History and Genealogy of Merrimack, Hillsborough County NH
Main Page
Main Page
Genealogical Research
Maps and Statistics
Maps & Statistics
Historic Places
Historic Places
Public Buildings
Useful LinksUseful Links
Family Trees
Family Trees
About Us - Contact Me
About Us/Contact
Site MapSite Map
VISIT the New Hampshire Genealogy & History web site!

The HISTORY OF MERRIMACK, New Hampshire - SOURCE: History of Hillsborough County, New Hampshire
Philadelphia: J.W. Lewis & Co., 1885, p. 527 -TXT file

Read: "Merrimack by the River" - SOURCE - Granite State Magazine



Visit the Cow Hampsha Shop!

H I S T O R Y  of Merrimack, New Hampshire

Brief History | Physical Description of the Town
Early Settlers, Early Businesses, Churches, etc.

Business & Manufacturing after 1900 | Merrimack in Wartime
Other Merrimack History Links

"Let us look backward for a moment and picture if we can, the conditions that existed two hundred and more years ago; when the white People first began to creep up these river valleys. No History records the account of any earlier settlers than the Indians and their origin has never quite been determined."
    -- Mattie Kilborn Webster, historian for the 1946 Bicentennial

[Also SEE the 1946 Bicentennial Celebration of Merrimack NH]

from the following sources:
- The Nashua Telegraph, June 22, 1946 - edited
- History of Hillsborough County, New Hampshire; Philadelphia: J.W. Lewis & Co., 1885, 878 pgs.
- History of the old township of Dunstable : Nashua, Nashville, Hollis, Hudson, Litchfield, and Merrimac, N.H., Dunstable and Tyngsborough, Mass., by Charles J. Fox; Nashua N.H.: C.T. Gill, 1846, 298 pgs.
- "Merrimack by the River," article in Granite State Magazine; Vol II, October 1906.

The first mention of the territory (containing the current town of Merrimack NH)
among written records was the petition of Passaconnaway to the General Court of Massachusetts for a grant of land to include a part of this region. This was in 1662, and in the autumn of that year the court acceded to this reasonable request, and the aged sachem and his associates were granted a strip of country a mile and a half wide on both banks of the Merrimack at this section of the river. Although the boundaries of this grant are not specifically known today, it is probable that the chieftain held at least a portion of the current town of Merrimack.

As early as 1672, Capt. Jonathan Tyng and a handful of associates felled the first tree along what was then looked upon as the "Upper Merrimack" and made the clearing for the little settlement about Salmon Brook. From this adventurous beginning grew the township of Old Dunstable.

Merrimack (also known as "Merrymac" and "Merrimac" in some old records), New Hampshire was originally a part of old Dunstable township. Its Native American name was "Naticook."

Dunstable, in the early days consisted of more than 200 square miles, including the present towns of Nashua, Nashville, Hudson, Hollis, along with Dunstable and Tyngsborough MA; and in addition, PORTIONS of the present towns of Amherst, Milford, Merrimack, Litchfield, Londonderry, Pelham, Brookline, Pepperell and Townsend.

In the winter of 1703-1704, Capt. William Tyng, a son of the founders of Dunstable, made his famous "Snow-shoe expedition" against the Indians, passing up the west bank of the river and through what is now the territory of the town of Merrimack.

In the month of September, 1724, at a time when the Indians were particularly aggressive, Two men, by the names of Nathan Cross and Thomas Blanchard, while engaged in the manufacture of turpentine, were surprised and captured by the Indians. Their friends living at the little settlement on the south bank of the Nashua River, looked in vain for them at nightfall, became alarmed and a part of ten started in quest of them. This band of scouts were themselves waylaid by the Naticook Brook, near Thornton's Ferry, and only one man, Lieutenant Farwell, escaped with his life. In the same year Mr. William Lund of Dunstable was taken prisoner and carried to Canada. He was ransomed soon after and returning to this vicinity he was attracted by its natural features to become one of the first settlers of the town. He built his house near an oak tree which had witnessed the death of one of the ten scouts mentioned. It is related that his estimable wife obtained the money to ransom him from his enemies in Canada by converting her property into a sum amounting to five hundred livres, which she forwarded for his redemption. Afterwards she used to claim with good reason that "she owned him, as she had bought him."

In 1725, John Chamberlain "of Groton" [who later lived in Merrimack] is listed among the noted Lovewell's party to Fryeburg, ME, where John Chamberlain was famous for killing the Indian, "Paugus."

As early as 1656 a tract of land south of the Naticook had been granted to William Brenton by the Massachusetts General Court, whence the name "Brenton's Farm," formerly given to the southern part of Merrimack. In 1728, Brenton's heirs, and others who had purchased a share in the grant, organized and took measures for opening it up for settlement, and new clearings were rapidly made in various directions.

In July 1729, the lands lying north of the Souhegan, three miles in width, were granted to Joseph Blanchard and others.

In 1732 the inhabitants on the northerly side of the Nashua River petitioned to be set off also with "Brenton's Farm," but the petition was not granted by the town. In 1733, however, part of the town lying west of Merrimack River was incorporated by the General Assembly into a township by the name of Rumford, but soon after was called "Merrimac."

In 1734 the General Court of Massachusetts granted a town organization called Naticook, which seems to have included Litchfield as well as the southern part of Merrimack, and for twelve years the people on both sides of the river elected town officers in common, erected the old meeting-house in Litchfield, and secured the services of Joshua Tufts, of Newbury, who left in 1744.

In 1741 when the boundary line between Massachusetts and New Hampshire was settled, it placed this area in New Hampshire.

In 1746 a group of some 300 settlers desired to be set apart from the larger grant. Therefore, they petitioned King George of England "that they be incorporated into a township and enfranchised with the same powers and privileges other towns in the province enjoyed." The petition being granted, they were given a charter April 2, 1746. The town was called Merrimack for the river upon which it is situated.

The copy of the first town meeting on March 4, 1746 includes the names of Capt. Jonathan Cumings (moderator); Phinehas Underwood (Town Clerk); Phinehas Underwood, Mr. John Usher, Mr. Zechariah Stearns (Selectmen), William Datton (Constable), Ephraim Powers ("Tithinman"), Jonas Barrat ("Savaier" of Highways [sic Surveyor]), William Lund and Jonathan Powers (Field Drivers), James Karr and Timothy Underwood (Fence "Veears") [sic Viewers]. It was signed by Joseph Blanchard, Justice of the Peace.

In 1750 we find the settlers were dissatisfied with their holdings. They sent another petition to the King asking that an addition of land be given to them, saying "that they had found the land very mean and ordinary and incapable of supporting such a number of inhabitants as will enable them to support a town without a further addition of land and inhabitants." The second petition was also granted and the present boundaries of the town were fixed. At that time the surveyor's report indicated that the center of the town was at "a marked tree, on a knoll, about thirty rods southerly from Turkey Hill bridge."

In 1751 it was decided to build a meeting-house in the center of town. It stood at the corner of Turkey Hill Road and Meeting House Road. Until 1872 the old meeting-house continued to be used as the townhouse. It burned in 1896. The west wing of Merrimack's current town hall was built in 1872 and a municipal building on Baboosic Road.

In 1756 the population of the town was less than three hundred.

In 1767 the first census was taken, showing three hundred persons, young and old, living in the town, three of whom were slaves.

Wednesday, October 14, 1772, the first minister was settled in town, the Rev. Jacob Burnap [also see below Church History].

In 1773, all these grants lying north of Penichuck Brook, and including a part of Narragansett No. 5, or Amherst (granted to the soldiers of Philip's war) were incorporated into a township, at first called Souhegan East; then Rumford, and afterwards Merrimac.

In 1777 the town-meeting was called in the name of the government and people of the State of New Hampshire. In 1778 the Articles of Confederation were approved of by vote of the town and their representative was instructed to vote to instruct the New Hampshire delegate in Congress to vote for the same. Samuel Hutchinson was elected to represent the town in the Constitutional Convention which met at Concord. In 1781, Simeon Cummings was elected delegate to the convention, and the constitution that had been formed was adopted with some modifications.

In 1777 it was voted to erect stocks and a whipping post.

In 1808 the care of the poor, which had for many years devolved upon the selectmen, was disposed of by selling them to the lowest bidder, and this ... practice was continued for several years. In 1815 it required fifteen hundred dollars to support the poor. In 1835 a poor farm was purchased, as a more humane and economical method of caring for the poor, and in the following year it was voted to make it a house of correction also. The town farm was managed by an agent appointed by the town until 1868, when it was sold and the poor were ordered to be cared for by the selectmen, with the proviso that no one should be carried to the county farm prior to his wish.

April 3, 1846 the town celebrated its one hundredth year of the town's corporated existence. Robert McGaw was the president of the day; Nathan Parker and Samuel McConihe, vice-presidents; Joseph B. Holt and Capt. Ira Spalding, marshals. The historical address of the day was delivered by the Rev. Stephen Allen, pastor of the First church. It was an able discourse and contained much of the early history of the town up to that date.

In 1879 it was voted . . .to suppress the sale of cider, beer, and malt liquors.

By 1885 Merrimack included four small villages -- Reeds Ferry in the northern part, Merrimack [or Souhegan] Village in the center of town, Thornton's Ferry (situated on the Concord Railroad , along the Merrimack River), and South Merrimack, situated on Route 101A the old route of the Nashua and Wilton Railroad. The Reeds Ferry and Thornton's Ferry districts acquired their names from ferries across the river between Merrimack and Litchfield. Souhegan village took its name from the Souhegan River, which empties into the Merrimack River. In 1885 it contained about a thousand inhabitants, mostly engaged in agricultural pursuits.

