworth in 1885; settlement of the town of Ellsworth NH; Mt. Kineo; settler, John Buzzell; CENSUS OF THE TOWN in 1810 [with heads of families listed]. [Source: Gazetteer of Grafton County NH, 1709-1886, compiled and published by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, June 1886]
  • PHOTOGRAPHS & POSTCARDS:
  • MAPS:

ENFIELD

FRANCONIA

GRAFTON
  • History: Like Grafton County, the town was named for Augustus Henry Fitzroy, Duke of Grafton, Earl of Arlington and Euston, Viscount Thetford, and Baron Sudbury. The Duke was a pro-American member of English government prior to the Revolution, and related to Governor Benning Wentworth. First granted in 1761, the town was granted again in 1769 to new colonists, including John Hancock and James Otis, well-known Boston patriots.
  • Villages and Place Names: East Grafton, Grafton Center, Robinson Corner, Cardigan Station
  • Profile & Statistics:
  • GOVERNMENT:
  • GENEALOGY & HISTORY:
    • History & Genealogy of Grafton, NH - TXT file (this site) - Geography and description of the town of Grafton (and villages) NH; description of Grafton NH in 1885; businesses and manufactures; church histories; the settlement of the town; biographies and some genealogies of the early settlers and prominent citizens of Grafton NH including: Capt. Joseph Hoyt, Captain Daniel Drake, Sylvester Martin, Levi Martin, Samuel Davis, Alexander Williams, Samuel Williams, Eli Haskins, Aaron Barney, John Barney, Cyril Barney, Jabez Barney, Eleazer Smith, Jesse Bucklin, Isaac Dean, Aaron Rollins, Elijah Rollins, Luther Cole, James Riddle, Enoch Prescott, Daniel Caswell, Jonathan Buffum, Josiah Stevens, Benjamin Bullock, James Kilton, Moses Follansbee, Jonathan Aldrich, Thomas Hale (two), Richard Heath, Reuben Heath, David Truell, Daniel Hook, David Garland, Dr. Henry A. Weymouth, Thomas Hibbard,, Dennis Buckley, Robert Martin, Newman Huntley, Jesse Jones, Phineas Gage, James Wentworth, John Waldron, John Morrell, Peter Smith, Joshua Flanders, James Hadlock, Ebenezer Gove, Othaniel Young, Capt. David Beckford, Aaron Kimball, Peter Folsom, Asa Kendall, Robert Johnson, John Gifford, Ebenezer Tinkham, Asa George, Fredon Perkins, I.H. Glover, and Robert Fowler. [Source: Gazetteer of Grafton County NH, 1709-1886, compiled and published by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, June 1886]
    • 1810 US Census of Grafton NH - Txt file - USGenWeb Archives
    • Ruggles Mine History (from the Ruggles Mine web site)
    • Grafton NH: Ruggles Mine - article about the mine, ownership, and the genealogy of the Ruggles family who first owned it.
  • PHOTOGRAPHS:
    • Photograph: Cyrus Adams Sulloway (1839-1917); son of son of Greeley & Betsey L. Sulloway, born in Grafton, Grafton County, N.H., June 8, 1839. Republican. Lawyer; member of Maine state house of representatives, 1872-73, 1887-93; U.S. Representative from New Hampshire 1st District, 1895-1913, 1915-17; defeated, 1912; died in office 1917. Also resided in Manchester NH; Died in Washington, D.C., March 11, 1917. Interment at Franklin Cemetery, Franklin, N.H.
    • Ruggles Mine
  • MAPS:


GROTON


HANOVER


HAVERHILL
  • History: Settled by citizens from Haverhill, Massachusetts, the town was first known as Lower Coos. In 1773, Haverhill became the county seat of Grafton County. It was the terminus of the Old Province Road, which connected the northern and western settlements with the seacoast. The village of Woodsville, named for John L. Woods of Wells River, Vermont, was once a very important railroad center. Woods operated a sawmill on the Ammonoosuc River, and developed a railroad supply enterprise following the establishment of the Boston, Concord, and Montreal Railroad. The village of Pike was settled by future employees of the Pike Manufacturing Company, which was, for a time, the world's leading manufacturer of whetstones.
  • Villages and Place Names: Lower Cohos, Center Haverhill, East Haverhill, North Haverhill, Pike (Station), Woodsville, Haverhill Corner, Mountain Lakes, Brier Hill, Oliverian Village,
  • Profile & Statistics:
  • GOVERNMENT:
  • GENEALOGY & HISTORY
    • History of Haverhill, NH - TXT file (this site) - Geography and description of the town of Haverhill NH and its villages; list of original grantees; boundaries; description of Haverhill in 1885; Academy and library history; church history; Hotels, businesses and manufactures; early settlement of Haverhill NH and some of its settlers; biography of first family, Uriah and Hannah Morse, records of the early town meetings (including some during the American Revolution). [Source: Gazetteer of Grafton County NH, 1709-1886, compiled and published by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, June 1886]
    • Biographies and Genealogies of the Early Settlers and Prominent Residents of Haverhill, NH - TXT file (this site) - Individuals (and their families) include: John Page, James King, William Cross, Capt. Daniel and Deac. John Carr, Obadiah Swasey, Paul Meader, Thomas Hibbard, Charles Wetherbee, Capt. avid Marston, Jonathan Marston, Amos Kimball, Russell Kimball, Dea. James Ladd, Ezekiel Ladd, Samuel Ladd, John Ladd, David Ladd, Jonathan Ladd, Joseph Bell, James Bell, Jacob Bell, David Merrill, John Merrill, Abel Merrill, Nathaniel Wilson, Asa Bacon, the Morse Family (Capt. Edward Morse and Stephen Morse his brother), John C. Morse, Stephen Morse, Isaac Morse, Jacob Morse, Timothy Wilmot, Human Pennock, John R. Reding, Benjamin Haywood, Benjamin J. Warren, Rev. Barzillai Pierce, Phineas Spalding, M.D., David Noyes, Abel Wheeler, Rev. Moses Elkins, Hon. Joseph Powers, James P. Webster, Capt. Joseph Mason, James Blake and sons; Stephen Jeffers, James and Abijah Cutting, John Large, Samuel St. Clair, Charles Goudey Smith, Joanthan S. Nichols, Ira Whitcher, John L. Davis, Charles B. Smith, E. George Parker, Benjamin Dow, Stephen D. Leighton, Luther Butler, Isaac K. George, Samuel Jackson, Isaac W. Hall, George Woodward, Stephen Cummings, Charles H. Day, William R. Clark, David Weeks, Lyman Buck, Peter Flanders, Darius K. Davis, Isaac Pike & family; Alonzo W. Putnam, Levi B. Ham, James A. Currier, Charles B. Griswold, The SOUTHARD Family, Robert Elliott, Newhall Pike, Eli Pike and Asher Pike, William Clough, James B. Clark, Capt. Enos Wells, Samuel Powers Chase, Charles A. Gale, Jesse Carlton, Col. William Tarleton, Zebulon Hunt, Henry P. Watson, MD, Chandler Cass, Hosea Swett Baker, Rev. Joseph H. Brown. - [Source: Gazetteer of Grafton County NH, 1709-1886, compiled and published by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, June 1886]
    • Biography of John T. Ayer of Haverhill NH
    • History of the Pike Manufacturing Company - great photos of the entire Pike family!!
  • PHOTOGRAPHS & POSTCARDS:
  • BUSINESS
  • MAPS