Physical Description of the Town

Merrimack is situated between New Hampshire's two largest cities, Manchester and Nashua, the town of Merrimack is bounded on the east by the Merrimack River. It is located on the west side of the river bearing the same name, and extends north from the mouth of the Pennichuck Brook, a distance of about six miles. The western boundary line runs due north from the Pennichuck, at a distance of about three and a half miles from the most westerly point reached by the Merrimack River, within the limits of the town, which is at Thornton's Ferry. The northern boundary extends due west from the river until it intersects the western boundary. Hence the shape of the town is approximately a rectangle, the eastern and southern boundaries being very irregular, in consequence of the windings of the above-named streams. Its average length is about six miles and its average width a little less than five miles, and it contains nineteen thousand three hundred and sixty-one acres.

Near the northwest corner of the town, between it and Amherst, lies Baboosic Pond [also written as "Babboosuc," "Baboosuc," etc]. The largest pond wholly within the limits of the town is Naticook Lake, in the southern part of the town. It contains about seventy-five acres. Horse-shoe Pond, close to the Merrimack River, just above Thornton's Ferry, Dumpling Pond, near Reed's Ferry, and various other small lakelets diversify the scenery.

The Souhegan River enters the town from the west and winds through the middle portion, emptying into the Merrimack at Souhegan Village (center). Baboosic Brook, starting from the Baboosic Pond in Amherst, enters the town at its north-west corner, flows southeast and empties into the Souhegan River near its mouth. The Naticook Brook, starting from the pond of the same name, wanders northeast and finds its way into the Merrimack through Horseshoe Pond.

In the tongue of the early Native American tribes of the area, Merrimack signified "the place of strong current" though some writers give the less poetic meaning, "a sturgeon," Souhegan signified "the place of the plains;" and Baboosic, "the twins."

In the 1900's Horseshoe Pond was a well-known summer retreat with privately-owned summer camps located on the shore. This area was known as Hilleah Park, and Sheila's Grove. This property was sold and redeveloped.

Stewart Chase tells us in one of his books "that when the white men came to this country, they found it rich in growing things, incredibly beautiful, probably the most richly endowed of all continents of the world." Merrimack is only a small portion of the continent and notwithstanding the fact that the early inhabitants found the soil "mean and ordinary," it shared in the beauty and rich endowment of which Stewart Chase tells us. The waters were teeming with many varieties of fish, there was an abundance of wild life, lofty trees, hoary with age, covered the land, plants, shrubs, flowers of use and beauty were on every hand. Those wonders and beauties have gone forever as have the Native Americans who lived amidst nature's riches for untroubled centuries.

The Native Americans loved the Merrimack Valley, even so when the white men came among them they were disposed to be friendly though history tells us of skirmishes and bitterly fought contests; much of this was brought about by unjust dealings of the white men and machinations of the enemies. Then the Indians saw, as Passaconaway, the wise old warrior had told them "that soon the pleasant places they had known would be theirs no more." They rebelled and sadly saw their race disappear from the valley where they had hunted and fished and that has resounded to the cries of their camp fires. And then? The place knew them no more.

It is hard for us to realize the hardships of the early settlers. Their comforts were few; they endured cold and hunger; for long years all of their supplies were brought to the settlement on the backs of men, through unsettled, hostile country; when sick, there was no doctor to ease their suffering. Naturally, they learned the ways of healing. In time, the scene changed; tools came to the settlement; grist and saw mills were built; comfortable homes took the place of rude shelters; narrow trails were expanded into roads and bridges; horses and cattle came, teams and stage coaches traveled the highway and boats went up and down the river.

Farming was necessarily the occupation of most of the early inhabitants but many small industries sprang up in different sections of the town, largely supplementary to farming.


Some settlements were made within the limits of today's town of Merrimack NH as early as 1673, and in 1675, [probably closer to 1665, see below] John Cromwell, a fur trader, built a trading-house on the bank of the Merrimack, about a mile below Thornton's Ferry. (This is known to be true).

Other stories about John Cromwell, and his trading post are NOT TRUE.

DESPITE the stories stating he used his foot for a pound weight in weighing the furs he bought, there is NO DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE OF THIS, and I believe it to be fictional. As far as the story about the Indians not appreciating his business methods, forming a scheme to get rid of him; but when they reached his abode the bird had flown; so they burned his house--I have not found evidence of this Reportedly many stories of "buried treasure" resulted, and these stories are retold to this day.

[Read the article about Cromwell's trading post, the "buried treasure" and the building of Anheuser Busch's plant near that location (TXT file)]

What we do know is that probably after William Bretton bought the land on which John Cromwell's trading post stood, John was probably sent a notice to leave the premises, as within this time period he purchased land in Tyngsboro MA, just south of Merrimack, where he built a house and another trading post. John did not die a wealthy man, and so the story about the buried treasure is simply that--a story.

NOTE, December 2005: Scott McPhie of Merrimack recently sent me an email, stating the following: "I noticed on your Merrimack New Hampshire page that you have Mr. Cromwell arriving in 1675 as a fur trader. That assumption is incorrect as Mr. Cromwell arrived in Merrimack in 1655. The Suffolk County Registry of deeds has him listed as such in Naticook. Therefore the conclusion that no house was built in Merrimack until 50 years after 1675 would be incorrect. It would be correct to say no house was built until 1700 or so as some still exist in that time frame. I would strongly encourage you to correct this information as it will give a much more accurate picture of the area. See NH State Papers for accurate first hand account. (The Billerica Grants)"

In addition, from History of the old township of Dunstable : Nashua, Nashville, Hollis, Hudson, Litchfield, and Merrimac, N.H., Dunstable and Tyngsborough, Mass. by Charles J. Fox; Nashua N.H.: C.T. Gill, 1846, page 18
"About 1665, John Cromwell, an Indian trader also, resided at Tyngsborough, but soon after removed to Merrimac, where he built a trading house, about two miles about the mouth of Penichuck brook, at the falls which now bear his name [The Indian name of Cromwell's Falls was 'Nesenkeag,' and as was generally the case, as at Naticook, Amoskeag, &c., the land for some distance around received the same name]."

The name of the first permanent settler is not known with absolute certainty, but it is supposed to have been Jonas Barrett, who, in 1722, built his house and began to clear up a farm, about one and a half miles west of the hamlet of Thornton's. That place was later known as the Ezra Blodgett farm, was owned in 1885 by Washington Warner, and in 1909 by Mrs. Mortimer Cummings.

Soon after, William Howard, then a bachelor, settled on the farm now owned by Hazen Dodge (in 1885). He planted the first orchard, and his home ultimately became a resort for those who loved to pass a little leisure time in drinking cider.

In 1724 occurred the first and only Indian skirmish known to have happened in this town. A raiding party captured two men, Nathan Cross and Thomas Blanchard, who were manufacturing turpentine on the north side of the Nashua River. An alarm was given and a party of ten of the principal citizens of Dunstable (as Merrimack was then called) started in pursuit, under the command of Lieutenant Ebenezer French. Pressing on too heedlessly, in their eagerness to rescue their friends, they were ambushed at the brook near Thornton's Ferry. Most of the party fell at the first fire, and the rest were pursued and killed, one by one, except Josiah Farwell, who escaped to receive his death-wound in Lovewalls fight, next year. Lieutenant French was overtaken and killed about a mile from the scene of the action, under an oak-tree, whose stump yet remains on the line between the farms of C.A. Harris and Amasa Estey (in 1885). Cross and Blanchard were carried to Canada by their captors, but succeeded in securing their redemption and returned home.

Among the early settlers were Hassell, Underwood, Usher, the Blanchards, Patten, Powers, Cummings, Temple, Lund, Spalding, Chamberlain, Barnes, Taylor, Stearns, McClure, Auld, Bowers and Davidson.

John Usher, an early settler, was a man of importance, being a justice of the peace, as witnessed by several papers, still in existence in 1909. He cleared the original farm where Samuel Barron lived about 1860, where George Bean lived in 1885, and which was owned by Harrison Green and John Foster in 1909.

Benjamin Hassell was a son of Joseph Hassell Jr. of Old Dunstable, and a grandson of Joseph Sr. who settled in Cambridge in 1647. He settled on the farm owned (in 1885) by Hugh McKean and a daughter of his is said to have been the first white child born in town.

Aquila Underwood lived on the fertile meadows near Thornton's Ferry. Aquila's son, Phineas Underwood, kept the first public-house. It stood a little east of the Widow Crooker place (in 1909 the home of Mrs. Herbert Porter).

Cummings and Patten were the first deacons of the church.

Captain John Chamberlain
erected the first saw and gristmill, at Souhegan Falls, in 1734, receiving as an inducement a grant of three hundred acres from the Brenton proprietors.

Some of the first people to come to the town were the Scotch [sic Scottish-Irish]. From northern Ireland they brought with them the art of weaving and finishing cotton, linen and woolen goods.
   A mill for this purpose was built on the Souhegan River, near the stone bridge. Isaac Riddle was the operator, until he was burned out in 1818, when he rebuilt, to again suffer from fire iin 1829.
   He was succeeded by David Henderson, who carried on quite an extensive business in the manufacture of carpets, cotton and woollen goods, etc.
For years weaving continued to be a thriving industry in Merrimack. In 1882 devastating fires and inevitable change brought this to a close. [These mills stood on the north side of the iron bridge, and were doomed by fire, a boy tipping over a lantern which started a fire that consumed the buildings to the water's edge.]
   A grist-mill followed upon this site, which was soon taken away to allow for the manufacture of the first funiture made in town, and operated by Holton and Henderson. Later only tables were made here by Thomas Parker. Finally this business was succeeded by a tannery, which was owned by A.J. Foster.
   Industry in Merrimack village was at a low ebb, desertion marked the once busy spot for its own and so it continued for about thirteen years. [See industry after 1900].

In 1775 Matthew Thornton came to town and in 1776 he went to Philadelphia to sign the Declaration of Independence. Matthew Thornton was a national figure, a friend of Washington, who often sought his advice, a wise and honest man. He is buried in the cemetery at Thornton's Ferry, which he planned and presented to Merrimack. In 1885 the State of New Hampshire erected a monument to his memory which stands near the cemetery.

Tavern & Innkeepers
   Oliver Farwell built a tavern prior to 1780 on Naticook Road near the intersection of Route 101A. Known as the Rockingham House, it reportedly had a floating dance floor. It was destroyed by fire in 1931.
   McGaw's Tavern was located on Route 3, west of the Merrimack River near Reed's Ferry landing and was used by river travelers. Later it housed the post office, and even later was a gasoline station.
In 1970 the tavern was dismantled and moved to Bedford NH. Judge Patten's diary of January 20, 1781: "20th,* * *I went to Capt. Chamberlin's [in Merrimack] with the team and I got 16 Bushels of Indian corn on credit. I am going to pay it when I make a turn of the timber, the boys and I have got to the river it is 60 dollars per bushel. * * * I had one half bowl of W. I. Toddy at McGaw's [McGaw of Merrimack, a Trader] for which I paid 6 dollars." [From these prices it will be seen that the paper money had got to be worth only about one cent on a dollar.]
   McConihe's Tavern (also known as Nevin's Tavern and the Merrimack House) was located where the library is now. It was moved to the other side of Daniel Webster Highway when the library was built. These taverns were noted in the days of stage driving and long-distance teaming. President Andrew Jackson, so the story runs, stopped at the old Merrimack House long enough to get dinner and make a speech, during his visit to New Hampshire. In 1909 the Merrimack Hotel was managed by Mr. Horace Longa, "a descendant of one of the Hessian families who came into the town after the Revolution." This was also called the Jackson Inn, and later became the residence of Mr. Charles Nute
   Riddle's Tavern on Daniel Webster Highway was built by Isaac Riddle in 1807 for the use of the stockholders and officers of Riddle's Mills. It later became a private home, then the Country Gourmet Restaurant and Cafe, followed by the Woodbury House Restaurant. As of December 2005 this is Buckley's Great Steaks. Michael and Sarah have carefully renovated the tavern, so please support their efforts by becoming a patron.
   Hannah Jack Tavern was operated by James Thornton in the early 1800's. Built by his father Matthew Thornton who signed the Declaration of Independence, it has since been a private home, doctor's office, apartment house and restaurant. This building was purchased by the owners of "The Common Man" restaurant, and was being renovated in 2005, and re-opened again as a restaurant.

Early Town Buildings, Churches and Businesses
   A social library was established in 1798. Later in the 1850's a second library was formed and finally given to the McGaw Institute.    In March 1892, largely through the efforts of Dr. Warren Pillsbury, a town library was permanently established, and opened the following January with Dr. Pillsbury as librarian. He was succeeded in a short time by Dr. George H. Davis, who was followed in October of the same year by Miss Emma Cross (a native of Manchester). Miss Cross devotedly served the town as librarian for thirty-eight years, with the public library located in her home on Loop Road. She gave up rooms in her house for the accomodation of its patrons. In 1909 the library had over three thousand volumes, with trustees: Dr. Guy H. Greeley, Mrs. Josiah Henderson and Rev. Samuel Rose.
In 1925 the Lowell Memorial Library was built on Route 3, as the result of a gift to the town from Mrs. Mabel Haseltine and Mrs. Bertha Gordon as a memorial to their parents, Mr. & Mrs. Levi F. Lowell. An addition was added in 1979.

Isaac Riddle built mills for the manufacture of cotton and woolen goods and nails. He was burnt out June 10,1818, rebuilt, and carried on the business until again burned out in 1829. Later, David Henderson carried on an extensive business in the mills which had been rebuilt, manufacturing carpets, cotton and woolen goods. Most of the buildings were once more destroyed by fire in 1882, but fortunately the building owned by Thomas Parker escaped. [see below]. Riddle's mills were replaced by the Old White Mill. In 1906 this mill was bought by the McElwain Shoe Company and soles for military boots were manufactured. The building housed a chemical company in 1996.

In 1820, Merrimac contained 1 meeting house, 9 school districts and school houses, 5 taverns, 5 stores, 8 saw mills, 5 grain mills, 2 clothing mills, 2 carding machines and 2 tanneries.

At one time brick manufacturing was carried on quite extensively. Brick making, beginning in the 1830's was carried on for over fifty years. Bricks were taken down the river on flat boats until the coming of the railroad in 1839. An early brick maker was Eri Kittredge, and his business was carried on by his sons in 1885 by his sons Joseph Kittredge and Eri Kittredge Jr.
   Mr. Ward Parker was another pioneer in this kind of industry. He was a descendant of Dea. Thomas Parker, who came to this country from England in 1637. Born in Windham NH, Mr. Parker settled in Bedford in 1839, where he manufactured brick until 1850, when he removed to Merrimack, buying the farm where he lived the rest of his life. That being before the days of railroad transportation, the freighting was done by boats up and down the Merrimack River. He has the reputation of being the fastest brick moulder of his time. He held many offices of trust in town, was a member of the constitutional convention in 1876, and representative to the state legislature in 1877. He was also deeply interested in agricultural matters, and took many prizes for his fine exhibits of stock at the fairs. He lived to be eighty-four years old, leaving one son, Everett E., who was a prosperous lumber dealer.

In 1829 the Union Evangelical Church was formed, with a house of worship being built in the summer of 1829.

In 1837 the Merrimack village church was built. The South Merrimack church was built in 1829 to accommodate the people of that vicinity and adjacent towns. In 1873 the town hall was built.

According to the oral town history, presented at the Bicentennial celebration in 1946 (written by my grandmother, Mattie Kilborn Webster): "The Burnap sisters, daughters of the first minister [Jacob Burnap], had other ideas of a woman's usefulness. It is claimed that in this Town [Merrimack] they invented the making of "Leghorn hats" or bonnets, as they were called. Some of these bonnets were of black leghorn straw trimmed with peach colored crepe, and crowned with a beautiful bouquet of half-blown roses, lilacs and field flowers. They were often ornamented with a bow of ribbon, long ends or streamers on one side. A bouquet of wild poppies was sometimes placed in front surmounted by a plume of marabout feathers. The ribbon was either straw colored or striped. A little later the style changed. Pieces of brim was cut away at the back and drawn up at the crown with a large bow. Strings and rosettes were over the right ear. Some were sold in Boston for as much as $50. John Stark bought one for his wife Molly and it can be seen at the Historical Building (at Concord).
They not only made bonnets but other things from grass or plated straw. This certain kind of straw was known as "Dunstable straw." Surely those early women deserve to be remembers for their spirit of industry."
    " It [Merrimack] claims the credit of making the first Leghorn bonnets, which often sold for forty or fifty dollars," is also noted in the book: "The Merrimack River; its source and its tributaries. Embracing a history of manufactures, and of the towns along its course; their geography, topography, and products, with a description of the magnificent natural scenery about its upper waters," by J. W. Meader., published in 1869.
     "In the History of Dedham, MA, there is an extract from the Norfolk County Advertiser of August 1821: 'On Monday last was sold at auction at Merchant's Hall the elegant Bonnet which has been for several days exhibited at the store of Messrs. Hall J. Howe & Co., made by Misses Bernaps of Merrimack, N.H. of a wild grass discovered by them in that town. It was knocked off to Josiah Bradlee for Fifty Dollars. The execution of the Bonnet was very superior to the one lately sent to England from Connecticut. We understand that one of the above mentioned young ladies is now visiting at Medford and that the money was presented to her yesterday afternoon. Thus shall the skill and industry of our countrywomen ever be rewarded.' "[from The Burnap-Burnett genealogy by Henry Wyckoff Belknap; Salem, Mass.: Essex Institute, 1925, page 119]
  One Sophia Woodhouse of Wethersfield CT plyed her trade in the bonnet making business, about the same time as the Burnap sisters, however she patented her design in 1821.

The first use of the excellent water privilege at Souhegan was by Captain John Chamberlain, who built the first grist-mill and the first saw mill in town. In 1885 Stephen C. Damon's mill on the Souhegan River, in the center of town, afforded gristmill facilities and produced sawn lumber; Rodney Hodgman had a saw mill on the Pennichuck River in South Merrimack; Mr. Stowell had a gristmill and sawmill at the northwest corner of the town on the Baboosic; David T. Jones ran a gristmill on the Naticook Brook near Thornton's Ferry; Jerry Kittredge carried on the business of manufacturing overalls, pants, and jackets. There was a saw-mill at Atherton Falls [the water takes a headlong plunge here of more than ten feet. In 1909 it was reported that a remarkable stone profile is located here, rivalling in some respects the features of the Old Man of the Mountain].

Hillsborough County Record: a glimpse of the business and resources to thirty-one towns, by Richards Dodge, 1853

MERRIMACK. The inhabitants of Merrimack are almost exclusively engaged in agricultural pursuits. Soil light and sandy; there is much waste land here; the intervals of the Merrimack are productive. A marked improvement has recently been observable in the educational spirit of the inhabitants.

Statistics.--Population 1250, houses 226, families 239, farms 93; value of lands $298, 190, stick in trade, #34, 138, factories #3,750, inventory $501,840.