HEBRON
  • History: Originally part of Cockermouth, which was separated in 1792 when that town was renamed Groton. Hebron was named in honor of Hebron, Connecticut, the native town of many settlers, just as Groton, Connecticut, was home to many settlers in Groton. The Phelps family was prominent among this group, and Samuel Phelps' father-in-law, General Israel Morey, is known as the inventor of an early steamboat.
  • Villages and Place Names: East Hebron, Nuttings Beach
  • Statistics & Profile:
  • GOVERNMENT
    • Hebron Town Clerk
      PO Box 188
      Hebron NH 03241
      Telephone: 603-744-2631
      Fax: 603-744-5330
    • Hebron Public Library
      P.O. Box 90 - Church Lane
      Hebron, NH 03241-0090
      Telephone: (603) 744-7998
    • Hebron Historical Society
      PO Box 89
      Hebron NH 03241
      Contact: Barbara Brooks, President
      603-744-3597
  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY
    • History & Genealogy of Hebron NH - TXT file - Description of the town of Hebron NH and its villages; early petitions for incorporation along with names of those early residents who signed same; early settlers; the first town meeting and officers; other firsts in Hebron NH, brief history of the Union Church; Biographies and Genealogies of early settlers and prominent residents (and their families) including those of James George, Daniel Hardy, James J. Crosby, Cyrus Moore, John Sanborn, William C. Ross, Moses E. Follansbee, Edmund Barnard, Lowell R. Robie, Moses Worthley, Samuel McClure, Almon M. Favor, George W. Lufkin, Jeremiah Marston, James Jewell, Edward A. Pike, Carlos C. Wade [Source: Gazetteer of Grafton County NH, 1709-1886, compiled and published by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, June 1886]
    • Tombstone Photographs: Graveyard behind Hebron Church, Hebron NH
  • PLACES AND THINGS
  • PHOTOGRAPHS:
  • MAPS


HOLDERNESS
  • History: Holderness was named in 1751 for Robert Darcy, fourth Earl of Holderness, ambassador to Venice and minister at The Hague under King George III. He opposed the king's policy toward the colonies, and became a close friend of Governor Wentworth in efforts to promote friendly trade relations abroad. In 1761, the land was regranted to a group of New England families, including Samuel Livermore, who wanted to create a pretentious estate similar to that of the English countryside.
  • Villages and Place Names: New Holderness, Deephaven, East Holderness, Rockywold
  • Statistics & Profile:
  • GOVERNMENT:
  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY:
    • History & Genealogy of Holderness NH - TXT file -- Geographic description of the town; general description of the town and its village; The Holderness School for Boys; Business and Manufactures; original settlement of the town; firsts in the town; petition during the American Revolution; Biographies and genealogies of the early settlers and prominent citizens and their families including: John Cox, William Cox, Charles Cox, Charles Cox 2d, John Shepard, Jacob Shepard, Archiles Innes, Thomas Eastman, Jonathan Brown, Ebenezer Boynton, Zebulon Sinclair, Jonathan Scruton, Deacon Christopher Smith, Rufus H. Eastman, John Jewell, Jacob Merrill, Daniel Worthen. [Source: Gazetteer of Grafton County NH, 1709-1886, compiled and published by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, June 1886]
    • More History: In 1751 the township of Holderness had been asked for and granted. On October 15th, in that year, His Excellency, Benning Wentworth, laid before the council a "petition of Thomas Shepard and others, inhabitants of the Province, praying for a grant of His Majesty's lands of the contents of six miles square on Pemidgwasset river, to which the Council did advise and consent. Thomas Shepard's petition was signed by sixty-four persons, to whom accordingly the grant was made. The decisive defeat of the French at Quebec, in 1759, removed that terror from this region. The land was open for safe occupation. In 1761 Governor Benning Wentworth issued grants for eighteen townships. It was under one of these grants that Holderness was finally settled. It incorporates into a township a piece of land six miles square. In Holderness it amounted to eight hundred acres. The charter gave the township thus erected the name of New Holderness. The first settler of New Holderness was William Piper and his wife Susanna. She was John Shepard's daugher. John Shepard had been a ranger with Robert Rogers, and eloped with Susanna Smith. When the War of Independence came on, he purposed to remain neutral, but was arrested by overzealous patriots and put on parole at Exerter. This so altered his ideals of neutrality that on being released he prompltly donned the uniform of the British service. He was killed in action on shipboard off the Grand Menan. His daughter Susanna, on her marriage to William Piper, had her father's lot for dowry. It lay between Squam Lake and White Oak Pond, on the west side of the connecting brook. There, in 1763, they build a cabin and set up housekeeping, and thus began the actual settlement of Holderness.
  • PHOTOGRAPHS & POSTCARDS:
  • BUSINESS:
  • MAPS:


LANDAFF


LEBANON
  • Brief History: The name Lebanon comes from the biblical cedars of ancient Lebanon, being the Semitic word meaning white, referring to the nearby mountain with perpetual snows on its summit. Established in 1761, the name was probably selected by the many early settlers who were from Lebanon, Connecticut, including Eleazar Wheelock, founder of Dartmouth College. Lebanon was the original home of the Indian Charity School from which Dartmouth is descended. Lebanon was incorporated as a city in 1957.
  • Villages and Place Names: East Wilder, Mascoma, Sachem Village, West Lebanon, East Lebanon, Lebanon
  • Profile & Statistics:
  • GOVERNMENT:
  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY:
    • History & Genealogy of Lebanon NH - TXT File (this site) - description, geology and geography of Lebanon NH; description of Lebanon in 1880-1885; vilages in Lebanon NH; businesses and manufactures; church histories; meeting of the proprietors in 1761; early minutes of town meetings, including names of many town officers and committees of safety during the American Revolution; incorporation and early history of the town; early population statistics; Biographies and Genealogies of the following early and prominent individuals and their families, including those of: Col. Elisha Ticknor, Nathaniel Storrs, Eliel Peck, Col. Edmund Freeman, Nathaniel Hall, Moses Hebard, Silas Waterman, Wetherell Hough, Dea. Nehemiah Estabrook, Joseph Martin, Samuel Barrows, Lewis Bythrow, Enos Perkins, Elisha Liscomb, Henry Benton, Samuel Gerrish, Oliver Stearns, Richard Walker, Robert Chase, Amos Butman, George Worthen, Amos Kinne, William Ela, Alpheus Baker, Joseph Wood, Hon. Albert Shaw, Jewett Hosley, William Benton, Robert Kimball, Daniel Brockway, William Weeks, Dr. James Davis, Dr. Constant Manchester, Gilman Whipple, and Dr. Phinehas Parkhurst [Source: Gazetteer of Grafton County NH, 1709-1886, compiled and published by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, June 1886]
    • Burials in Lebanon & West Lebanon - The City of Lebanon Public Works Department maintains the cemeteries, contact them about more recent burials.
    • Three Ancient Cemeteries (tombstone transcriptions of Old Pine Cemetery, East Plainfield Cemetery, and Leavitt Cemetery) - located in Grafton county, New Hampshire, in the town of Enfield, near the boundary line that separates that township from that of Lebanon.
    • Brief History of Lebanon NH - from official Lebanon City web site
    • Lebanon NH - USGenWeb
  • BUSINESS:
  • PHOTOGRAPHS:
    • Lebanon: Photograph: Aaron Harrison Cragin (1821-1898); b 3 Feb 1821 in Weston, VT; resided Lebanon, Grafton Co. NH; Republican; served as a U.S. congressman from NH 1855 to 1859 and as a U.S. senator from 1865 to 1877; d. in Washington D.C. 10 May 1898. Buried School Street Cemetery in Lebanon NH. Married 3 Feb 1848 in Weston VT to Isabella TULLER. Had at least one child: Harry Wilton
    • LEBANON: Town Hall - from Directorynh.com
  • MAPS:


LINCOLN


LISBON
  • History: First granted in 1763 as Concord, in 1764 the town was renamed Chiswick, after the Duke of Devonshire's castle, when Rumford took the name Concord. In 1768 the town was renamed Gunthwaite after a relation of Governor John Wentworth. The name Lisbon was selected in 1824 by Governor Levi Woodbury, whose friend Colonel William Jarvis had been consul at Lisbon, Portugal. Lisbon once included land that is now part of Littleton and Sugar Hill.
  • Villages and Place Names: Barrett, Savageville
  • Profile & Statistics:
  • GOVERNMENT:
    • Town of Lisbon NH web site
    • Lisbon Public Library
      45 School Street
      Lisbon, NH 03585-6512
      Telephone: (603) 838-6615
    • Lisbon Historical Society
      45 School Street
      Lisbon NH 03585
      Phone: 603-838-6615
      Fax: 603-838-6615
      Email: LPL@ncia.net
  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY:
    • History & Genealogy of Lisbon NH - TXT file (this site) - geography and description of the town; early settlement and settlers; villages; business, manufactures and hotels; church history; firsts in town; biographies and some genealogy of early settlers and prominent citizens (and their families) including: William Aldrich, Stimpson Harris, Stephen Simonds, Alvin Crane, Jonathan Bowles, Moses Aldrich, Leonard Morse, Ephraim Dexter, Capt. Leonard Whiting, Ebenezer Richardson, George Jesseman, Rufus Whipple, Jeremy Howland, Hon. Levi Parker, Clark Dexter, Samuel Sherman, Amos Elliott, Hon. Augustus A. Woolson, Davis Smith, Daniel Jepperson, Smith Wetherbee [Weatherbee], John Clark, Artemas Wells, Human Pennock, Jonathan Hildreth, Elkanah Hildreth, Jehiel Savage, Simeon Smith, John Batchelder, David Hildreth, John Corey, Jethro Aldrich, William Jackman, Chester Taylor, David Aldrich, Hon. William Huse Cummings, Ephraim Cooley, William Beane, Rev. Isaiah Shipman, Day Corey, James Bailey, Dr. Charles Hart Boynton, James G. Moore. [SOURCE: Gazeteer of Grafton County NH, 1709-1886, compiled and published by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, June 1886]
  • PHOTOGRAPHS & POSTCARDS:
  • MAPS:

LITTLETON
  • History: Part of Lisbon until 1770, when it was granted as Apthorp in honor of George Apthorp, head of one of the wealthiest mercantile establishments in Boston. The land was later passed to the Apthorp family's associates from Newburyport, Massachusetts, headed by Colonel Moses Little. Colonel Little held the post of Surveyor of the King's Woods, and the town was named Littleton in his honor the same year New Hampshire became a state.
  • Villages and Place Names: Apthorp, North Littleton
  • Profile & Statistics:
  • GOVERNMENT:
  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY
    • History & Genealogy of Littleton NH - Txt File (this site) - Geography and description of the town of Littleton NH; description of the town in 1885; church history; villages; business, mills and manufacture; population and early settlement; physicians, schools and education; hotels; Littleton during the wars; Biographies of early settlers and prominent citizens including: Nathan Caswell, Hopkinson Family, Solomon Mann, Peleg Williams, James Remick, Jonas Nurs, Oliver Nurse, Nathan Applebee, Abijah Allen, Solomon Whiting, Ebenezer Farr, William Brackett, David Millen, Azra Eastman, Samuel Goodwin, Amos Wallace, Levi Dodge, Gilman Wheeler, Josiah Kilburn, Truman Stevens, Edmund Carleton, John Foster, Isaac Foster, Smith Jones, Trueworthy Parker, Nathaniel Shute, John Merrill, George Farr, Ellery Dunn, Col. Cyrus Eastman, Henry Tilton, John Quimby, Theron Farr, John Streeter, Henry Thayer, Charles Clay, Phineas Goold/Gould, Dr. F.T. Moffett, Nathaniel FLanders, Benjamin Page, Alonzo Weeks, Jeremiah Phillips, Nathan Kinne, Reuben Phillips, Asa Colburn, Franklin Glover, John English, William Harriman, Dennis Wheeler, Gabriel G. Moulton, Mitchell Salway, Elisha Smith, Gen. Edward Oakes Kenney, Henry Richardson, Newton Cooley, Sylvester Hurlbutt, Clarissa Walker, Charles Bedell, Joel Bronson, Jonathan Lovejoy, John Pierce, James Parker, William Eudy, Hon. James Barrett, John Morrison, Milo Pollard, Clark Powers, Zelotes Stevens, Dr. George McGregor, Rev. Francis Lyford, Gilman Morrison, James Williams, James Richardson, and MANY many more not mentioned here. [Source: Gazetteer of Grafton County NH, 1709-1886, compiled and published by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, June 1886]
    • Article & Photographs: Biography of Littleton NH Novelist: Eleanor Hodgman Porter (1868-1920) - from Blog: Cow Hampshire
    • Article & Photographs: Littleton New Hampshire: Kilburn Stereoscopic Views, including the Kilburn family tree- from Blog: Cow Hampshire
    • Online Google Book: History of Littleton NH (genealogies) by George Clarence Furber, 1905- free
    • Article: Littleton New Hampshire Children's Fiction Author: Tor Seidler (1952-Still Living) - Blog: Cow Hampshire
    • Littleton Area Historical Museum
    • Historic Thayer's Inn (Littleton NH) - opened about 1850 by Henry L. Thayers, the inn has hosted a number of famous people including President Ulysses S. Grant, President Franklin Pierce, President Richard Nixon, President Jimmy Carter, President George H. Bush, Vice President Nelson A. Rockefeller, Senator Barry Goldwater, Senator Harold Stassen, Senator Bill Bradley, Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole, Governor Hugh Gallen, Governor Sherman Adams, Governor George Romney, Governor Estes Kefauver, Ambassador Robert Hill, Presidential Candidate Patrick Buchanan, Civil War General George McClellan, Commander Robert E. Peary “ Artic Explorer”, Lieutenant General Tomoyuki Yamashita “The Tiger of Manila”, Henry Ford “Ford Motor Company”, Actress Betty Davis, P.T. Barnum, General Tom Thumb, Ed Bruce “Mama Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys”, Author Michael Blake “Dances with Wolves”, Publisher Horace Greely “Go West Young Man”, and Millionaire Playboy Harry K. Thaw
  • BUSINESS, PLACES & THINGS:
  • PHOTOGRAPHS & POSTCARDS:
  • MAPS:

LIVERMORE

LYMAN
  • History: Granted in 1761, the town was named for General Phineas Lyman, an active commander in the Seven Years' War with France and Spain. General Lyman was compensated for his services by grants in Lyman, Grantham, and Lisbon, and eleven towns in what is now Vermont. A section of Lyman was taken by legislature in 1854 to form the town of Monroe.
  • Villages and Place Names: Parker Hill, Tinkerville
  • Profile & Statistics:
  • GOVERNMENT:
    • Lyman Town Clerk
      65 Parker Hill Road
      Lyman NH 03585
      Telephone: 603-838-5900
      Fax: 603-838-6818
  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY:
    • History & Genealogy of Lyman NH - TXT file - this site - Geographical description of the town; description of the town in 1885; early settlement; the church; Genealogical & biographical information on early settlers and prominent citizens including Noah Moulton, Thomas Miner, Parker Family, Nathaniel Partridge, Abial Knapp, Jonathan Knapp, William Clough, Benjamin Sherman, Abram Hall, Joshua Thornton, Ezra Foster, Samuel Titus, David Locke, Elkanah Hoskins, Perley Smith, Eliphalet Mason, Timothy B. Hurd, David Ash, Pliny Bartlett, Samuel Spaulding, and Amos Bedell and their families.[SOURCE: Gazeteer of Grafton County NH, 1709-1886, compiled and published by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, June 1886]
    • Tombstone Photographs, Center Cemetery, Lyman NH
    • Tombstone Photographs, Moulton Cemetery, Lyman NH
  • PHOTOGRAPHS & POSTCARDS:
  • MAPS:

LYME
  • History: Another of the many towns granted along the Connecticut River in 1761, Lyme takes its name from Old Lyme, which lies at the mouth of the Connecticut River. Most of the grantees were from Palmer and Brimfield in Massachusetts, or from Londonderry, New Hampshire.
  • Villages and Place Names: Lyme, Lyme Center, Lyme Plain, Cook City
  • Statistics & Profile:
  • GOVERNMENT:
    • Lyme Town Clerk
      P.O. Box 126
      Lyme NH 03768
      Telephone: 603-795-4639
      Fax: 603-795-4637
    • Lyme Town Library
      38 Union Street
      Lyme, NH 03768-9702
      Telephone: (603) 795-4622
      E-mail: lyme.library@valley.net
    • Lyme Historians
      c/o William Murphy
      PO Box 41
      Lyme NH 03768
      Phone: 603-795-2287 or
      603-353-4617

  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY
    • History & Genealogy of Lyme NH - TXT File (this site) - geography and early history of the town of Lyme NH including mention of early settlers; description of villages; church history; early settlement of the town; business and manufactures; list of Lyme citizens who participated in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, and the Civil war *who died in Lyme NH*; brief biographies of early physicians including: Dr. Stiles, DOCTORS Samuel Cary, Anthony Burgoyne, Cyrus Hamilton, Daniel Hovey, Cyrus B. Hamilton, William Wallace Amsden, Adoniram Smalley, Abram O. Dickey, Charles O. Gordon, John C. Marshall, Charles Franklin Kingsbury, J. Walter Bean, and W.R. Barnes; biographies and family genealogies of the following families (early and later settlers): John Sloan, Nathaniel Hewes, Benjamin Grant, Justus Grant, Edward Howard, Caleb Bailey, Colonel Samuel Gilbert Esq., James English, Dea. Joseph Skinner, Dea. Jonathan Goodell, Thomas Porter, Samuel Bixby, William Davison, Nathaniel Martin, John Simmons, Jonathan Franklin Esq, Dea. Abel Franklin, Zachariah Jenks, David Pushee, Solomon Smith, Nathan Stark, Isaac Perkins, Rufus Conant, Libeus Washburn, James Cook, Jacob Tuner, Dan Shaw, Shubael Dimock, Capt. John Nelson, Ezra Warren, Joshua Warren, Thomas Baker, Cutting Family including Zebedee Cutting, Benjamin Morey, James Beal, Peter Post, John Culver, Joel Converse, Zadok Gilbert, Abel Kent, Ebenezer Tinkham, Thomas Hall, Jeremiah Bingham, Nathaniel Waite, Thomas Tallman, Capt. Moses and Samuel Flint, Eliphalet Kimball, Peter Cline (or Klein), Abel Marshall, Rufus Claflin, David Steele, Nathaniel Southworth (name changed to Southard), Lemuel Holt, William Derby, Peres Haskell, Reuben Bliss, David C. Churchill, Moses Smith, Elisha Clough, Hiram Mayo, Lyman Kemp, William Kempt, Hannibal Chase, Alvah Jeffers, Elisha Ball, John Fellows, Asa Thurston, Jedediah Holt, Fred Palmer, Oscar Melvin, George Gordon, Cyrus Gordon, Thomas Sawyer, George Randlett, Samuel Phelps, Cyrus Camp [and other countless names of minor mention not included here]; brief biographies of clergymen including: William Conant, Rev. Baxter Perry, Rev. Joseph B. Read, Rev. Appleton Belknap, and others. [SOURCE: Gazeteer of Grafton County NH, 1709-1886, compiled and published by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, June 1886]
  • PHOTOGRAPHS & POSTCARDS:
  • MAPS:

MONROE
  • History: This town was first known as Hurd's Location, and then as West Lyman. It was separated from Lyman in 1854, and given the name Monroe in honor of President James Monroe, who toured the region during his presidency. Monroe contains part of the Ammonoosuc Gold Fields, extensive mineral deposits that have never been successfully mined.
  • Villages and Place Names: Monroe, North Monroe
  • Statistics & Profile:
  • GOVERNMENT:
    • Monroe Town Clerk
      PO Box 63
      Monroe NH 03771
      Telephone: 603-638-2644
      Fax: 603-638-2021
    • Monroe Public Library
      P.O. Box 67 - 19 Plains Road
      Monroe, NH 03771-0067
      Telephone: (603) 638-4736
    • Monroe Historical Society
      60 Fairfield Road
      Monroe NH 03771
      Contact: Charles Hammer, President
      603-638-4104
      Email: charleshammer@hitchcock.org
  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY
    • History & Genealogy of Monroe, NH - TXT File (this site) -- geographical description of the town; church history; description of the town in 1884; villages; business and manufactures; early history of the town; first town meeting and elected officials; biographies and brief genealogies of early settlers and prominent residents of the town (and their families) including: John Hinman, Ethan Smith, Robert Nelson, Philip Paddleford, Richard Moore, Bethuel Turner, Sabin Johnson, Elijah Dickinson, Caleb Emery, Darius Blodgett, John Buffum, Horace Duncan, Isaiah Cross, William Frazer, David Warden, William Lang, Alexander Albee, and John Clark.[SOURCE: Gazeteer of Grafton County NH, 1709-1886, compiled and published by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, June 1886]
    • Cemetery Inscriptions & Photographs (limited) - North Monroe and Monroe Village Cemetery, Monroe NH
    • Genealogy - The Turner Family of Monroe NH
  • PHOTOGRAPHS & POSTCARDS:
  • MAPS:

ORANGE
  • History: Granted in 1769, the town was first named Cardigan, for George Brudenell, fourth Earl of Cardigan. The original name is still used in Mount Cardigan and Cardigan State Park. Voters made several attempts to change the name following the Revolution, trying the names Bradford, Middletown, Liscomb, and finally Orange. Orange was probably chosen because of the large quantities of yellow-orange ochre found in Mount Cardigan.
  • Villages and Place Names: Orange, Cardigan.
  • Profile & Statistics:
  • GOVERNMENT
    • Official Town of Orange NH web site [link dead]
    • Orange Town Clerk
      PO Box 37
      Orange NH 03741
      Telephone: 603-523-7054
      Fax: 603-523-7054
    • or call Carol Decato (603) 523-4808
  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY
    • History & Genealogy of Orange NH - TXT File (this site) - geography and description of the town of Orange NH; settlement of the town; history of the union church; brief biographies and genealogies of early settlers and promininent citizens (and their families) including: Jotham Stevens, Isaac Lowell, Richard Ford, Elijah Whittier, Oliver French, Thomas Fernald, Gould Dimond, Micajah Morrell, Samuel Adams. [SOURCE: Gazeteer of Grafton County NH, 1709-1886, compiled and published by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, June 1886]
  • PHOTOGRAPHS & POSTCARDS:
  • MAPS

ORFORD
  • History: First called Number 7 in a line of Connecticut River fort towns, this town was named for Robert Walpole, Earl of Orford, and England's first Prime Minister. An original grantee was General Israel Morey, whose son Samuel discovered a way to separate hydrogen from oxygen in water, using the knowledge to develop the first marine steam engine. The first steamboat was demonstrated on the river at Orford.
  • Villages and Place Names: Gilmans Corner, Merriwood Camp, Orfordville, Quintown
  • Profile & Statistics:
  • GOVERNMENT:
    • Official Town of Orford web site
    • Orford Social Library
      P.O. Box 189 - Main Street
      Orford, NH 03777-0189
      Telephone: (603) 353-9756
    • Orford Historical Society
      PO Box 44
      Orford NH 03777
      Contact: Kellen Haak, President
      603-353-4656
  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY
    • History & Genealogy of Orford NH - TXT File (this site) - geographic description of Orford NH; description of the town in 1880-1884; description of villages; Orford Academy history; business and manufactures; early settlement of the town, including names of the early settlers; genealogy and biographies of some of the early settlers and prominent citizens (and their families) including that of: Nathaniel Mann, John Mann Jr., Deacon John Niles, Thomas Savage, George Savage, Ephraim Phelps, William Brown, James Pebbles, William Grimes, James Dayton, Samuel Tillotsen, Capt. Alexander Stony, William Howard, John Hall, Bethuel Cross, Elihu Corliss, Nathaniel Marsh, Royal Morriss, Joseph Pratt, John Hale, Samuel Lovejoy, Enos Lovejoy, John Bickford, Nathaniel Haselton, Stedman Willard, Nathaniel Russell, Stephen Cushman, John R. Pierce, Benjamin Trussell, James H. Learned, Horace H. Conant, Benjamin Morrill, Daniel P. Wheeler, Captain Chandler & Family, Alexander Hodge, Samuel L. Blair, Ezekiel, Francis and Steven Davis, David Whitman, Stephen Howland, Asahel Blodgett, Daniel Coburn, and Hazen Carr.[SOURCE: Gazeteer of Grafton County NH, 1709-1886, compiled and published by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, June 1886]
  • PHOTOGRAPHS & POSTCARDS:
  • MAPS:

PIERMONT
  • History: Situated on the Connecticut River just west of the White Mountain National Forest, this town's name is taken from Piedmont in the Italian Alps, a re-spelling of the Italian Piemonte. The town is home to Lake Tarleton, which once was on the property of Colonel William Tarleton. The Colonel kept a tavern in Piermont, fought in the Revolution, was a delegate to the Constitutional Convention of 1791, and a member of the presidential Electoral College in 1804.
  • Villages and Place Names:
  • Profile & Statistics:
  • GOVERNMENT:
    • Piermont Town Clerk
      P.O. Box 27
      Piermont NH 03779
      Telephone: 603-272-4840
      Fax: 603-272-5052
    • Piermont Public Library
      P.O. Box 6 - 130 Route 10
      Piermont 03779-0006
      Telephone: (603) 272-4967
    • Piermont Historical Society
      PO Box 273
      Piermont NH 03779
      Contact: Joe Medlicott, President
      603-272-4974
  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY
    • History & Genealogy of Piermont NH - PDF file (this site) - geography and description of the town of Piermont NH, including early boundaries; description of the town in 1880-1884; churches; village; manufactures and business; early settlers and settlment of the town; biographies and some family genealogy of the following early settler and prominent citizens (including): David Tyler, Jonathan Tyler, Burgess Metcalf, Abner Chandler, Deacon Andrew Cook, Stevens family (Edward, Joseph, Parker, Caleb John, Hannah and Polly), Michael Barstow, Ephriam [Ephraim] Cross, Nathaniel Underhill, Freeman Bowen, Aaron Hibbard, Thadeus Rogers, Robert Evans, Aaron Barton, Cyrus Hodsdon, Amos Gould, Colonel William Simpson, Captain Benjamin Aiken, William Gannett, Aaron Jewett, George Libbey, James Muchmore, Alden Ford, and Major Uriah Stone.[Source: Gazetteer of Grafton County NH, 1709-1886, compiled and published by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, June 1886]
    • PIERMONT, Grafton Co. NH - Public Notice of properties to be sold at public auction at the house of William H. Wells, innholder in said Piermont. Includes descriptions and locations of the properties. Owner names include: Hunt farm near Amos Hurds last occupied by Joseph T. Judkins; gristmill owned by J.F. Wilson, last occupied by Asahel Farnsworth; Land claimed by Ezra Bartlett, being a part of lot No. 52 in the 4th division, Noah Doe, Eliphalet Kimball, Richard Underhill, Wiseman Clagget, Daniel Warner, William Parker, Richard Jenness, A. Wiggins, Jonathan Church, Jonathan Carleton, John Hale. Ad placed by George W. Stevens, collector. (this site, original page found here)
    • Article: Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient: Piermont NH’s Nathaniel Churchill Barker (1836-1904), from BLOG: Cow Hampshire
    • Genealogy: The Lane Family of Piermont NH
    • Lake Tarleton State Park
  • PHOTOGRAPHS & POSTCARDS
  • MAPS:

PLYMOUTH
  • History: Part of a large plot of undivided land in the Pemigewasset Valley, this town was first named New Plymouth, after the original Plymouth colony in Massachusetts. The grant for this town went to settlers from Hollis, all of whom had been soldiers in the Seven Years' War. Some had originally come from Plymouth, Massachusetts. Plymouth is the home of Plymouth State University.
  • Villages and Place Names: Plymouth, West Plymouth, Glove Hollow
  • Profile & Statistics
  • GOVERNMENT:
    • Plymouth Town Clerk
      6 Post Office Square
      Plymouth NH 03264
      Telephone: 603-536-1731
      Fax: 603-536-0036
    • Pease Public Library
      1 Russell Street
      Plymouth, NH 03264-1414
      Telephone: (603) 536-2616
    • Plymouth Historical Society
      Court Street
      Plymouth 03264
      Mail: c/o Elsa Turmella
      5 Webster Street
      Plymouth NH 03264
      603-536-2337
  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY:
    • History & Genealogy of Plymouth NH - TXT file (this site) - geography and description of the town of Plymouth NH; church history; list of original grantees of the town (in 1763); early settlement of the town; villages; business, manufactures and hotels; Plymouth citizens during the American Revolution; biographies and some genealogies of early settlers and prominent citizens (and their families) of Plymouth NH including: Winthrop Welles, Joseph Reed, William George, Dr. Samuel Rogers, Moor Russell, Peter & James McQuesten; James Langdon, John Keniston, Stephen Bartlett, Solomon Bailey, Jacob Merrill, Nathan Penniman, Enoch Ward, David Hazelton, Judge Samuel Emerson, Aaron Currier, Daniel Wheeler, William Hull, Hon. James A. Dodge, Jonathan Hull, William Blodgett, Elbridge Blodgett, Benjamin Ellis, Gen. Cyrus Corliss, Capt. Ephraim Green, Hiram Merrill, Gilmore Houston, William Harriman, Hiram Philbrick, Harrison Philbrick, Thomas Clark, Manson York, Eugene Sullivan, ELijah Smith, Hazen Smith, Eben Smith, Benjamin Smith, John Chandler, Cyrus Sargeant, Nathan Weeks, Edgar Merrill, Alexander Smyth, Kimball Whitney, Hon. Manson Brown, Chase Calley, George Colby, Dr. Enos Huckins, Harmon Sargent, Walter Sargent, Smith Rowe, Roland Avery, Imogene (Thomas) Field, Jesse Sanborn, William Park, Dr. Haven Palmer, George Brown, Henry Cummings, George Garland, William Welch, Lewis Grant, Robinson LeBarron, Alonzo Morse, John Berry, and George Cook.[SOURCE: Gazeteer of Grafton County NH, 1709-1886, compiled and published by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, June 1886].
    • The History of Plymouth, NH by Ezra Stearns, 1906 (partial view)- Goodle EBooks
    • Plymouth, NH's involvement in the Spanish-American War (Google EBooks)
  • PHOTOGRAPHS:
  • MAPS:

RUMNEY
  • History: This town is New Hampshire's youngest, incorporated in 1962. After considerable litigation, it was carved out of Lisbon to be an independent voting unit. The name Sugar Hill comes from a large grove of sugar maples in the hills.
  • Villages and Place Names: Quincy, Rumney Depot, Stinson Lake, West Rumney
  • Profile & Statistics:
  • GOVERNMENT:
    • Rumney Town Clerk
      P.O. Box 2205
      Rumney NH 03266
      Telephone: 603-786-9511
      Fax: 603-786-2262
    • Byron G. Merrill Library
      10 Buffalo Road
      Rumney, NH 03266-0010
      Telephone: (603) 786-9520
    • Rumney Historical Society
      PO Box 945
      Rumney NH 03266
      Contact: Roger Daniels, President
      603-786-9291
      Email: judy.alger@eagle1st.com
  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY
    • History & Genealogy of Rumney NH - TXT file (this site) - geography and description of the town and villages; description of the town in 1885; businesses and manufactures; history of churches; settlement of the town and early settlers; biographies and brief genealogiest of early settlers and prominent residents (and their families) including those of Nathaniel Abbott, Jonathan Hall, Henry Hall, Henry Hall (2d), Oliver Spaulding, Abraham Burnham, James Hebert, Daniel Smart, Josiah French, George Simpson, Samuel Simpson, Dr. Daniel Darling, Daniel Elliott, Joseph Keyes, Unite Hutchins, Joseph Sanborn, George Rogers, John Dearborn, Milton Holden, James Swain, Charles Spaulding, George Spaulding, Charles Bunker, Blaisdel Merrill, Robert Merrill, Frederick Glover, Richard Clark, Frederick McIntosh, Reuben Robie, ALonzo Avery, Gardner Avery, Hiram Farnsworth, Oliver Doe, Clinton Preston, Israel Hardy, Jeremiah David Colburn, David Keniston, Rev. King Solomon Hall, Charles Craig, Dr. Ai Russell, Charles Davis, John Peppard, Charles A. Chase and others. [SOURCE: Gazeteer of Grafton County NH, 1709-1886, compiled and published by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, June 1886].
    • Preston family inscriptions in Rumney Depot Cemetery
  • PHOTGRAPHS, POSTCARDS & MULTI-MEDIA
  • MAPS:

SUGAR HILL

THORNTON
  • History: Chartered in 1763, this town was named for Dr. Matthew Thornton, a grant given to him in return for his service as surgeon in the Pepperell expedition. Dr. Thornton, whose practice was in Merrimack, was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, a justice of the Superior Court, speaker of the House of Representatives, member of the State Senate, delegate to the Continental Congress, and president of the state following the Revolutionary War.
  • Villages and Place Names: Goose Hollow, West Thornton
  • Profile & Statistics:
  • GOVERNMENT:
    • Thornton Town Clerk
      16 Merrill Access Road
      Thornton NH 03223
      Telephone: 603-726-4232
      Fax: 603-726-2078
    • Thornton Public Library
      RR 1 - State Route 175 - Box 275
      Thornton, NH 03223-9510
      Telephone: (603) 726-8981
    • Thornton Historical Society
      PO Box 1176
      Campton NH 03223
      Contact: Barbara Sellingham. President
      603-726-4232
  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY:
    • History of the Town of Thornton NH - TXT file (this site) Geography of the town of Thornton, NH; early land and boundary disputes; description of the town in 1885; description of villages; early business and manufactures; signers of the petition for incorporation of the town; prominent citizens and early settlers (biographies and some genealogy) including: Winthrop Bagley, Jacob Lelingham, Elijah Durgin, Ebenezer Foss, Moses Foss, A.H. Kendall, and Isaac Mitchell - [SOURCE: Gazeteer of Grafton County NH, 1709-1886, compiled and published by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, June 1886].
    • THORNTON, Grafton Co. NH - Guardian's Sale of Real Estate at the dwelling house of Moody Elliot in Thornton NH. This property was "one third part undivided which Margaret Ann Thornton, a minor and daughter of MATTHEW THORNTON, late of Merrimac [the signer of the Declaration of Independence from NH], has in the following descriped lots of Land, situate in said town of Thornton... more description included. Mentions, Jesse Bowers, guardian, of Dunstable NH. The ad was placed by James B. Thornton and Joseph Greeley, owners in common and undivided of the other two third parts of said land...(this site, original page found here)
    • Article: " New Hampshire Missing Places: Glacial Park, Thornton" - from Blog: Cow Hampshire
  • PHOTOGRAPHS & POSTCARDS:
  • MAPS:

WARREN

WATERVILLE VALLEY

WENTWORTH
  • History: First chartered in 1766, this town was originally reserved for the private use of Governor Benning Wentworth. When John Wentworth succeeded his uncle as governor, one of his first acts was to grant the tract to a group of settlers, naming it Wentworth in his uncle's honor. Most of the new colonists came from Salisbury, Massachusetts. Wentworth is in the Baker River Valley near Carr Mountain.
  • Villages and Place Names:
  • Profile & Statistics:
  • GOVERNMENT:
    • Official Town of Wentworth NH web site
    • Webster Memorial Library
      P.O. Box 105
      Wentworth, NH 03282-0105
      Telephone: (603) 764-5818
    • Wentworth Historical Society
      PO Box 13
      Wentworth NH 03282-0013
      Contact: Maurice Muzzey, President
      603-764-9404

  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY:
    • History & Genealogy of Wentworth NH - TXT file (this site) - Geography and description of the town of Wentworth NH; description of the town, and villages, in 1885; business and manufactures; settlement of the town; biographies and genealogies of early residents and prominent citizens and their families, including those of: Ebenezer Gove, Uriah Colburn, Jeremiah Smart, Isaac Clifford, the Smith Family, Samuel Currier, Samuel Moore, John Foster, and Moses Knight. [SOURCE: Gazeteer of Grafton County NH, 1709-1886, compiled and published by Hamilton Child; Syracuse NY, The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, June 1886].
    • WENTWORTH, Grafton Co. NH - Public notice of land auctions at the Inn of Atherton & Lull in Wentworth NH. Describes property with location. Owner names include: Nathan Bachelder, Jacob Currier, Samuel Dudley, Samuel Stevens and Col. Ebenezer Stevens. Ad placed by Moses Eaton 2d, collector. (this site, original page found here)
  • PHOTOGRAPHS & POSTCARDS:
  • MAPS:

WOODSTOCK

New Hampshire History & Genealogy
Counties List | Research Genealogy | History
Reference | Photographs | Communicate | Site Map
Copyright © 2004-2014 | Grafton County NH History & Genealogy at SEARCHROOTS
All rights reserved
Contact the Webmaster:
If you can't see my email address, click here
 
 
 
Littleton Bethlehem