Justices of the Peace: Oliver Spalding Jr., John Eayrs, Robert McGaw, Leonard Walker, Edward P. Parker, D.T. Ingalls, Isaac McGaw, Benj. Kidder, M. McConihe.

Town Clerk: Caleb Jones
Selectmen: Alexander Mc. Wilkins, Benj. Kidder, Nathan Parker.
Representative: Daniel T. Ingalls
Superintending School Committee: Harrison Eaton. 12 districts.

Post Masters: Merrimack, Matthew P. Nichols; Thornton's Ferry, Caleb Jones; South Merrimack, Peter E. Smith.

Attorney, Edward P. Parker.
Physician, Harrison Eaton
Deputy Sheeriff, M. McConihe

Religious Societies, Congregational, Elbridge G. Little; South Merrimac, no settled pastor

Carpet Factories, David Henderson, J. & P. Mullen

Dry & W.I. Goods, E.P. Parker, S.C. Anderson, M.B. McConihe, David Henderson

Blacksmiths, James Kendall, J. Abbott, T.M. King, Henry Parker.

Wheelwrights, Wm. Patterson, Isaiah Herrick, Franklin Herrick.

Saw and Grist Mills, David Henderson, -- Holt, -- Fuller.

Saw Mills: Nathan parker, A. Mc'K Wilkins

1874 New Hampshire Register, Farmer's Almanac and Business Directory
MERRIMACK, Hillsborough County, New Hampshire
Population 1066
26 miles south of Concord NH; 10 miles southwest of Manchester; 8 miles north from Nashua; 8 miles east from Amherst.
Railroad stations: Merrimack, Reed's Ferry, and Thornton's Ferry, on Concord Railroad / South Merrimack on Nashua & Wilton Railroad

OFFICERS: Clerk, Benjamin Ela; Treasurer, M.P. Nichols; Selectmen, Isaac Fitts, Artemas Knight, A.C. Darrah; Supts, M.P. Nichols, John L. Spaulding.
JUSTICES -- Harrison Eaton, David Henderson, S.C. Anderson, A. McC. Wilkins, Benjamin Ela, O.M. Parker, Isaac Fitts, C E. Humphrey, N.Y. Oliver.

CHURCH -- Cong., C.L. Hubbard
HOTEL -- Merrimack, H.N. Colston
LITERARY INSTITUTION -- McGaw Normal Institute, B.H. Weston, pr.
MANUFACTURERS -- extension tables, Thomas Parker; shoddy, Wm. Mitchell; woolens, David Henderson.
MECHANICS-- carpenters, G.W. Moulton, C.E. Humphrey, Joseph Shedd, Wm. E. Brown, F.A. Chamberlin; painter, F.F. Walker; shoemaker, G.H. Bixby; wheelwright, Henry F. Herrick.
MERCHANT --N.Y. Oliver. Physician-Harrison Eaton.

CHURCH--Thomas Herbert
MANUFACTURERS--lumber, Rodney Hodgman
MECHANICS-- coopers, Horace Evans, Sanderson & Son wheelwrights, Wm. Patterson & Son.

EXP AGENT--C.S. Nesmith MERCHANT-- S.C. Anderson
MANUFACTURERS-- brick, Joseph & Eri Kittredge; fish barrels, kits, cooper stock and lumber, Fessenden & Lowell; overhalls, J.W. Kittredge, F.F. Walker
MECHANICS--blacksmith, Geo. W. Colston; coopers, Fessender & Lowell. Merchant--G.B. Griffin

In 1872 or 1873 the Fessenden & Lowell Company commenced business at the Reed's Ferry section of Merrimack and were manufacturers of fish and syrup packages, cooper stock, and lumber. The corporation was formed originally by co-partnership of Benjamin F. Fessenden, Anson D. Fessenden and Levi F. Lowell of Townsend, Mass. From a small beginning this business developed into one of the largest industries of the town, and continued under the above partnership until the death of Benjamin Fessenden in 1882, when his part of the partnership was succeeded by his son, Anson D. Fessenden. In 1893 the partnership was changed to a stock company, retaining the same name, Fessenden & Lowell, as before. It was still operating in 1885. The company manufactured lumber, kits, pails, kegs, half-barrels and barrels, nearly all of which were made from native pine which was bought in the vicinity of these mills. In 1909 the business was managed by Levi F. Lowell, president and general manager of the package department, and George P. Butterfield, who was general manager of the package department, and John E. Haseltine, who was manager for the stone and the mill. Alfred N. Fessenden, son of Andson D. Fessenden of Townsend, was treasurer at the same time.
     Fessenden and Lowell also built a company store on the corner of Depot Street and Route 3 for the convenience of the employees of their cooper shop. (Charles Nesmith, an associate of Fessenden and Lowell, operated the store for a time.) A fire destroyed this store it was rebuilt and became the property of the Jenkins family. The post office was located in this building with Raymond Jenkins as postmaster. Later Stanley and Millie Green operated the store when it became known as the Reed's Ferry Market. In 1873 a cooperage was established at Reeds Ferry by Fessenden and Lowell, becoming one of the largest of its kind in the state. In 1913 Mr. Lowell died. In 1929 the plant moved to Townsend MA.

In 1885, the Thomas Parker Table Company manufactured black walnut and chestnut extension tables and dining and office tables. There were three stores in town including Porter & Co. at Reed's Ferry, W.J. Ayer at Souhegan; and G.B. Griffin at Thornton's Ferry. There was only one hotel in this year kept by William Kennedy at South Merrimack --its principal income derived from summer boarders. One physician--Warren W. Pillsbury-- resided in town this year, but no attorneys.

On August 28, 1885, an act of the legislature authorized the erection of a suitable monument to the memory of Matthew Thornton, upon a site selected and donated by the town. On September 29, 1892, this monument was dedicated with appropriate ceremonies, the Hon. William T. Parker being president and Hon. Charles H. Burns the orator of the day.

1884 New Hampshire Register, Farmer's Almanac and Business Directory
MERRIMACK, Hillsborough--Pop 1,042. S. from C. 26; S.W. fr Manchester, 10. N. from Nashua, 8. R.R.S--Merrimack, Reed's Ferry, and Thornton's Ferry, on Concord R.R. South Merrimack, on Nashua and Wilton R.R.
OFFICERS--Clerk, W.M. West; Treas. M.P. Nihols; Selectmen, Thomas Parker, Hermon S. Fields, Everett E. Parker; Supt. W.W. Pillsbury.
Postmaster & Exp. Ag't -- J.T. Jones
Justices--W.T. Parkers, State; A. Mc. Wilkins, D.O. Danforth, W.W. Pillsubry, W.M. West, G.F. Spaulding.
Church--Cong. E.A. Slack
Literary Institution--McGaw Normal Institute, Elliot Whipple
Manufacturers--extension tables, Thomas Parker; model baker, Joseph Cross
Merchant--W.J. Ayer
Physician--W.W. Pillsbury

Postmaster and Merchant--Asaph Evans
Church--Cong., ---. Ex. Ag't G.E. Patterson.
Hotel--Kennedy's Hotel, William Kennedy
Manufacturers--Lumber, Rodney Hodgman
Mechanics--carpenter, Geo. E. Patterson.
--Reed's Ferry--
Postmaster--M.P. Nichols
Exp. Agent--C.S. Nesmith.
Merchant--S.C. Anderson
Manufactuers--brick, Joseph & Eri Kittredge; fish barrels, kits, cooper stock and lumber, Fessenden & Lowell; overalls, J.W. Kitredge.
Mechanics--blacksmiths, J.M. Fosdick, J.B. Elliot.
--Thornton's Ferry--
Postmaster & Exp. Ag't--Geo. Albee
Merchant--G.B. Griffin

Houses of Worship
One of the first considerations of the forefathers was their spiritual welfare and they early sought a place of worship.
   The first meeting-house was erected in what is now the town of Litchfield (which area then included what is now the town of Merrimack). It was a frame house, begun in 1736, but not completed for several years. The first minister there was the Rev. Joshua Tufts, a young graduate from Harvard, who received the salary of one hundred and fifty pounds, old tenor. There were then twenty-six voters on the east side of the river and one less on the west side in Merrimack.
   They also held meetings in homes or wherever convenient until their first church (in the current boundaries of Merrimack) was built, near Turkey Hill in 1772.

   Wednesday, October 14, 1772, the first minister was settled in town, the Rev. Jacob Burnap, and his ordination took place amid impressive ceremonies, attended by the representatives of thirteen church. The meeting house was not finished them, but loose floors were laid and stairs built to reach the galleries. [Dr. Burnap was pastor almost fifty years, he was twice married and had a family of thirteen children].
   Among those who were efficient in this early church society was Deacon Jonathan Cummings, who lived on the farm once occupied by William McKean and owned (in 1909) by John Green of Nashua. Deacon William Patten was another interested in this church movement. He settled near where the school-house in District No. 6 formerly stood. Samuel Spalding, the ancestor of the Spaldings in Merrimack was also active in this work.

   This old meeting house stood for many years as an interesting monument of bygone days. After a time, a more central location being desired to accomodate the increasing population along the river, it was used for a town house until the new town house was built in 1872, when it was abandoned for that purpose and left to fall into decay. Finally the town voted to repair the ancient structure, but before this action could take effect it was burned on the morning of July 4, 1896, and thus one of the most interesting landmarks in this vicinity was lost.
   An innovation that created considerable opposition at the time was the placing of stoves in the meeting house by individuals, so that it would be more comfortable upon a biting winter's day when the members were in duty bound to listen to one of the old-time sermons, when the time consumed in preaching far outweighed the short sermons of today. The credit of the introduction of this method of warming the houses belongs mainly to the efforts of Dr. Abel Goodrich, one of the most influential and respected citizens of the town then, and to Mr. Daniel T. Ingalls, another respected member of the society.

   A second Congregational Church, known as the Union Evanglical Church, Rev. Samuel H. Tollman, pastor, was organized in 1829, and the meeting house built at what was called Centreville or South Merrimack.
   [See the "Organizations" section of this web site for a current list of houses of worship in Merrimack NH]

Historic and Old Buildings
There are some old historic buildings in town. [SEE OLD TAVERNS above] The old store at Reed's Ferry, kept by Jacob McGaw and then by his son Robert McGaw, is where Matthew Thornton, Jacob Burnap, Horace Greeley and other celebrities of the day used to trade. [This is now the Getty Station]. There was the Jackson Inn, later the house of Mr. Charles Nute, where President Jackson is said to have stopped for dinner in 1830 on his way to Concord. And Nevins hotel, later an apartment house, where the banquet was held at the centennial celebration in 1846.

The brick store, owned in 1946 by William Abbott is supposed to have been built with bricks made in the Kaolin farm bricks yards, by the masons, for some purpose of their own. The date of the building is unknown.

There is also the home of Walter Kittredge, author of "Tenting Tonight," one of the finest songs of the Civil War period. Every section of the town has some intriguing memento of those far off days.

Merrimack numbered among her substantial citizens Mr. George Franklin Spalding, who lived upon "Appledore Farm," which consisted of seven hundred acres of timber and tillage land, situated five miles from Nashua. The Spaldings were with the first to settle in Merrimack, and their ancestry can be traced back eight generations.

In 1798 Jonathan Wheeler built a cape-style house on Peaslee Road. After his death his daughter inherited the property, and then her daughters who both married a Mr. Kent. Their son G. Harold Kent owned "The Kent Homestead."

Education in Merrimack
Another first consideration of early times was education for the children. The old town reports testify to their ardent desire to have their children learn for they are given over almost wholly to a detailed account of the qualifications of the teachers, their success in teaching and the advancement of pupils. Through the years this consideration has not abated, the Merrimack schools have steadily advanced.

In 1776 the selectmen were instructed to "divide the town into school districts and proportion the school money among them." In 1783 the school districts were authorized to expend the school money. In 1810 a step in advance in behalf of education was taken by appointing a committee to inspect the schools. The first committee consisted of Rev. Jacob Burnap, James Wilkins and Simeon Kenney. This was the beginning of supervision of schools.
   In 1826 the district system was begun and committees elected by the different districts with a town superintendent to look after the examination of the teachers.

In the mid-1800's several school houses were built from bricks made in the Merrimack brickyards. All have since been torn down.

By 1885 the number of pupils enrolled was about 170, all of whom studied reading, spelling and penmanship; nearly all studied arithmetic and geography, about one-half studied grammar and one-third United States History. There were few classes in drawing and vocal music, and few pursued High School study. In 1885 18 Merrimack students were enrolled at McGaw Normal Institute, two former students were attending college, and one was a student of medicine.

McGaw Normal Institute was established in 1849 in the Reeds Ferry section of Merrimack, overlooking the Merrimack River. The founder of this system of school work was Prof. William Russell, who secured supporters for his then speculative idea of having a school for the training of teachers. A charter was obtained in 1849, and the following August the stockholders organized with Mr. Robert McGaw as chairman and Matthew P. Nichols as secretary and treasurer. The number of pupils the first term was sixty-five, and certainly the projector of this school had reason to be hopeful for the result. Orderly deportment was strictly followed and the school continued to flourish, having an average attendance of a little more than fifty.
   Professor Russell was succeeded in 1853 by Mr. Henry Brickett, who resigned after four years. Messrs. Levi Wallace and Samuel Morrison followed him as teachers, after which Messrs. Hartshorn and Brown held possession for a year or more, calling it the Hillside School.
   In 1865, inspired by the war, a radical change was made, and it became known as the Granite State Military and Collegiate Institute, and for a while it was successfully carried on by the Rev. S.W. howell, but this interest lessened until only one pupil remained, and at the end of ten years the school was abandoned and the building taken for tenement purposes.
   At this dark hour of the school, its earliest and firmest friend, Mr. Robert McGaw, passed away, but in his will he provided an endowment of $10,000, with the provision that the school should be restored to its original character and be known as the McGaw Normal Institute. Thus in 1872, the institution received new life, the buildings were repaired, and Mr. Bartlett H. Weston installed as principal. He retained his position for seven years, to be succeeded by Prof. Elliot Whipple.
   In 1900 Prof. David F. Carpenter became principal. A native of Salem, Mass., he graduated from the Salem Academy at the age of thirteen, and finished a course in the Massachusetts Agricultural College in 1886, when he was eighteen. During the years of Professor Carpenter's government, McGaw Institute flourished as well as could be expected under the conditions overruling it. The care and responsibility of maintaining such a school had fallen largely upon the son-in-law of Mr. McGaw, Hon. Francis A. Gordon, who was the leading trustee of the institute and who had a deep interest in educational matters. When the school became too great a burden for him, he appealed to the town for assistance. This was given willingly, and it was voted to make the needed repairs upon the building, put in new furniture and equipments demanded by the state, and otherwise forward the good work of a first-class school. Five trustees were elected, the new board consisting of Carmi M. Parker, president; Francis A. Gordon, vice-president; David R. Jones, John E. Haseltine and William Patterson. Professor Carpenter, in the meantime, had secured a lucrative position as superintendent of schools for Hanover (town schools), Orford, Piermont and Warren [N.H.] where he located. Prof. Leverett V. Symonds, a graduate of Williams and a post-graduate of Harvard, accepted the invitation to become principal in 1906, and, with a new laboratory and apparatus, under its new management and financial assurance, McGaw Normal Institute promised many years of usefulness. In 1946 it was conducted as a high school.
   Some of its students/graduates included: Mark Bailey, professor of elocution at Yale College; Hon. Daniel Barnard, lawyer and statesman of Franklin NH; Joseph Cushman, one of the principals of McGaw Institute in later years; Levi Wallace, a principle at McGaw and afterwards a prominent lawyer of Groton, MA; John Swett, for many years superintendent of public instruction in California; Mrs. Harriet Newell Eaton, a poetess and prose writer of ability; Walter Kittredge, the popular singer, author of "Tenting on the Old Camp-Ground," "No Night There," "The Goldest Streets," etc.

Business & Manufacturing after 1900
About 1900 new life came to the deserted industrial section of Merrimack. A bobbin shop was located in the old shoddy mill left from the fire of 1882. This business shortly moved to Goffstown.

   Charles S. Nesmith, who had a residence at Reeds Ferry, established an excelsior making plant in Merrimack, in February of 1900. Dependant at first on water power, he added steam, so that he was able to work the year round. Poplar wood was used, and fifteen hundred tons of excelsior were made annually in 1909. In 1946 this business was operated by Gordon and Haseltine and was situated near the railroad station.
   Mr. Nesmith came from "good old Scotch-Irish stock," his paternal ancestor, Robert Nesmith, being among the first settlers in Londonderry. He was a native of Merrimack, his parents being Semual and Elizabeth (McKean) Nesmith. He married Miss Ellen E. Worthly, daughter of Thomas G. and Rebekah (Moore) Worthly of Bedford.

At this time also, Gordon Woodbury appeared on the scene and built all the building operated by the International Shoe Co. and the houses on Railroad Ave. and Greek Hill (so named for the Greek workers who were employed in the mills and lived on the hill.).

The Merrimack Manufacturing Co. formerly occupied the mills and made ladies and children's shoes. In 1900 a tannery was built. A severe flood came in the early part of the year and did so much damage to the buildings built by Mr. Woodbury that he never used them again. After remaining idle for a time, they were used for different manufacturing purposes. In 1906 the McElwain Co. came, bought all of the property and formed elaborate plans for making Merrimack a city. Unfortunately, Mr. McElwain died suddenly, his brother had other ideas and the great dream came to naught. After operating successfully until 1921, the company sold the entire concern to the International Shoe Co. (doing business in 1946).

Fred Stockley came in 1921 and started a cement business which became a wonderful success. At his death, the business was purchased the Hume Pipe Company (operating in 1946).

In 1924 the Merrimack Fire Department was chartered [archived history].

The Merrimack Leather Co., by the persistence and initiative of A.E. Jebb and Sons [was] doing a thriving business in 1946.

The table business, once owned by David R. Jones then E.R. Bates and Co. became the National Furniture Co., Inc. in 1946 [this was located near the site where original Chamberlain mill stood].

Worster and Sons [had] a small, enterprising wood working business operating with remarkable success [in 1946].

Fire department was organized in 1924 with J.N. Henderson, chief.

In the 1930's the Merrimack Leather Company on Railroad Avenue was one of the largest employers in Merrimack. They processed hides for leather goods.


**NOTE: NO BANK** [they would have to go to Nashua, Milford or Manchester] NO HARDWARE STORE, JEWELER, JP, LAUNDRY, LAWYER, PLUMBER, REAL ESTATE OFFICE**

Antiques - Clarissa Griffin, Main St.
Blacksmith, Joseph A. Roux, Reeds Ferry
Carpenter - Archie A. Grant, Amherst Rd

Congregational - Charles S. Haynes, Reeds Ferry
Merrimack Congregational - John W. Wright, Main St.

Concrete Pipe Manufacturer - Frederick A. Stockley, Depot
Cooperage - Fessenden & Lowell Inc. off Main,
Currier - W.H. McElwain Co. Inc - (welts) Main St.
Electrician - Wilbur J. Foster, Depot
Excelsior Manufacturers - Haseltine & Gordon B&M Depot
Express Companies - American Railway Express Co B&M Depot

Farmers (48)

Jacob Bailey, Bedford Road, Merrimack
George A. Bean, Baboosic Road Merrimack
Morris C. Beard Bedford Rd Merrimack
Arthur C. Bell, Main Street Merrimakc
Joseph N. Bogart, So. Merrimack
Charles C. Bosclair Baboosic Road Merrimack
Enoch M. Boutilier S. Merrimack
Napoleon Desrochers off Bedford Rd. Merrimack
John Donovan, Bedford Rd Merrimack
Charles H. Fields, Amherst Rd. Merrimack
Elmer Fields, Amherst Rd Merrimack
Milo E. Fisher Baboosic Rd Merrimack
Egbert J. Follansbee S. Merrimack
Joseph H. Foster, Amherst Rd Merrimack
William L.R. French, Reeds Ferry Merrimack
Peter Galinsky, Tinker Rd. Merrimack
Howard W. Gamble, So. Merrimack
Joseph D. Gauther, So. Merrimack
Gilmore, Bert E. Amherst Rd Merrimack
Harry M. Green, Thorntons Ferry
Frank J. Grimes, Amherst Rd Merr
Charles S. Haynes, Reeds Ferry Merrimack
Norris Henderson E. Main Merrimack
Carl Hendrick Bedford Rd Merrimack
James C.F. Hodgeman Bedford Rd
Stanislaus Hujsak Bedford Rd Merrimack
Dana R. Hutchinson off Baboosic Rd Merrimack
Kaolin Farm Co. Main St. Merrimack
Thomas E. Karr Thornton Rd Merrimack
Frank Laroche, Tinker Rd Merrimack
Clemence Lastowka Amherst Rd Merrimack
Harrison Longa Amherst Rd
John A. McAfee Main St Merrimack
Peter Masewicz Bedford Rd Merrimack
William H. Nichols Baboosic Rd Merrimack
Charles R. Parker, South Merrimack
Bertie L. Peaslee So. Merrimack Rd.
Carl L. Pecker, Thorntons Ferry
Charles E. Putnam So. Merrimack
Thomas I. Richards, Baboosic Rd
Leonard A. Seymour Main St. Merr.
Milton R. Shonyo Baboosic Rd Merr.
David Tremblay Main St. Merr
Guy B. Watkins Reeds Ferry Merr
George Watkins Reeds Ferry Merr
Thomas Watkins, Thornton's Ferry Merr
George H. Webster So. Merrimack Rd. Merr
Edwin Weston So. Merrimack

Fox Farm - Silversheen Fox & Fur Farm, Main St. Merrimack
Furniture Manufacturers - David R. Jones (table) - Depot n RR sta

Garages (mechanics)
Elmer D. Hall Main St. Merrimack
Everett W. Merrill Amherst Rd Merrimack
Reeds Ferry Garage Main St. Merrimack

Gasoline Station
Curtis L. Bell, Main St. Merrimack
Frank B. Carroll, Main St. Merrimack
Hialeah Park Main Merrimack [at Horseshoe Pond]
Everett W. Kemp Main Merrimack
Louis LeBlanc N Main Merrimack
James Mastricola Main St Merrimack
Charles F. Russell Main St. Merrimack
Percy E. Wilburn E. State Highway Merr

General Store
George B. Griffin, Thornton's Ferry
J.W. Morse & Son, Merrimack

Fisk Bros, Main St. Merrimack
Henry Hock, Main St. Merrimack
Harry L. Jenkins, Main St. Merrimack
Peter Kiestlinger, Main Merrimack
Mrs. Mary Welch, Main Merrimack

Hairdressers - Wilfred E. Houle, Main St. Merrimack
Harnessmaker - Joseph H. Roy, Main St.

Deancroft Inn Main St.
Fairview Inn Main
Geneva Lodge (summer) Baboosic Lake
Naticook Inn, Main St.
Parker House, Depot Merr
Point of Pines House, Baboosic Lake
Thornton Mansion (summer) Main

Lumber Dealer
Fessenden & Lowell Inc, off Main
Daniel W Proctor, So. Merrimack

Lunch Dealer
Louis N. LeBlanc Main St.
John McKeown Main St. Merrimack

Music Teacher [music education] - Schneiderheinze Alice M., Reeds Ferry (back Road) Merr.
Painter - William T. Henderson, McElwain Ave Merr

Ephraim Bartlett Main St Merr
Henry P. Cogger Baboosic Rd Merr
Arthur R. Herrick Main St. Merr
Frank Martinkus Thorntons Ferry Merr
Henry C. Stimson Pulpit Rd Merr

Restaurant - Log Cabin, Main St. (SUMMER)

Roadside Stands - George W. Dow, Main St.
Tea Room - Bird's Nest Tea House Main St. Merrimack
Coffee Pot & Waffle Iron, Main St. Merrimack
Madge McKeown, Main St. Merrimack

Tanners - Merrimack Tanning Co. Depot Merrimack
Teaming - Donat Breault, Baboosic Rd. Merr
Telegraph Co.
Western Union Telegraph Co, Garden Mil, Depot Wil Dept
Telephone Companies - New England Telephone & Telegraph Co 14 South Mill Dept Merr
Undertaker Charles E. Fisk, E. Main, Merr.

Not mentioned in business list but should be
Four Railroad Stations Boston & Maine:
-Merrimack, Angus Morrison agt
-Reeds Ferry C L Webster agt [this is Clarence L. Webster, my grandfather]
-Thornton's Ferry


Lone Star Ranch
Lone Star Ranch, about 1939 (Hillbilly-Music.com)

The Lone Star Ranch, located in Reeds Ferry, New Hampshire, was opened in 1938 by country radio singer, Baron West. Baron and his friends built the ranch and opened it, featuring country bands and entertainers.
   In 1940, "Sagebrush" Jim Marshall and his band operated the ranch. In the early days, Elton Britt, Georgia Mae and other New England performers appeared on Sunday afternoons during the summer months. Jim Marshall featured acts from the Grand Ole Opry (www.opry.com, natch), movie stars including the Hoosier Hotshots, and the Sons of the Pioneers. Jim Marshall died in a car accident. In 1942, Ken Lane and his band from Lynn, Mass. and Ken McKenzie of Portland, Maine kept the ranch open.
   In 1944, the Bar X Boys from Gardner, Mass. and the Circle C Boys and others helped to run the ranch. In 1945, the ranch closed due to World War II. [Evidently in 1946,] Gene LaVerne, popular radio personality and country entertainer, took charge of the Lone Star Ranch. His band was known as The Lone Star Ranch Gang. Under Gene's guidance, the ranch grew in popularity. It featured two concerts plus an open jamboree show every Sunday afternoon. Featured performers included acts such as Roy Acuff, Kitty Wells, and Ernest Tubbs from the Grand Ole Opry, as well as WWVA Jamboree U.S.A. acts from Wheeling, W. Va. Favorites were Yodeling Kenny Roberts, Doc Williams and Chickie, Dusty Owens, and Yodeling Slim Clark." Local performers included Dwight Davis and the Linemen, Dave Miller, Doug Garron, and Clyde Joy and his band.
   In 1956, Buzz Whittaker purchased the ranch and continued to present top country shows. According to Steve Ashland, a former employee of WMUR-TV, Buzz Whittaker had a weekly television program on WMUR-TV, Channel 9 in the late 1950's. In 1983, Buzz announced that he could no longer continue to keep the ranch open. The Lone Star Ranch closed in October 1983. [written by Paul "Hank" Preston, archived web site] [See photograph] [NOTE: The Merrimack Historical Society has a small book with additional information and better photographs of the Lone Star Ranch.]

In 1946 the town had its share of secret orders and clubs. Thornton Grange, the Odd Fellows, Rebekahs, Ladies Aid, Missionary Society, Community Club, Busy Fingers Club, Thornton's Ferry Social Club, Reed's Ferry Women's Club, the South Village Club, the Catholic Women's Club. At one time there was an order of Masons and before 1946 the Horseshoe Fish and Game Club, all reaching out for social and civic betterment.

In 1946 Merrimack had two historic covered bridges [see photographs] which burned down in the 1950's. Currently there is one 32.5 ft. covered bridge (built in 1990) on Baboosic Brook, on Stowell Road. It is a prefabricated panel-lam floor system, not traditional style.

In May of 1950 woodland fires threatened homes from Derry to Nashua. The blaze started Page Road in Litchfield and burned more than 40 acres of woodland there. Merrimack was the center of the heaviest brush fire in several years. Starting shortly after the noon hour, two separate fires kept firefighters hopping, Aided by West winds of gale-like force, flames spread rapidly devouring everything in their path.
     Heaviest loser in the town was Arthur Longa, owner of Art's garage on the Route 3 highway. His building housing several cards and automotive supplies was gutted and other cards outside the building were destroyed.
     Rev. John Wright, minister of the First Congregational Church, lost a large barn and silo and two animals, a bull and a heifer.
According to Merrimack fire official, there were two separate fires, about a mile from each other.
     The first which caused the heavier damage broke out in the area around Wild Cat falls but in short time, winds carried it down to Route 3, across the highway, past the Boston and Main railroad tracks, continuing to the Merrimack River.
     About a mile north, a blaze started some distance from the rear of the Lady of Mercy church aid in its path, endangered the Merrimack town hall, the church, the library, and homes in the vicinity.
  (From: Nashua Telegraph (Nashua, New Hampshire) May 8, 1950)

Three buildings of important to the town were started in 1959 and completed in 1960--the Merrimack Medical Center, Inc., the Arthur Gordon Memorial Fire Station, and the Congregational church parsonage. The medical center was opposite the high school, with G. Donald Devereux, president of the Medical Center. The fire station and parsonage were made possible by gifts of money from Mrs. Bertha (Lowell) Gordon. On February 23, 1960, five hundred persons attended the program highlighting the dedication of the fire station.

In 1963 The Nashua Wood Products Company located in Thornton's Ferry, owned and operated by David Sklar, manufacturing molded and shaped wood parts, ie wooden handles and brush backes. It employed 40 employees

The Indian Head National Bank of Nashua, N.H. built a branch bank in Merrimack village, and opened March 2, 1964.

1964 The Merrimack school band was sent to the New York World's Fair in July of that year.

1965: construction of a new ready mix concrete plant known as Pre-Mix of New Hampshire.

During 1965 Merrimack's new post office was dedicated on September 12, 1965.

In 1965 Harry Watkins, a former long-time resident and member of the Board of Selectman of Merrimack left to the town two tracts of forest land which are to be known as the "Watkins Forests" and in addition left a substantial amount of personal estate in trust for the benefit of the elementary school grades. [Harry Watkins died March 28, 1965 in Manchester NH, age 93 buried Merrimack NH.

In 1965 a new pumper was purchased for the Fire Department.

In 1970, the population for Merrimack was 8,595. By 1997, the population had grown to 23,611. As the town grew, both large and small companies moved here, such as Unitrode (purchased by Texas Instruments in 1999), Sanders Associates (purchased by Lockheed Corp and even later by BAE), and Amherst Technologies (purchased by PC Connections).

Today Merrimack is home to several high-tech firms and large corporations. The Anheuser Busch Brewery is one of three designated U.S. locations for its famous Clydesdale horses, making the brewery a popular local attraction. Other prominent companies such as Fidelity Investments, Brookstone, PC Connection, Nashua Corp., Kollsman, and Saint Gobain have settled here, bringing well-paying jobs and business professionals to the area.

Links to lists of current Merrimack NH Companies:
- Merrimack Chamber of Commerce Members


In the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, World Wars I and II, as well as other conflicts in which our country has become entangled, Merrimack loyally supported the cause.


Edward Goldstone Lutwyche, Esq., an English gentleman of education and property, resided in Merrimac before 1776 at Thornton's Ferry, (then called Lutwyche's Ferry). He was a Colonel of the regiment in 1775, but on the Declaration of Independence he joined the English (under General Gage in Boston), left the country, to which he never returned, and at the close of the war his estate was confiscated by the State.

New Hampshire furnished more than half of the men engaged in the battle of Bunker Hill, and eleven of them were from Merrimack.

Men from Merrimack who served in the Revolutionary War (including those on the Committee of Safety, compiled from several sources): David Alld(s) (Lieut.), Isaac G. Alld(s), William Alld Jr., Benjamin Alld, John Alld, William Arbuckle, Capt. Samuel Ayers, Nahum Baldwin, Capt. Cesar/Caesar Barnes, Capt. Thomas Barnes, Eleazer Barnes, Capt. William Barron (Capt.), Jonathan Barron, Samuel Barron, Augustus Blanchard (Capt.), Jonathan Blanchard Esq., Lieut. Benjamin Bowers, Andrew Bradford, John Combs [Coombs], William Coombs, William Cook, John Cowdree/Cowdry, William Cowen/Cowin/Cowan [reported deserted in one document], Simeon Cummings, Reuben Cummings, Robert Cunningham, Solomon Danforth, Abel Davis, Thomas Davis, Corporal Gideon Davis, James Dickey, Nathaniel Dickey, Seth Emerson, John Fields, Lieut. Henry Fields, Sergent Aaron Gage, John Galt, Nathaniel Gearfield [Garfield], Samuel Gibson, James Gilmore (Ensign), Matthew Goodwin, Thomas Hammond(s), Abel Haskell, Jason Haskell, Thomas Hay, Thomas Hay Jr., John Hazleton (2d Lieut.), Samuel Henry, Ebenezer Hill(s), Ebenezer Hills, Jr., Joseph Hills, Stephen Hill, Asa Hutchinson, Solomon Hutchinson, William King, John Jacob(s), ?James Lickey [possible typo and should be James Dickey], James Mack, Timothy Martin, John McClure/McCluer, Thomas McClure (Serg't), Sargent William McClure, Benjamin McColester, Robert McCormack, Titus McGaw, William McGilvery, David Melvin, James Mores, John Neal, Joseph Nichols, James Orr, John Orr, Samuel Orr, William Orr, Benjamin Roby, Silas Roby, Samuel Spaulding, Samuel Spaulding Jr., Benjamin Stearns, Frances Steward [Francis Stewart], William Stewart, William Talbert, Timothy Taylor, James Taylor, Hugh Thornton, David Truel, Ebenezer Usher, Benjamin Vickere/Vickery, John Vickery, 1st Lieut. Zacheus/Zachariah Walker, William Wallace, John Weare/Weir/Wier, Samuel Whidden, and William Whidden. [SEE TEXT FILE for more details on companies, regiments, and places of services]

***CIVIL WAR aka War of the Rebellion***

During the Civil War or "War of the Rebellion" [1860-1865], one hundred and twenty men [115 in a second source] were called: 83 volunteered, 25 citizens sent substitutes, 9 substitutes were hired by the town, and 7 citizens re-enlisted.
     The highest bounty paid was $550, and that by a vote of the town. Great credit belongs to William T. Parker, who was military agent through the entire war. In 1892 an appropriate monument was erected to the memory of the soldiers of the Civil War.

List of Volunteers from Merrimack who served during the Civil War:
David Asquith, David Atwood, Nathaniel C. Barker, John Barnes, Gilman Blood, George F. Bowers, John H. Bowers, Charles L. Brigham, Henry F. Butterfield, Joseph Cady, William H. Campbell, Wallace Clark, Abel M. Colby, Henry Collins, Horace B. Corning (killed), George W. Darrah (re-enlisted), Matthew Dickey, Hugh Dolan, Peter H.B. Dolan, Edward A. Downs (killed), R.H. Duffey, George W. Fisher, Francis F. Flint, George W. Flint, Courtland Follansbee (died in Libby Prison), Charles G. Foot, Edward P. French., A.S. Gardner, James W. Gardner, Frank T. Gardner, Edwin Goodwin, Charles O. Gould, Horace S. Gould, Warren Green, Charles N. Green (re-enlisted and commissioned second lieutenant), James Hale, Levi W. Hall, Richard Hensen (deserted), David Henderson, Jr., James Henderson, William Henderson, Silas P. Hubbard, B. Ivison, John H. Jackman, Spence F. Jewett, Thomas Law, Patrick Lee, Charles H. Longa, George B. Longa (died in the army), John H. Longa, James W. Longa, Tyler T. Longa, H. Washington Longa (re-enlisted), Samuel Marsh, Ira Mears, Aaron Mears, Orvil A. McClure, Samuel E. McClure, James M. McConihe (re-enlisted), Charles H. McGilveray, George F. McGilveray, Edward McKean (re-enlisted), Rufus Merriam (killed), Charles W. Morgan, James L. Nash, John P.Y. Nichols (died in camp at Concord), Grosvenor Nichols, Charles W. Parker, Corwin J. Parker, Nathan A. Parker, Thomas A. Parker, Henry C. Patrick (killed), John G. Reed, James A. Reed, George H. Robbins, John L. Robbins, George W. Savage, Orison Sanderson, Alexander Shackey (belonged in Hudson), Matthew P. Tennent, George Wiley, Charles O. Wilkinson


Read first: "New Hampshire in WWI: Heroes of Merrimack" from blog, Cow Hampshire with a list of men who participated and died.

The following information about Merrimack NH during WWII is taken from the town's Bicentennial Pageant held on June 30, 1946, as written by my grandmother, Mattie Kilborn Webster, and presented on that day by Horace Patterson.

WORLD WAR I: 1917-1918
In 1917 when the War began the mothers who have sent their sons to World War II were sending their brothers and sweethearts to World War I. We as a people had been living under the comforting delusion that “it could not happen here” and forthwith had elected as our President, that great “Idealist” Woodrow Wilson on the slogan “He Kept Us Out of War.”

But soon the United States was to learn one of its most valuable lessons --that any nation founded on Democracy cannot indefinitely sit back and see that Democracy threatened and assailed in any other part of the world. And so, after War was declared, we find the “youth” of this Town rising to the occasion and answering “The Call to the Colors” with the same enthusiasm and patriotism as they had always exhibited in previous wars.

They went to Milford to enlist, Charles Emerson being one of the Recruiting Officers. We women played our part as we are doing in the recent wear. We hung a service flag in the window with its stars 1-2-3, and the Red Cross flag beside it. We sewed for the destitute of Europe particularly the Belgians. A large number took courses in home nursing sponsored by the Red Cross. We raised our Victory Gardens and conserved our food – that was the beginning of the cold-pack method of canning for the home, and the University sent out instructors to teach us how to do it, so that we might save much of the garden we had tended.

In that War we had to learn to use substitutes, although we were not rationed, in that we were short of sugar, wheat flour and many other things. We had our Thrift stamps and our Liberty Bond drive. It was the last Bond drive (I believe) which subscribed was raised in full, in about 20 minutes from the time it was opened in the Town Hall. Merrimack being the first Town in New England to report having “Gone over the top.” How proud we were the next morning when we read about it in Headlines of the daily paper.

They (“The Boys”) went from this Town 47 strong, won high praise for their gallantry and high qualities. It was largely a “Yankee Crew,” a name with a good reputation of long standing for good military conduct with a rich heritage of martial tradition. Time and again in the field of action, they achieved what the Veteran French has thought to be impossible. In mud and water-filled trenches, amid cloud of poison gas, struggling through barbed wire entanglements, they performed their duties with skill and endurance.

Many came back home with bravery citations, bearing the scars of many wounds and some with the Cross-de-guerre.
They add another chapter to the military history of this Town and their deeds rank well with those who fought in the Civil War and at Bunker Hill.

The two who made the supreme sacrifice were James Herbert Ferguson and Gilbert Duncan Fraser.

I remember Jimmy well. He went to school with me. He was the little boy who sat in the front seat, freckle-faced with a shock of red hair that was always combed but never stayed that way. Jimmy was so responsive, with a warm heart and a ready smile. Whenever I gave Jimmy an assignment he would look up and say “But Miss Kilborn, you know very well that is altogether too hard for me.” I would always reply, “Yes, Jimmy, but one can always try.” And Jimmy always
tried. Our ways parted and I forgot about Jimmy until some time later I met him one day. Uncle Sam had made a fighting man out of him. He had straightened Jimmy’s thin shoulders, filled out the hollows in his cheeks. He had put a new firm spring in his step, and a new gleam of confidence in his eye. He went to War and word came back that he would never return. Once more Jimmy had tried, and he had performed the biggest task. He had given his life to this Country that last deep measure of devotion that Democracy might live.

Then there was Duncan. He had the making of a good service man from the start. In school Duncan’s mind ran clear and true; orders never had to be repeated and never any confusion when he carried them out. Duncan had a sharp, orderly mind. He could think accurately and also had a great capacity for work. He was trustworthy and careful about all he did. One day, one unfortunate day, he was spotted by the enemy and shot down by a machine gun in the Belleau Woods.

From a report of the battle of Belleau Wood by George Pattulip as published in the Saturday Evening Post, August 31, 1918:
“Early in the fighting of June 13th
Pvt. Gilbert D. Fraser, 18th Co.,
5th Reg., U.S. Marines was shot
through the stomach. In spite of
the agony he suffered he kept up
a steady fire against a machine gun,
yelling lustily the while for more
ammunition until he dropped unconscious.”

The stone on the family lot in the Cemetery yonder bears this inscription:
Gilbert Duncan Fraser
18th Co. 5th Regiment
Shot Down in the Battle of Belleau Woods

Two trees were set out on our Church lawn; one for Duncan and one for Jimmy; and Fraser Square on the lower part of the Village was named for Duncan.

They may sleep in hallowed graves, which are carefully tended by the grateful French women who breathe a prayer with every flower they lay on their last resting places.

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place, and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields
[By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918) Canadian Army]

ADDITIONAL NOTES on Merrimack NH During WWI:

James Herbert Ferguson was born 13 July 1895 [his birth record states 1897, son of Granville & Mary Agnes (O'Conner) Ferguson, his father Granville dying 7 Jan 1905] in Merrimack NH. He enlisted from Sullivan County NH during World War I (he was living in Newport NH, working as a shoemaker at W H. McElwain Shoe Co). He was the grandson of James W. & Emily (Shaw) Ferguson who were living South Merrimack in 1910. The grandfather, James W., was originally from Massachusetts, and was a veteran of the Civil War, and a cabinetmaker.

Gilbert Duncan Fraser

Gilbert Duncan Fraser was the son of John D. & Mary Fraser who lived in Merrimack NH between 1900-1910. By 1920 they had moved to Salem CT. Gilbert was born August 1898 in Nova Scotia, Canada. He attended Merrimack NH schools. During World War I he enlisted, in the state of Massachusetts, in the United States Marine Corp, 5th USMC Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division. He was killed 12 June 1918, and was awarded the French Croix de Guerre. He is buried in Belleau France, in the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery, in Plot A., Row 10, Grave 58.

If you have knowledge of other soldiers, male or female from Merrimack NH who participated in World War I, please let me know, providing as many details as you can and I will include their names here.


Merrimack New Hampshire sent many of its young men and women to serve in various branches of the military during World War II. If you served, or you know of someone who did, during World War II and they were from Merrimack NH, provide details and I'll post their information here.

A large wooden plaque-like honor roll, a memorial to all the World War II veterans of Merrimack stood for many years on the lawn of the Lowell Memorial Library. It was removed to be restored and never replaced.

A Veterans' Monument was erected in Last Rest Cemetery by the American Legion Merrimack Post 98 and the Merrimack Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 8641. Services are held here every year.

Veterans and/or Their Stories:

Merrimack NH Honors WW2 Veterans - story from blog, Cow Hampshire

Weston L. Warriner - See "Dedicated to a Fallen Hero: Warriner Playground, Merrimack New Hampshire" - blog: Cow Hampshire

Berwin Webster
- See "World War II: When My Dad Was A MOM" - blog: Cow Hampshire

Merrill's Marauders Bridge - See a movie about how Merrimack NH's "Merrill's Marauders Bridge" came to be named. (click on "View Segment")

NH OutLook
- War Stories (movies) involving New Hampshire and New Hampshire people.

If you served in the United States military in the Korean or Viet Nam War, or you know of someone who did, and you/they were from Merrimack NH, provide details and I'll post the information here.

SP4 - E4 - Army - Selective Service
XXIV Corps
Age: 21
Race: Caucasian
Sex: Male
Date of Birth Jun 10, 1946
Marital Status: Single

Length of service 0 years
His tour began on Dec 1, 1967
Casualty was on Apr 15, 1968
Body was recovered

Vietnam Virtual Wall of Memory
Panel 50E - Line 7

April 18, 1968, Nashua Telegraph, Nashua NH
Merrimack GI Killed in Action

Merrimack--Word has been received here of the death of a Merrimack soldier killed in action in Vietnam, Monday. The victim is Army Spec 4 Richard N. Rivard, 21 son of Mrs. Irene Bartisavitch of 11 Depot Street and Joseph Rivard of Ogdensburg, N.Y. He had entered the service last May and for the past six months has been serving with Battery B of the 49th Artillery in Vietnam. Rivard attended Nashua schools and was a member of the St. Patrick's Church in that city. Prior to entering the service he was employed at the Nashua Foundry. Besides his mother and father, he is survived by a step-father, John Bartisavitch of Merrimack, eight brothers and four sisters. Further details are unavailable. The body is expected to arrive in Nashua from Vietnam early next week. The Anctil Funeral Home in Nashua is in charge of arrangements. new Hampshire has now lost 123 men to the Vietnam war. The Merrmack youth is the 108th to die in action. Fiften have met non-combat deaths.
Nashua Telegraph, April 26. 1968
Last Rites Set for Viet Veteran

Last Rites for Spec 4 Richard N. Rivard, U.S. Army, 21 of 11 Depot Street, Merrimack who was killed in action on April 15 will be held tomorrow. A native of this city and educated in Nashua schools, he had been in the Army since May 1967, and in Vietnam for six months. He was born in Nashua June 10, 1946, son of Joseph Rivard of Ogdensburg NY and Mrs. John (Irene) Bartisavitch of Merrimack. Before entering the service he had been employed at the Nashua Foundry. He was a communicant of Our Lady of Mercy Church of Merrimack. Besides his parents he is survived by his stepfather, John Bartisavitch; eight brothers, Bernard Kulingoski of Hudson, Philip Kulingoski of Nashua, Aime Rivard, Ronald Rivard and Robert Rivard of Nashua, Roy Rivard of Ogdensburg NY, Walter Rivard of Nashua, John Bartisavitch Jr. of Merrimack; four sisters: Mrs. Daniel (Edith) Higgins of Merrimack, Mrs. Frederick (Claire) Lorman of Tyngsboro MA, Brenda Bartisavitch and Patricia Bartisavitch, both of Merrimack; several uncles, aunts, nieces, nephews and cousins. The Anctil Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
April 29, 1968, Nashua Telegraph
Sp/4 Richard N. Rivard

A military funeral for Sp/4 Richard N. Rivard of 11 Depot St. Merrimack who was killed in action in Vietnam on April 15 1968 was held Saturday morning from the Anctil Funeral Home followed by a high Mass of requiem at Our Lady of Mercy, in Merrimack with the Rev. Denis Downey, pastor, officiating. Serving as a guard of honor were members of the American Legion from Merrimack and American Legion of Nashua and Gold Star Mothers.
The bearers, bugler and firing squad were from Fort Devens, Mass. Burial was in the family lot in Last Rest Cemetery in Merrimack. The flag covering the casket was presented to his mother, Mrs. Irene Bartisavitch

***IRAQ WAR***
If you served in the United States military in the current IRAQ WAR, or you know of someone who did, and you/they were from Merrimack NH, provide details and I'll post the information here.

Marine Cpl. Timothy M. Gibson (1981 - 2005) of Merrimack NH, son of Tom & Elaine Gibson; assigned to 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division, III Marine Expeditionary Force, Marine Corps Base Hawaii; killed Jan. 26 when the CH-53E helicopter in which he was riding crashed near Rutbah, Iraq. Twenty-nine Marines and one sailor also were killed. [See Tributes] [Read his letter home] [see photographs of his tribute placed in Merrimack NH]

Faces of the Fallen - New Hampshire service members who have died.


History and Genealogy of Merrimack, Hillsborough County, New Hampshire at SEARCHROOTS
Copyright 2001-
2020 | Janice Webster Brown | All Rights Reserved
Send email to the webmaster